Ghirardelli Brownie Mix (Homemade Brownies)
Why You’ll Love These Brownie Recipes
You are here for one of two reasons…
A) You threw away your Ghirardelli Brownie Mix box before you had read all the instructions, so you are looking online for the exact ingredients, time, and temperature for baking a box of brownies. OR…
B) You are craving that quintessential boxed brownie taste and moist texture, yet don’t have a boxed brownie mix in your pantry.
Either way, I’ve got you covered! Today I’m sharing basic boxed Ghirardelli brownie mix instructions, followed by a copycat homemade Ghirardelli brownie mix recipe. That way, when you don’t have the box mix, you can still make this wonderful treat from pantry staples in minutes!
Classic Ghirardelli Brownies from the Box
I’ve done it before as well… You open up a brownie mix (or cake mix) to use for a baking project then you end up running out of time to get to it. So, instead of having a boxed brownie mix, you just have a plastic envelope of brown mix to put back in the pantry. Now you’re ready to use it and you need instructions. We’re here for you! Follow along for the Ghirardelli brownie mix recipe!
When you go to buy a boxed brownie mix from the Ghirardelli brand there are several different types of chocolate flavor premium mixes… Dark chocolate brownie mix, double chocolate brownie mix, triple chocolate, brownies with nuts, brownies with chocolate chips, brownies with chocolate syrup. However, all these boxed mixes have the same basic ingredients and instructions.
Ghirardelli Box Mix Ingredients
- Ghirardelli brownie mix – the best brownies mix IMO, any variety in the 18-ounce box
- Vegetable oil – or other neutral-flavored oil like canola, avocado, or sunflower oil
- Water – a bit to moisten the batter
- Egg – room temperature is best for baking
Instructions for How to Make Ghirardelli Brownies
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Set out an 8X8 inch baking pan and lightly grease the sides and bottom of the pan with nonstick cooking spray.
Set out a large mixing bowl. Combine the brownie mix, water, oil, and egg in the bowl.
Mix until smooth. If an extra packet of syrup is enclosed, mix that in at this time.
Spread the brownie batter out evenly in the prepared pan.
Bake until the center is set and the edges have started to pull away from the sides, 40-45 minutes if using a metal pan, or 45- 50 minutes in a glass or ceramic dish.
Cool slightly in the pan before cutting and serving or storing.
Get the Complete (Printable) Ghirardelli Brownie Mix Instructions + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Next Up… Boxed Brownies without Box Mix
In this other scenario, you’re craving simple classic fudgy box brownies specifically, the Ghirardelli brand, which are the best in my opinion. But you don’t have a brownie mix in your cabinet. You do, however, have cocoa powder, flour, and sugar. So let’s just make a simple from-scratch brownie mix to use instead!
Other situations for this recipe might include a semi-homemade baking project that requires a box of brownie mix as one of the ingredients… Think luscious French Silk Chocolate Brownies, Chocolate Malt Brownie Parfaits in a Jar, or adorable homemade Brownie Bites with Oreo Frosting.
Simple Ingredients for Homemade Brownies Mix
- Granulated sugar – or sugar alternative, like coconut sugar or stevia
- Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder – or other high-quality Dutch-processed cocoa
- All-purpose flour – AKA enriched bleached flour, or gluten-free baking mix
- Salt – a pinch to balance the sweetness
- Baking powder – for a slightly elevated brownie with a fudgy center
- Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips – or your choice of another brand, or milk or dark chocolate chips
- Vegetable oil – or sub with other neutral-tasting oil like canola, avocado, or sunflower oil
- Water – for moist and tender brownies
- Egg – room temperature
Pro Tip: You will notice the “wet ingredients” added to the homemade brownie mix are slightly different than the proportions added to the boxed mix. Since boxed brownies have added ingredients for stabilization, we needed to add more moisture to the homemade version to create the same ultra-rich chewiness.
How to Make Brownie Mix from Scratch
You can make the mix in a large bowl when ready to bake, or put together a batch in advance and store it for later.
This Ghirardelli Brownie Mix recipe also makes great gifts!
Set out a large mixing bowl or mason jar. Combine the granulated sugar, Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder.
Whisk well. Then stir in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Pro Tip: If making for gifts I suggest adding the ingredients one at a time so they look pretty in layers. Then make a label with the wet ingredients and baking time and temperature.
When ready to make the brownies:
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Set out an 8X8 inch baking dish and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray.
Stir in the vegetable oil, water, and egg. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it into an even layer. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
Cool slightly in the pan before cutting and serving or storing.
Tips for Gifting Brownie Mix in Jars
- Jars – Choose large wide-mouth jars that are easy to get contents in and out of. Clear containers are best to really show off those lovely layers!
- Batches – This Ghirardelli brownie mix recipe makes 1 batch of brownies in an 8×8 inch pan for 9 generous squares. Increase the quantities to make as many gifts as you like!
- Instructions – Include a small tag or note with instructions, including additional ingredients needed and recipe steps.
- Make it pretty! – Add a ribbon, bow, or other festive touch to make this gift look as great as the brownies taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
Feel free to add all kinds of goodies to your homemade brownies! If you like, swap chocolate chips (or go 1/2 and 1/2 with) with peanut butter, mint, dark chocolate, milk chocolate, or white chocolate chips. You can also include other add-ins such as chopped tree nuts – like walnuts, almonds, or pecans, pretzels, mini marshmallows, dried cherries, mini peanut butter cups, M&Ms, or other small candies.
One batch of brownie mix will make a single 8×8-inch pan of brownies. This is enough for 9 generous bars or 16 small pieces. You can also use a slightly smaller pan to make thicker brownies, but this will increase the bake time by 5-10 minutes.
Keep the blend of dry ingredients in an airtight container, like a glass jar, and store it in a cool and dry place.
Transfer the cooled delicious brownies to a sealed container with a lid, or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Keep them at room temperature for 3-4 days. For longer storage, you can keep them in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
Yes, they freeze very well! Wrap the cooled brownies in plastic wrap (individually is best) or place them in an airtight zipper bag with all of the air pushed out. Wrap in a layer of aluminum foil for extra protection. Store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
When these are fresh out of the oven, serve these mouth-watering brownies with a scoop of vanilla ice cream! The combination is pure brownie perfection!
Looking for More Easy Dessert Recipes? Be Sure to Also Try:
- Best Cherry Coconut Homemade Brownies
- Strawberry Brownies with Chocolate Brownie Frosting
- Brownie Cake with Mint Chip Frosting
- Velvet Brownie Swirl Cake
- Brownie Cookies with Toffee Bits
Ghirardelli Brownie Mix (Instructions + Homemade Brownie Mix Recipe) with VIDEO
From the Box Instructions –
For Ghirardelli Brownie Mix from the Box –
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Set out an 8X8 inch baking pan and lightly grease the sides and bottom of the pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Set out a large mixing bowl. Combine the brownie mix, water, oil, and egg in the bowl. Mix until smooth. If an extra packet of syrup is enclosed, mix that in at this time. Spread the brownie batter out evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake until the center is set and the edges have started to pull away from the sides, 40-45 minutes if using a metal pan, or 45- 50 minutes in a glass or ceramic dish.
For Homemade Boxed Brownie Mix –
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Set out an 8X8 inch baking dish and lightly spray with non-cooking spray.
- Set out a large mixing bowl. Combine the granulated sugar, Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa powder, flour, salt, and baking powder. Whisk well. Then stir in the semi-sweet, chocolate chips. Stir in the vegetable oil, water, and egg.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread into an even layer. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.