A healthy gluten free Pumpkin Chili recipe your family will go nuts over!
However, when my classic chili hand has been overplayed, I turn to alternative chili recipes like…
Last month, when we finally got a short break in the hot weather, I sat a heavy sauce pot out to start a large batch of chili for dinner. While I was pulling out cans of crushed tomatoes from the pantry, I noticed a couple large cans of pumpkin puree leftover from last year.
Tomatoes provide a tangy sweetness to chili. What would chili with earthy pumpkin puree taste like?
I had to know.
I nixed the tomatoes and made an almost classic chili recipe with pumpkin puree.
It was amazing! Several bites in, my family couldn’t believe how rich and flavorful the Pumpkin Chili turned out.
In fact, we decided Pumpkin Chili might be our new go-to chili recipe.
Substituting pumpkin for tomatoes does several wonderful things…
- It gives the chili a sweet rustic essence and deep flavor.
- It provides a thicker luxurious texture.
- It’s a fabulous platform for fall spices.
- And it tastes great with pork or chicken, if you aren’t a beef lover.
Usually I add beer to my traditional chili recipe to offer a deeper note.
In this Pumpkin Chili recipe, I carried on the fall flavors by pouring in apple hard cider instead. The apple undertones in the chili balance out the spice and make this chili recipe very hard to resist!
In fact, if you don’t tell your friends and family what’s in the chili until after dinner, they might not even guess it’s pumpkin chili.
Instead, they’ll be wondering what made tonight’s chili so amazing… And when you are going to make it again!
Yield: 6-8 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:40 minutes
We love this amazing Pumpkin Chili Recipe! Zesty earthy chili made with pumpkin pure for an unexpected richness that beats tomatoes.
- 2 pounds ground pork (or ground chicken)
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers canned in adobo sauce, chopped
- 29 ounce can 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 2 – 12 ounce bottles hard cider (gluten free)
- 2 – 15 ounce cans kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Optional Toppings: sour cream, cilantro, red onion
- Place a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the ground pork and break into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic, and chipotle peppers. Cook until the meat is browned and the onions are soft.
- Pour the pumpkin puree, hard ciders, beans, and chicken broth into the pot. Add chili powder, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and bay leaves. Stir well.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Serve warm with toppings if deserved.
Yield: 6-8 servings, Serving Size: 8
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 781 Calories
- Total Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated Fat: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 83mg
- Sodium: 1141mg
- Carbohydrates: 95.4g
- Fiber: 10.7g
- Sugar: 52.9g
- Protein: 38.7g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!