Best Cream of Celery Soup Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Homemade Cream of Celery Soup Recipe – You won’t believe how easy it is to make this classic creamy soup from scratch with only a handful of wholesome ingredients!
Why We Love this Easy Soup Recipe
Classic cream of celery soup is wonderfully rich and, well, creamy!
If you are only familiar with the canned variety, be prepared to be amazed at how delicious the homemade version is. Seriously, there is just no comparison!
Scratch-made celery soup has a lovely bright flavor, and is satisfying without being too “heavy.” I have fond memories of enjoying warm bowls on chilly spring evenings… The fresh celery and hint of dill are light, but blended with cream and savory broth the dish becomes comforting and oh-so satisfying.
This childhood favorite is easy to make at home with just 10 simple ingredients. It’s ready to serve with your favorite soup-a-licious sides (like salad and bread!) in under an hour, and leftovers are delicious too! Give this fabulous Cream of Celery Soup recipe a try and I promise you’ll never look at that canned soup the same way.
- Butter – unsalted
- Onion – peeled and chopped
- Garlic – minced or whole
- Celery – chopped
- Bay leaf – dried
- Fresh dill – chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Chicken stock – or vegetable broth
- Heavy cream – or vegan substitute
- Salt and pepper – to taste
How to Make the Best Cream of Celery Soup
Set a large 6-8 quart soup pot over medium heat. Add the butter, chopped onions, garlic, and chopped celery. Add 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Stir and soften the vegetables for about 10 minutes. Make sure everything is very soft, without browning. If needed, turn the heat down to medium-low.
Once the veggies are very soft, add in the bay leaf, chopped dill, and vegetable broth. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove the bay leaf. Pour the soup into a large blender. Secure the lid. Open the top vent and cover the lid with a towel for safety. Puree the soup.
You can puree it until completely smooth, or leave it slightly chunky, based on your preference.
Note: You can also leave the soup in the pot and puree it with an immersion blender if desired.
Pour the soup back into the soup. Stir in the heavy cream.
Get the Complete (Printable) Homemade Cream of Celery Soup Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
Top warm bowls of homemade cream of celery soup with crunchy croutons, a sprinkle of cheddar cheese, or fresh parsley. Crispy chopped bacon is also delicious to sprinkle on top.
We love to serve the soup with a hunk of crusty bread or fresh baked roll on the side. Add a fresh green salad for a full meal!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is cream of celery soup vegetarian or vegan friendly?
This easy recipe can be made with your choice of chicken broth or vegetable broth for a vegetarian soup. To make it vegan, use your preferred plant-based butter and cream substitutes.
Is homemade creamy celery soup gluten-free?
Yes, it is! Because it’s made with heavy cream and blended, this soup has a wonderfully semi-thick and rich consistency without any flour.
How long does cream of celery soup last in the fridge?
It will keep well for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. Let the creamy soup cool to room temperature, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge.
Can homemade cream of celery soup be frozen?
You sure can! Once the soup has cooled to room temp, transfer to an airtight container or freezer-safe zipper bag (with all air removed). Keep the celery soup in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Looking for More Easy Soup Recipes?
- Light and Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Irish Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Vegan Creamy Golden Vegetable Soup
- Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup with Basil
- Nana’s Creamy Potato Soup
Best Homemade Cream of Celery Soup Recipe
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions 1 large
- 2 cloves garlic
- 5 ½ – 6 cups chopped celery from 2 bunches
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill 1 teaspoon dried
- 6 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- Set a large 6-8 quart soup pot over medium heat. Add the butter, chopped onions, garlic, and chopped celery. Add 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper. Stir and soften the vegetables for about 10 minutes. Make sure everything is very soft, without browning. If needed, turn the heat down to medium-low.
- Once the veggies are very soft, add in the bay leaf, chopped dill, and vegetable broth. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the bay leaf. Pour the soup into a large blender. Secure the lid. Open the top vent and cover the lid with a towel for safety. Puree the soup. *You can puree it until completely smooth, or leave it slightly chunky, based on your preference. You can also leave the soup in the pot and puree with an immersion blender if desired.
- Pour the soup back into the soup. Stir in the heavy cream. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Made according to recipe however, did not blend in blender. Added 4 ounces cream cheese 1/2 each of parsley, thyme, and rosemary. Thickened with 1/4 cup Argo corn starch at the end. Excellent! Thank you.
This celery soup and cheese toast are making me hungry, guess what is for dinner tonight. Thanks
Great flavor. I will put this recipe as one of my favorites. Delicious.
Made the Cream of Celery for dinner tonight and it was fabulous!! Followed the recipe as written and can’t wait to make it again.
I love cream of celery soup! This was delicious – way better than any of the canned stuff.
Oh my goodness, this soup was everything! I LOVED it!
I love how light yet creamy this soup is. Plus, the natural ingredients give it such a good flavor!