Flourless Chocolate Cake (Gluten Free Brownie Cake)
Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe – This rich and fudgy flourless chocolate cake tastes just like a decadent brownie, better than your favorite box mix, but is homemade in minutes with only a handful of gluten-free ingredients.
Going gluten free is not just a fad. As more people realize the health benefits of omitting gluten from their diets, or at least cutting back a bit, more and more restaurants and recipes are offering great GF-friendly options that are here to stay.
These dishes can range from super healthy to terrifically indulgent, with all sorts of hits for recreating those favorite yummy carb-y foods.
My daughter is one of the many that now follow a low carb diet with little to no gluten. It’s been a fun challenge to develop recipes that suit her dietary choices and make the entire family happy. Gluten free dinners, lunches, and savory snacks are relatively easy to come up with, as we all love lean proteins with lots of veggies.
But what about sweet desserts?! Cookies, cakes, pies, brownies… We are big fans of anything that includes fugdy chocolate goodness. But since my daughter doesn’t eat a ton of gluten, I’ve had to come up with some sweet tooth-pleasing alternative desserts that don’t feel or taste “alternative.”
Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Cake
This simple “brownie cake” a.k.a. Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Cake has become a family favorite. It takes just minutes to whip up and pop in the oven, so it’s perfect for a quick weeknight dessert. Yet it tastes so decadent, and feels so luxurious, you can certainly serve it at your next dinner party.
Made with semi-sweet chocolate and a bit of instant coffee, this brownie-like cake is dark and ultra fudgy. A generous sprinkling of chopped pistachios both in the batter and on top of the cake adds a delightfully crunchy texture. All of these terrifically rich flavors are complemented by a heaping dollop of fresh whipped cream.
I guarantee that our Flourless Brownie Cake is just as satisfying and delicious as any conventional flour-based dessert. Give it a try for your next family gathering, and I bet people won’t even know it’s gluten free!
What Ingredients You Need
I love that this Gluten Free Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe is considerably low carb and only requires simple ingredients that are pantry staples. There are no alternative gf-friendly flours or special items required!
Here is everything you need:
- Semi-sweet baking chocolate
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Instant coffee granules – or instant espresso (not coffee grounds)
- Vanilla extract
- Chopped pistachios – or other nut of your choice, optional
- Heavy cream – for homemade whipped cream
You can add nuts, or you can skip them. I personally like Gluten Free Brownie Cake with chopped pistachios. Other nuts you might enjoy include almonds, walnuts, or peanuts. For a completely nut-free dessert, you can leave out the nuts and dust the top of the finished cake with cocoa powder or chocolate shavings.
To also make this a completely dairy-free dessert, simply leave off the whipped cream or swap with your favorite plant-based “whipped cream” in a can. Then use a plant-based butter alternative in place of the butter.
How To Make the Best Flourless Brownie Cake
It’s easy to make perfectly dense, rich and fudgy chocolate cake in just minutes and with only one bowl!
Here’s your new favorite Flourless Chocolate Cake recipe:
First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F, and set out a 9 inch cake pan and a piece of parchment paper. Trace the bottom of the cake pan onto the parchment and cut out the circle. Line the pan with the circle of parchment, then thoroughly spray or grease the sides of the pan and the paper. These steps are incredibly important to make sure that your cake doesn’t stick to the pan and bakes perfectly every time.
Next, in a microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the chocolate and butter together. Microwave in 1 minute increments, for just a couple of minutes, stirring in between bursts until the mixture is completely smooth.
Then stir in the sugar, instant coffee, vanilla and salt. Once very smooth, whisk in the eggs. Finally, stir in the pistachios or other nuts, and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake the Flourless Chocolate Cake until the top is puffed.
Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for several minutes. Then, carefully flip the cake out of the pan, peel off the parchment paper, and set it on a cake server. Let the cake cool to room temperature while you make fresh whipped cream.
To make homemade whipped cream:
- First, wash out the mixing bowl you used for the brownie cake batter, or get a new clean bowl.
- Next, pour the heavy cream and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar into the bowl.
- Then, using a standing mixer or hand mixer, whip on high until peaks form.
Scoop the whipped cream on top of the cake, and sprinkle with extra pistachios or cocoa powder.
Get the Complete Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe (Fudgy Gluten Free Brownie Cake) Below. Enjoy!
You can make this Gluten Free Chocolate Brownie Cake ahead and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
When ready to serve, let the cake sit out at room temperature for 20 minutes to soften the texture.
Can I Make this Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe Paleo?
It is easy to make this a low carb paleo dessert. Use paleo-friendly chocolate chips and substitute the granulated sugar with your favorite alternative sweetener, like 1-to-1 baking stevia. And be sure to skip the whipped cream, too, if following a strict paleo diet!
Looking for More Delicious Gluten Free Dessert Recipes?
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Tart
- Gluten Free Vegan Fruit Pizza
- The Best Monster Cookies Recipe
- Freedom Cookies (Healthiest Sugar Cookies Ever!)
- Paleo Bars with Nuts and Chocolate Drizzle
Flourless Chocolate Cake (Gluten Free Brownie Cake Recipe)
- 8 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules or instant espresso
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup chopped pistachios optional
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Set out a 9 inch cake pan and a piece of parchment paper. Trace the bottom of the cake pan onto the parchment and cut out the circle. Line the pan with the parchment, then thoroughly spray (or grease) the sides of the pan and the paper.
- In a microwave-safe mixing bowl, melt the chocolate and butter together. Microwave in 1 minute increments, for 2-3 minutes, stirring in between, until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Then stir in ¾ cup sugar, instant coffee, vanilla, and salt. Once very smooth, whisk in the eggs. Finally stir in the pistachios, if using.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes, until the top is puffed. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then carefully flip the cake out of the pan, peel off the paper, and set it on a cake plate. Allow the cake to cool to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, set out a clean mixing bowl. Pour the heavy cream and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Whip on high until peaks form.
- Scoop the whipped cream on top of the cake. Sprinkle with extra pistachios or cocoa powder if desired.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Loved how easy this was to make and how fudgy it is! Perfect!
This is really AHH-mazing!! A delicious treat my family loved!
Wow! So delicious!!
This was so delicious!! I will definitely be making it again!
Literally one of the best gluten free cakes that I have had in ages!