Easy Waffle Recipe
Easy Waffle Recipe – Try our classic recipe (with simple secret ingredient and key step!) for the best fluffy and crispy homemade waffles. They are quick to make from scratch and perfect for loading with your favorite toppings!
We are big fans of waffles around here.
No, really… There are over a half dozen deliciously unique waffle recipes on our site. We’ve got tropical Coconut Macadamia Nut Waffles that are perfect for summer, a recipe for Brownie Belgium Waffles a la Mode to make the best decadent dessert a waffle-lover could ask for, and even steps for making Savory Waffle Sandwiches.
If you are looking for a quick, classic recipe to make incredibly fluffy and crispy waffles from scratch, this Easy Waffle Recipe is exactly what you need!
With just a handful of pantry staples – including our secret ingredient for the fluffiest and crispiest waffles ever – and your trusty waffle maker, you can whip up stacks of mouthwatering waffles in mere minutes.
You’ll definitely want to keep this recipe on your go-to list of breakfast and brunch favorites!
The Best Waffles from Scratch
This simple recipe makes utterly fabulous fluffy, crispy waffles with a delicate sweet-butter flavor. It’s what I use every time I need a reliable and easy waffle recipe to quickly feed the family or a small gathering.
The waffles are made crispy by adding cornstarch to the batter, then keeping them in the oven (to dry and warm) until ready to serve.
Steam from the waffle maker is the culprit of having soft or soggy waffles, but adding the cornstarch and drying in the oven make a huge difference. Don’t skip these two steps!
Start to finish, a full batch of the fluffiest, crispiest, most tender waffles only requires about 30 minutes to make, and can easily be frozen for your breakfast meal plan.
What Ingredients You Need for the Easiest Homemade Waffles
There is no need for packaged mix when it is this easy to make fluffy and crispy waffles entirely from scratch. Try our homemade waffles recipe and I promise that you will never buy the boxed stuff again!
Here’s what you need:
- All-purpose flour
- Cornstarch – our secret ingredient for the crispiest waffles
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Melted butter or oil
- Vanilla extract
How to Make Fluffy and Crispy Waffles
1. First, preheat a waffle maker to high heat. Set the oven on 200 degrees F. Set a baking sheet with a rack on it in the oven to hold and warm the waffles. The rack will make sure the waffles don’t get soggy!
2. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk well.
3. Then mix in the milk, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. Stir until the mixture is very smooth.
4. Once the waffle maker is very hot, add approximately ½ cup batter (for a large Belgium-style waffle), making sure the batter is evenly distributed. Cook for 3 ½ minutes undisturbed.
Check your waffle just the timer goes off, and remove the waffle when the exterior is golden-brown.
Get the Complete (Printable) Easy Waffle Recipe Below. Enjoy!
5. Move the waffle to the warm oven and repeat with the remaining batter.
TIP: The warm oven helps remove steam from the waffles, making them extra crispy. Don’t skip!
Once all the waffles are cooked, let them rest in the oven for another 5 minutes to continue to dry and crisp.
Serve warm with your favorite toppings.
Leftover waffles can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for a day or two, and keep well in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat in a toaster or the oven for maximum crispiness!
Top the Best Easy Waffles With…
Homemade waffles are yummy enough to enjoy plain or just with a touch of butter and syrup, but are also excellent for using as a delicious base to load with your favorite toppings.
We love to top our waffles with fresh seasonal fruit, like the strawberries, raspberries, and blueberries shown in this post. You can use whatever soft fruit is available – such as peaches, bananas, and berries – for a sweet and healthy(ish) waffle!
Make homemade waffles an even more warm and cozy dish by adding a delicious hot compote, like our Mulberry Rhubarb compote.
Or get super indulgent and drizzle your fluffy and crispy waffles with rich chocolate sauce, some chocolate chips and peanut butter chips, and a hearty dollop of whipped cream.
What are you favorite ways to top a waffle?!
Can This Homemade Waffles Recipe Be Made Gluten-Free?
Absolutely! Simply swap all-purpose flour with your favorite gluten-free baking substitute. But keep the cornstarch, it’s already GF-friendly!
Looking for More Classic Breakfast and Brunch Recipes?
- How to Make Pancakes from Scratch
- Better Than Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
- Fluffy Southern Cat Head Biscuits
- Easy Sausage Gravy
- Zesty Baked Hash Brown Recipe
- How to Make French Toast
Easy Waffle Recipe
- Preheat a waffle maker to high heat. Set the oven on 200 degrees F. Set a baking sheet, with a rack on it, in the oven to hold and warm the waffles.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk well.
- Then mix in the milk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla. Stir until the mixture is very smooth.
- Once the waffle maker is very hot, add approximately ½ cup batter (for a large Belgium-style waffle) and cook for 3 ½ minutes undisturbed.
- Open and remove the waffle when the exterior is golden-brown. Move the waffle to the warm oven and repeat with the remaining batter.
- Once all the waffles are cooked, let them rest in the oven for another 5 minutes to continue to dry and crisp.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!