Cheesy Hominy Casserole
Cheesy Hominy Casserole Recipe – This classic southern side dish is rich, tender, creamy, and so deliciously cheesy! It’s nearly effortless to prepare and perfect to serve at holidays and potlucks.
Why We Love This Hominy Recipe
Really, casseroles are just about my favorite dishes to make and serve. Great for holidays, casual dinners, and large gatherings, a great casserole is A) easy to prepare and B) perfect to feed a crowd of hungry guests.
This low-country Cheesy Hominy Casserole is filled with starchy hominy, peppers, cheese, and sour cream. The texture of harmony is similar to tiny cooked potato pieces or dumplings, so you get a fresh corn flavor yet feel like you are eating a potato comfort food… But with no peeling and chopping potatoes necessary!
What is Hominy?
Hominy is a type of field corn or maize. The kernels are soaked in lye so that the husks easily come off.
The result is a soft puffy dumpling texture, with a fresh corn flavor.
- Hominy – white or golden, drained
- Red bell pepper – diced
- Onion – diced
- Green chiles – diced, with juices
- Pepper jack cheese – shredded
- Ground cumin – for an earthy, almost smoky taste
- Cayenne pepper – optional, for a kick of spicy flavor
- Sour cream – or Greek yogurt
- Panko breadcrumbs – best for a light, crunchy topping
- Salt and pepper – classic spices to bring everything together
How to Make the Best Cheesy Hominy Casserole
First, pour the drained hominy, diced red bell pepper, onions, and green chilies into a large baking dish.
Add shredded pepper jack cheese, cumin, cayenne, and sour cream to the baking dish. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper.
Use a spoon to stir and mix well to coat all the hominy in spices and sour cream.
Spread the mixture out into an even layer. Use a wet paper towel to wipe the edges of the pan if needed. Sprinkle the top of the mixture with Panko breadcrumbs.
Bake on the center rack for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden, and the edges are bubbly.
Get the Complete (Printable) Cheesy Hominy Casserole Recipe Below. Enjoy!
For ease, I’ve added raw onions and bell peppers straight to the casserole dish. They will cook in the casserole. However, some people are very sensitive to onion flavor or texture. Sautéing the onions and peppers in a little bit of butter, before baking, improves their overall flavor and softens the texture. This is just a personal preference. It’s not necessary, but worth an extra minute if you have time.
Here are a few other ways to give this recipe for hominy casserole a personal twist:
- Make this a gluten-free recipe by using your favorite GF-friendly Panko breadcrumb replacer. That’s it!
- Not a fan of spicy? Omit the cayenne pepper for a more mild dish.
- Swap sour cream for Greek yogurt for a slightly healthier casserole.
- We love the flavor of pepper jack, but feel free to swap the cheese with shredded cheddar cheese, monterey jack, or colby jack.
Pair warm, cheesy and comforting hominy casserole with your favorite cozy main dishes!
It’s a delicious side dish to serve alongside classic southern mains like Brown Sugar Baked Ham, Smoked Pork Chops, Fried Chicken, and Chicken Fried Steak. And everyone will love it on the table at holiday celebrations!
The casserole is always also a big hit at casual gatherings and potlucks. Bring it along with Retro Cornbread Salad, Creamy Sausage Cheese Dip, or Crockpot Green Bean Casserole.
Frequently Asked Questions
How is hominy different than corn?
Hominy is made from corn, and therefore is actually corn. The process of soaking the kernels is what turns the corn into hominy.
Is canned hominy good for you?
Yes, it is! Hominy is a healthy food robust with fiber, protein, and fatty acids.
Do you have to rinse canned hominy?
You do need to rinse it thoroughly before cooking. The liquid in the can is great for preserving the hominy, but does have quite an unpleasant taste.
How long do leftovers last?
Let the casserole cool, then transfer it to an airtight container. Keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Reheat briefly in the microwave.
I do not recommend that you freeze cheesy hominy casserole. The texture won’t be as pleasant if thawed and reheated.
Looking for More Easy Side Dish Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Best EASY Southern Sweet Potato Casserole
- Crock Pot Creamed Corn
- Southern Butter Bean Recipe
- Savory Butternut Squash Casserole
- Garlic Butter Scalloped Sweet Potatoes
Cheesy Hominy Casserole
- 4 14- ounce cans hominy drained (white or golden)
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- ¾ cup diced onion
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles and juices
- 8 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼-½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 16 ounces sour cream
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Set out a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Spray the baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dump the drained hominy, diced red bell pepper, onions, green chilies, shredded pepper jack cheese, cumin, cayenne, and sour cream in the baking dish. Sprinkle with 3/4 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper. Use a spoon to mix well to coat all the hominy in spices and sour cream.
- Spread the mixture out into an even layer. Use a wet paper towel to wipe the edges of the pan if needed. Sprinkle the top of the mixture with Panko breadcrumbs.
- Bake on the center rack for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden, and the edges are bubbly. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: Weekly Meal Plans 2-27-23
Everybody is present every time I make this yummy cheesy hominy casserole. It is so rich and satisfyingly creamy. Must-try!
My family enjoyed this recipe. It’s so flavorful and it’s easy to make. Thank you Sommer for this recipe. Would love to make it again.
This is a very much unheard of recipe I think, but sooo amazing! thank you so much for sharing
Delicious!! The more cheese, the better!! This dish has great flavor & would be great paired with so many things!