Blintz Pancakes with Blackberry Sauce
These delicate Blintz Pancakes with sweet creamy ricotta filling and tangy blackberry sauce make a marvelous breakfast. Surprise your family this weekend!
This winter, our life has been bustling with activities. Weekend trips, school events, business meetings, catching up with friends after the holidays… A seemingly endless, and gingerly balanced, checklist of responsibilities and squeezed-in fun.
Now that the weather is warming, we find ourselves stopping, almost involuntarily, to soak up some sunshine. Taking time to sit out on the deck with cocktails, light conversation, and laughter. Strolling through the neighborhood (or woods) as a form of serene exercise.
Life is good in the spring.
Especially early spring, before all the kids’ end-of-school activities pick up pace.
We smile more in the spring. We capture moments that we somehow seemed to miss under the blanket of cold gray in winter months.
We enjoy each others’ company, cherishing the little things that tend to annoy us when we’re all cramped up in the house.
It’s amazing what 70 degree weather and blooming tulips will do!
One of my favorite family moments is the deliciously uneventful relaxed weekend breakfast.
These breakfasts seems almost magical in the springtime with the doors and windows are all open to the fresh morning air.
Blintz Pancakes are a variety of Blini, or Russian style crepes. They are extremely thin and light egg-based pancakes that cook quickly and are pliable for folding or rolling.
Blintz Pancakes refer to blini that are rolled with fruit, cream, or cheese filling.
My simple Blintz Pancakes take very little time to prep and cook, making them a perfect weekend breakfast with unforgettable appeal.
Start by making the blintz batter in a blender. Give the batter time to rest while preparing the creamy filling and sauce. This help make the pancakes soft and supple.
The creamy filling is a blend of ricotta cheese, cream cheese, a little sugar, and lemon zest. Rich, yet not overly sweet. Just another whirrr of the blender and the filling is ready.
The fresh perky blackberry sauce is a simple “dump and stir” recipe that can simmer while the pancakes are cooking.
The Blintz batter is poured over a hot buttered crepe pan or wide skillet, then swirled into a thin 8 inch circle.
Its takes only a minute or two until the center is cooked through. Then place the Blintz on a plate, scoop the cream filling into the center, and roll.
When you have two or three Blintz Pancakes ready, put them on a plate, scoop warm tangy blackberry sauce over the top, and hand them to your favorite person in the whole wide world.
That is one lucky person.
Today, I’m sharing these amazing Blintz Pancakes on behalf of my sweet friend Joanne from Fifteen Spatulas. Joanne just gave birth to a beautiful baby boy, so a few blog buddies have come together to host a virtual baby shower for her!
These Blintz Pancakes with Blackberry Sauce not only make a drool-worthy breakfast, they also double as a dazzling dessert. They offer such wow factor, no one will ever know how quickly you pulled them off.
Visit Fifteen Spatulas today to see baby James (and find a zillion awesome recipes)… And be sure the check out all the other fabulous baby shower recipes listed below.
Italian Sub Sandwich Roll-ups from Michael of Inspired by Charm
Smoky Roasted Red Pepper Sun Dried Tomato Hummus from Jeanette of Jeanette’s Healthy Living
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup from Sadie of Dairy Good Life
Whipped Goat Cheese & Blueberry Balsamic Crostini from Meseidy of The Noshery
Rosemary Flatbread with Baked Goat Cheese from Heidi of Foodie Crush
Spring Herb Cream Cheese Appetizer Cups from Rachel of Rachel Cooks
Crostini with Almond Ricotta and spicy olive tapenade from Heather of Heather Christo
Chocolate-Covered Rice Krispies Treats from Julie of The Little Kitchen
Orange Fluff from Jamie of My Baking Addiction
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pretzel Brownies from Susannah of Feast + West
Mini Ombre Heart Cookies from Bridget of Bake at 350
Mini Coconut Pound Cakes from Mary of Barefeet In The Kitchen
Yellow Sheet Cake with Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting from Jennifer of Savory Simple
Unicorn Shaped Cookies from Jessie of Cake Spy
Oreo Cheesecake Bites from Brenda of A Farmgirl’s Dabbles
Lemon Blueberry Bread from Glory of Glorious Treats
Pastel Rainbow Cake from Bree of Baked Bree
Individual Chocolate Souffles from Andie of Andie Mitchell
Blintz with Blackberry Sauce (mine!)
Blintz Pancakes with Blackberry Sauce
For the Blintz Pancakes:
Sweet Ricotta Filling:
- 12 ounce ricotta cheese
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Place all the ingredients for the pancake batter in a blender. Puree until very smooth. Then let the batter rest while you prepare the filling and blackberry sauce.
- For the sweet ricotta filling: Place the ricotta, cream cheese, sugar and lemon zest in a blender mixer. Blend (or beat) until very smooth, then set aside.
- For the blackberry sauce: Place the blackberries, sugar and cornstarch in a sauce pot. Heat over medium and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes, then crush about half of the berries with a wooden spoon. Stir and remove from heat.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet or crepe pan to medium heat. Once hot, brush a little butter over the pan and pour 1/4 cup pancake batter on the hot surface. Quickly swirl the batter around to form a thin 8-inch circle. Cook for 1-3 minutes, until the center is solid to the touch.
- While the pancakes are hot, spoon approximately 3 tablespoons of ricotta filling over the warm pancake and roll it up. Place 2 or 3 rolled blintz pancakes on a plate and spoon warm blackberry sauce over the top. Garnish with sliced almonds or powdered sugar if desired.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!