Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers Recipe
Grilled Chicken Skewers
For the last few weeks, we’ve been brushing the snow off the grill in order to usher in the beginning of spring.
By spring, I mean grill season. And now that the weather is warming and grilling is enjoyable again, we’ve been grilling a 5-Ingredient wonder we call Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers.
This is a dish we make, that takes no time at all, and offers a serious flavor-smack with only a handful of ingredients. It truly is amazing!
If you don’t have a grill or prefer not to fire it up, you can still make these! Follow along for tips on how to cook kabobs in the oven instead!
Chicken Skewers Recipe Ingredients
These zingy juicy BBQ Skewers are made with just 5 simple ingredients, one in particular, that makes all the difference! Ingredients include:
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (or chicken thighs)
- Thick Cut Bacon Strips
- Sweet BBQ Sauce
- Chipotle Peppers – canned in adobo sauce
- Musselman’s Apple Butter
The skewers are laced with pieces of thick-cut bacon to keep the chicken juicy and flavorful on the grill. Then we bumped BBQ sauce to another level, by pureeing it with sweet Musselman’s Apple Butter and chipotle peppers.
The apple butter provides depth and richness to the BBQ sauce, while the chipotle peppers offer smoky heat.
How to Make This Chipotle BBQ Chicken Kebab Recipe
(For the full recipe with measurements and times, see the recipe card below)
- Soak eight wooden skewers in water. Preheat the grill to medium or medium-low heat. Cut the chicken breasts into 3/4 inch bite-sized pieces. Then cut the bacon into 3/4 inch strips. Alternate threading the chicken and bacon onto eight skewers, leaving a bare handle on one end of each skewer. Sprinkle the chicken skewers with salt and black pepper.
- Place the BBQ sauce, Musselman’s Apple Butter, and chipotle peppers in the blender. Puree until smooth.
- Grill the chicken skewers across the grill grate. Then brush the skewers with the chipotle apple BBQ sauce and grill again, until the edges of the bacon are crisp, but not burned. Serve warm.
You can also use a small bowl to hold the leftover sauce for dipping while eating.
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
See The (Printable) Recipe Card Below For How To Make This Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers Recipe. Enjoy!
How to Grill Bacon
You might think grilling bacon is a bad idea… Please allow me to try to change your mind.
If grilled bacon makes you think of fiery flare-ups and pork-fat burnt to a crisp, let’s talk about grilling temperatures.
Some people are under the impression that a grill should always be heated to the highest temperature possible for quick cooking. However, my grill goes up to over 750 degrees F. Can you imagine what that would do to bacon? Or chicken, for that matter.
Lower-temperature grilling offers you control and flexibility.
Try heating your grill to only medium (350-450 degrees F) or even medium-low (around 300 degrees F) heat. This will allow you to cook the chicken all the way through while crisping the edges of the bacon without flare-ups under medium-high heat.
Chicken Kabobs in Oven
Don’t have a grill? You can also bake these grilled Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers in the oven. This recipe doesn’t have to be limited to the spring or summer with the baked version. Make this any time during the year for a tasty meal for any cookouts!
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Thread the skewers with chicken and bacon, then puree the bbq sauce as directed above.
- Lay the chicken skewers on an aluminum foil-lined rimmed baking sheet and brush well with the bbq sauce.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges of the bacon are crispy. Serve warm!
Side Dishes for Chicken
Here are some delicious side dishes that are perfect with this barbecue chicken skewers recipe.
- Lemon Butter Roasted Asparagus
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Salad
- Oven Roasted Broccoli Recipe
- Healthy Rainbow Chopped Salad
- Cherry Tomatoes and Basil Focaccia Bread
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Grilled Vegetable Marinade Recipe
- Caribbean Confetti Rice
- Stuffed Zucchini Boats
Your friends and family will go crazy over this recipe at your first neighborhood barbecue this spring. Fortunately for you, when they ask for the recipe you can count off the ingredients on one hand!
Frequently Asked Questions
Since the chicken pieces on these skewers are pretty small, the chicken should be done right around the same time that the bacon gets nice and crispy. If you are unsure, check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer to make sure it is cooked to 165 F!
Store any leftovers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3-5 days. Reheat in the microwave and serve with all of your favorite sides!
Other skewer recipes you might like:
- Balsamic Chicken Skewers with Israeli Couscous
- Teriyaki BBQ Shrimp Skewers
- Honey Sriracha Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Vegetable Kabobs with Fajita Butter
- Fruit Skewers
- BBQ Sauce Glazed Pineapple Ham Picks
- Chocolate Strawberry Kabobs from I Heart Naptime
Check the printable recipe card below for the prep time, total time, and nutrition information including calories, protein, cholesterol, sodium, and fiber percentages.
Chipotle BBQ Chicken Skewers Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 thick cut bacon strips
- 1 cup sweet BBQ sauce
- 2/3 cup Musselman's Apple Butter
- 2 chipotle peppers (canned in adobo sauce)
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the grill to medium or medium-low heat. (Between 300-350 degrees F.) Cut the chicken breasts into 3/4 inch bite-sized pieces. Then cut the bacon into 3/4 inch strips. Alternate threading the chicken and bacon onto 8 skewers, leaving a bare handle on one end of each skewer. Sprinkle the chicken skewers with salt and pepper.
- Place the bbq sauce, Musselman’s Apple Butter and chipotle peppers in the blender. Puree until smooth.
- Grill the chicken skewers for 4 minutes per side. Then brush the skewers with the chipotle apple bbq sauce and grill another 3-4 minutes per side, until the edges of the bacon is crisp, but not burned. Serve warm.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Musselman’s Apple Butter. All opinions are my own.