Utterly irresistible Slow Cooker Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe, great for midweek dinners!
I assure you, the gently wafting fragrance of this Slow Cooker Chili Mac and Cheese is even more zesty and comforting than you might imagine.
This year, we are crushing winter dinner times with all our favorite crockpot meals.
It’s so rewarding to walk into the house after a long day of work (and driving little people around) then come face to face with a tantalizing aroma. A soothing reminder that dinner is taken care of, and waiting on you.
This particular Slow Cooker Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe is extremely popular in my house right now. It combines all the best flavors of classic beef chili and creamy mac and cheese, into one giant crock of a beefy, cheesy pasta soup, of sorts.
There are a couple surprise ingredients included that define the bold zesty flavor. I added ground chorizo for depth and spice, bell peppers for tangy sweetness, and sharp cheddar cheese. Adding the sharp cheddar makes it possible to add less cheese, while still providing a rich cheesy taste.
Less cheese equals less money, less fat, and less calories.
Have I convinced you to try it?
Start by browning the ground beef and chorizo and breaking it into little pieces with a wooden spoon. (If you add uncooked ground beef to a slow cooker, you’ll end up with brick of ground beef in the end.)
Then add in the onions, peppers and garlic to soften.
Pour the meat mixture into the slow cooker, followed by all sorts of yummy chili ingredients: diced tomatoes, green chiles, red beans, chili powder, and so on.
Let the slow cooker work its magic for a few hours… You can turn it up to high and slow cook for just a couple hours, or set it on low and leave it for the day.
When you come home, stir in dried macaroni noodles, and let it simmer another 30 minutes or so, to cook the pasta.
Then stir in shredded sharp cheddar cheese and some fresh chopped cilantro!
This is what you end up with, folks…
Rich chunky Slow Cooker Chili Mac and Cheese with intense flavor and visual appeal.
I swear, every time I think about this chili mac and cheese I want to dive right into the crock. It makes a fabulous dinner any night of the week and is great for casual get-togethers.
Think Bunko night or for Sunday football games!
My kids gobble it down and ask for seconds. I’m pretty sure yours will too!
Slow Cooker Chili Mac and Cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 8 ounces Mexican ground chorizo
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 30 ounces canned red kidney beans drained
- 14.5 ounces "fire roasted" diced tomatoes
- 4.5 ounces chopped green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 cup dried macaroni
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Set a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the ground beef and chorizo. Brown the meat and break it into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Then push the ground meat to the edges of the pan and add the chopped onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté another 3-5 minutes to soften.
- Pour the ground meat mixture into the crock of a large oval slow cooker. Add the chicken broth, 1 1/2 cups water, drained beans, diced tomatoes, green chiles, chili powder, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon cracked pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and slow cook for at least 2 hours on high. However, you could leave the mixture on low for up to 10 hours. When it's close to dinner time, add the dried macaroni noodles and stir. Then cover and slow cook on high for another 30-45 minutes. Once the pasta is soft, stir in the shredded cheese and cilantro. Serve warm, with additional cheese and cilantro if desired.