Healthy Mulligatawny Soup
Friends you can rely on are an essential part of living “the good life”. If they happen to be able to cook… Bonus!
Our close friends came to stay with us for over a month. They have gone home, but not without leaving their mark. During their visit, I was introduced to Healthy Mulligatawny Soup, and it has been one of our family’s favorite meals ever since.
What is Mulligatawny Soup?
Incredibly vibrant but not too heavy, Mulligatawny Soup has the bright flavors and many of the same ingredients of traditional Indian curry, but is enjoyed as a lighter, creamy soup that’s perfect for the spring and summer.
It is a British soup with roots in south India, and it literally means “Pepper Water” in Tamil.
My friend and now former houseguest, Bethany, made us a lovely rich version with cream, but after researching this soup a bit, I discovered there are many varieties. Some are brothy, and some thick. Colors also vary from recipe to recipe. But the key ingredients are veggies, rice, protein, and curry powder.
Although my husband loved the flavors and the idea of Bethany’s Mulligatawny Soup recipe, he was not at all a fan of the frothy consistency.
Let me explain: My husband Lt. Dan has a weird hangup about cream. It’s a texture thing. He doesn’t like how it coats his tongue.
And if it’s frothy? Dear Lord, we’ve got a real problem on our hands!
I once saw my completely precious, easy-going husband unleash his full wrath on an unsuspecting coffee barrister, who forgot he had requested NO FOAM!
Clearly, he was having a rough morning. Poor girl. (I think he still feels shameful over that.)
Generally, I indulge his quirky food preferences, even though he knows full-well not to unleash wrath on me.
It’s just the sweet thing for a wife to do.
Get the Complete (Printable) Healthy Mulligatawny Soup Recipe Below. Enjoy!
What Ingredients Are In Healthy Mulligatawny Soup
Out of love for my husband and his (let’s just call them endearing) quirks, I took my friend’s Mulligatawny Soup recipe and tweaked it a bit, substituting lite coconut milk for the traditional heavy cream. I also added a few extra ingredients to compensate for the thinner texture.
Here are the ingredients you need:
- Onion – chopped
- Celery – chopped
- Carrots – chopped
- Apples – peeled and chopped
- Freshly grated ginger
- All-purpose flour – or potato starch for a gluten-free version
- Madras curry powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Chicken stock
- Uncooked basmati rice – optional if you prefer lower-carb
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – chopped
- Light coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- Cilantro and sliced almonds – to garnish
Because it is lower in fat, and can be easily made gluten-free and low-carb, you’ll free good about serving this Healthy Mulligatawny Soup to your family.
How to Make Easy Mulligatawny Soup
The spices, coconut milk, green apples, and fresh ginger create a wealth of fragrance and flavor usually only found in a curry that has cooked down all day – BUT our recipe only takes about 30 minutes to make.
Healthy Mulligatawny Soup makes a wonderfully quick mid-week dinner and tastes just as good, if not better, on day two and three!
Here are the simple steps:
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and sauté the onions, celery, carrots, apple, and ginger for several minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Next, mix in the flour, curry powder, and cayenne pepper. After a few more minutes add in the chicken stock, chopped chicken, and salt.
- Increase the heat to bring to a boil, and then lower to a simmer for 15 minutes. The rice should become tender and the chicken cooked through.
- Lastly, stir in the light coconut milk. Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve with cilantro and sliced almonds.
My Healthy Mulligatawny Soup variation turned out beautifully, and I am sure your family will also love this recipe!
Keep leftovers sealed in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Because of the coconut milk, I do not recommend freezing this soup.
A husband without faults is a dangerous observer. ~ George Savile
Looking for More Easy and Healthy Soup Recipes?
- Light and Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Healthy Chicken White Bean Soup
- Tom Yum Soup (Hot and Sour Soup)
- Chicken Minestrone Soup
- Chicken Detox Soup
Healthy Mulligatawny Soup
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 3 tablespoon all-purpose flour (Potato Starch for gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup basmati rice (omit if on a Low Carb Diet)
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- ¾ cup light coconut milk
- salt and pepper
- possible Garnishes: Cilantro and sliced almonds
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, apples and ginger. Sauté for 5 minutes—stirring occasionally.
- Mix in the flour, curry powder, and cayenne pepper. Stir another 3-5 minutes, then add the chicken stock, rice, chopped chicken, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bring to a boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the chicken has cooked through.
- Add the coconut milk. Salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with toasted almonds or cilantro!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!