Best Crockpot Green Bean Casserole
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Best Crockpot Green Bean Casserole – Save oven space and make scrumptious classic green bean casserole in the slow cooker. You won’t believe how easy this recipe is to make from scratch – No canned soup needed!
Do you ever start to feel super ambitious around the holidays?
Particularly when it comes to meal planning, I tend to get really excited in the weeks before Thanksgiving. There are just so many dishes to be made! Turkey and ham, mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, stuffing and gravy, and of course, Green Bean Casserole.
But at some point, while daydreaming about the perfect menu, reality would quickly sink in. We always seemed to run out of oven space when making holiday dinners…
Crockpot to the rescue! This handy machine is ideal for turning your grand meal plans into a festive feast with ease. I now plan for 2-3 dishes to set-and-forget in slow cookers to make space. These can be set up on kitchen counters, in the dining room, or other available areas of the house. Having a small collection of crock pots is like adding another oven to your home!
Easy Crockpot Green Bean Casserole
Green Bean Casserole is the perfect side to make in the slow cooker. Everything is prepped and mixed together right there in the crock, and can be made ahead for an even easier casserole from scratch!
Frozen green beans are used for wonderfully fresh taste without the hassle of snapping and chopping beans by hand. They are mixed with cream cheese, sour cream, and onion soup mix for a smooth and luscious base that skips the need for canned soup. After the ingredients are combined in the slow cooker, the dish is completely left alone until you are ready to top with everyone’s favorite crispy fried onions and serve.
What Ingredients You Need
This best Green Bean Casserole from scratch doesn’t use any canned soups for a creamy, flavorful sauce. Instead, this easy recipe includes just a handful of wholesome ingredients for a fresher, zestier casserole!
Here is everything needed to make Crockpot Green Bean Casserole from scratch for Thanksgiving:
- Frozen cut green beans – for the easiest slow cooker casserole
- Cream cheese – full fat or low fat, your choice
- Sour cream – again, your choice of full or low fat
- Milk – whole or 2% is best
- Cheddar cheese – using packaged pre-shredded cheese is a great time saver
- Onion soup/dip mix – the secret to the best Green Bean Casserole with big flavor
- Additional seasonings – garlic powder and pepper
- French’s Crispy Fried Onions – the traditional crunchy topping
Want to try a different crunchy topping? Try adding crushed potato chips or buttery crackers for a fun twist on this classic casserole!
How to Make the Best Green Bean Casserole in the Slow Cooker
This recipe is best made in a 6+ quart slow cooker. And that’s the only dish you need!
Here’s how to make the easiest Crockpot Green Bean Casserole from scratch:
- Pour the frozen green beans into the crock. Add off of the ingredients except for the crispy fried onions.
- Stir to combine, and then spread the mixture evenly in the crock. Be sure to wipe the sides of the crock clean with a damp towel!
- Cover and set the slow cooker on HIGH for 2-3 hours, or on LOW for 4-6 hours.
Stir well when done. Then sprinkle the top with crunchy fried onions and serve warm.
I am sure this easy, space-saving slow cooking method will be your new go-to favorite for every family gathering!
Get the Complete (Printable) Best Crockpot Green Bean Casserole Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Is Green Bean Casserole Gluten-Free?
It can be! Swap the classic French’s Fried Onions for a gluten-free crunchy onion topping for a gluten-free side dish. And make sure you purchase gf-friendly onion soup/dip mix!
Can Green Bean Casserole Be Made Ahead?
You can definitely make this casserole in advance, and it will taste just as yummy reheated! Once cooked in the crockpot, transfer the casserole to a freezer-friendly dish, cover and wrap tightly with aluminum foil. Keep in the fridge overnight or the freezer for up to 2 weeks before serving. Just keep the French’s Fried Onions off until ready to heat and eat.
When you are ready to serve, heat in a preheated 350 degree oven covered with a fresh piece of aluminum foil for approximately 45 minutes. Then top with fried onions and enjoy!
How Long Will Leftovers Last?
The best Green Bean Casserole leftovers will keep well for up to 4 days in the fridge.
You can freeze the casserole for up to 2 months. However, I don’t recommend freezing portions that have fried onions on top as they will become soggy.
Looking for More Easy Holiday Side Dishes?
- Best Homemade Mac and Cheese
- Famous Corn Pudding Recipe
- The Best Creamed Spinach Recipe
- Crockpot Yeast Rolls Recipe with Apple Butter
- Amazing Gluten-Free Stuffing
Best Crockpot Green Bean Casserole
- Set out a large 6+ quart slow cooker. Pour in the frozen green beans. Add the cream cheese, sour cream, milk, cheddar cheese, onion soup mix, garlic powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Stir to combine. Then spread the mixture evenly in the crock and wipe the sides of the crock clean. Cover and set on HIGH for 2-3 hours, or on LOW for 4-6 hours.
- Stir well. Then sprinkle the top with crunchy fried onions and serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!