A healthy gluten free Pumpkin Chili Recipe your family will go nuts over!
Best Chili Recipes
However, when my classic chili hand has been overplayed, I turn to alternative chili recipes like…
- Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Chili
- Slow Cooker Chili Mac and Cheese
- Best Turkey Chili
- Frito Chili Cheeseburgers
- Nachos with Chili Con Carne
- New Mexican Green Chili
- Vegan Chili
- Paleo White Chicken Chili
- Paleo Chicken Chile Verde
Last month, when we finally got a short break in the hot weather, I sat a heavy sauce pot out to start a large batch of chili for dinner. While I was pulling out cans of crushed tomatoes from the pantry, I noticed a couple large cans of pumpkin puree leftover from last year.
Tomatoes provide a tangy sweetness to chili. What would chili with earthy pumpkin puree taste like?
I had to know.
Pumpkin Chili Recipe
I nixed the tomatoes and made an almost classic chili recipe with pumpkin puree.
It was amazing! Several bites in, my family couldn’t believe how rich and flavorful the Pumpkin Chili turned out.
In fact, we decided Pumpkin Chili might be our new go-to chili recipe.
Paleo Pumpkin Chili Recipe
Substituting pumpkin for tomatoes does several wonderful things…
- It gives the chili a sweet rustic essence and deep flavor.
- It provides a thicker luxurious texture.
- It’s a fabulous platform for fall spices.
- And it tastes great with pork or chicken, if you aren’t a beef lover.
Pumpkin Chili Secret Ingredient
Usually I add beer to my traditional chili recipe to offer a deeper note.
In this Pumpkin Chili recipe, I carried on the fall flavors by pouring in apple hard cider instead. The apple undertones in the chili balance out the spice and make this chili recipe very hard to resist!
In fact, if you don’t tell your friends and family what’s in the chili until after dinner, they might not even guess it’s pumpkin chili.
Instead, they’ll be wondering what made tonight’s chili so amazing… And when you are going to make it again!
Award Winning Pumpkin Chili Recipe
Update: Last fall, my daughter Ava and I entered this pumpkin chili recipe in a local chili cookoff… And won!
In the last two years since I originally posted this recipe, I’ve had several people email me to say they had also used this recipe for neighborhood, state fair, and sponsored chili competitions and they all placed in first or second place!
Why not give this rustic “award winning” pumpkin chili recipe a try!
More Chili Recipes We Love!
- 2 pounds ground pork, or ground chicken
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 29 ounces 100% pure pumpkin puree (1 can)
- 2 bottles hard cider, gluten-free (12-ounce bottles)
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained (15-ounce cans)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-2 bay leaves
- Optional Toppings: sour cream, cilantro, red onion
- Place a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the ground pork and break into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Add the chopped onion, bell pepper, garlic, and chipotle peppers. Cook until the meat is browned and the onions are soft.
- Pour the pumpkin puree, hard ciders, beans, and chicken broth into the pot. Add chili powder, cumin, salt, cinnamon, and bay leaves. Stir well.
- Simmer for at least 30 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Serve warm with toppings if deserved.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!