Chicken Sausage Apple Squash Sheet Pan Dinner
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Chicken Sausage Apple Squash Sheet Pan Dinner – A quick and easy 6-ingredient one-pan dinner that is comforting, healthy, and packed with deliciously sweet and savory flavors. Your family will love this sheet pan dinner recipe!
An Inspired, Easy Sheet Pan Dinner Recipe
Who else absolutely adores easy, healthy, complete one pan dinner recipes? *both hands up*
Meals that require less time in the kitchen equal more time available to enjoy with the family, and I am all about that.
My kids love to read the “Little House” books together when we get the chance, and most of all, we love Farmer Boy because of the rascally antics of young Almanzo, and the way he really enjoys his meals.
Author Laura Ingalls Wilder goes to great lengths to describe the dishes the Wilder family prepared in the mid-1800s. She does this throughout all the books pertaining to her own life experiences as well.
Yet it’s the book written about her husband’s childhood that truly captures the value of every meal, from the perspective of a little foodie in the making.
Almanzo was an appreciator of fine foods. It’s fun to read his detailed descriptions and reactions to various dishes his family enjoyed throughout the year.
Above all the pies, candies, ice cream, and pork-laden dishes his mother cooked, Almanzo loved sautéed apples and onions best of all.
I can totally relate to this.
Today’s Chicken Sausage Apple Squash Sheet Pan Dinner is a rustic one-pan dish, combining butternut squash, lean chicken sausage, apples and onions, roasted together in the oven.
Sprinkled with a little allspice, salt and pepper, this simple dinner idea captures the essence of hearty meals from eras past.
What You Need to Make Our Sausage Apple Squash Sheet Pan Dinner
Pungent onions and crisp sweet apples are the perfect pair when softened together over time. Any other ingredient(s) added to this delectable duo is bound to be enhanced by their mingled flavors.
I prefer a savory, slightly sweet chicken sausage as the main protein for this recipe, but you can use any sausage you like!
Here are the basic 6 ingredients you need to make this easy meal:
- Olive oil – or preferred cooking oil for roasting
- Butternut squash – cut and sliced thin
- Crisp red apple – like Honey Crisp or Braeburn
- Sweet onion – Vidalia or any yellow onion is best
- Chicken sausage – Buy the smoked variety for quicker cooking
- Ground allspice
- Salt and pepper
How to Make This Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner
- Preheat the oven and prepare the butternut squash, onions, and apples. (See the full recipe card with video at the bottom of this recipe for tips!)
- Spread the prepared produce on a large baking sheet, toss with a drizzle of olive oil, and generously season with the ground allspice, salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven; meanwhile, cut the chicken sausage into slices.
- Flip the squash, apples, and onions, and add the sausage slices, making sure to keep all of the ingredients spread out in a single layer. Place the baking sheet back into the oven for another 10-15 minutes until the sausages are sizzling.
Honestly, I could eat this Chicken Sausage Apple Squash Sheet Pan Dinner every single week and never tire of it.
It’s such a comforting amalgamation, yet light and healthy with only 336 calories per serving!
Personally, I think Almanzo Wilder would approve of my Chicken Sausage Apple Squash Sheet Pan Dinner, and come back for second helpings. *wink*
Get the Complete (Printable) Chicken Sausage Apple Squash Sheet Pan Dinner Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Is This Chicken Sausage Squash Apple Sheet Pan Recipe Gluten Free?
You bet it is! Made only with fresh produce, olive oil, and seasonings, this healthy dinner is GF-friendly and paleo-friendly.
Will This Meal Keep Well in the Fridge?
Yes, this easy sheet pan dinner is great for meal prepping and making ahead. Store everything together in an airtight container for 3-4 days in the refrigerator or up to 1 month in the freezer.
Looking for More Satisfying and Easy Sheet Pan Dinners?
- Balsamic Steak Sheet Pan Dinner
- Low Carb Sheet Pan Chicken Cacciatore
- Sweet Potato Crusted Salmon Sheet Pan Dinner
- Sheet Pan Mongolian Beef
- Bruschetta Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Spanish Paella Sheet Pan Dinner
Chicken Sausage Apple Squash Sheet Pan Dinner
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Cut the butternut squash in half, lengthwise. Cut off the circular orb sections (the end with the seedpod) and save for future use.
- Peel the long sections of the butternut squash, then slice them into thin wedges. Core the apple and slice into wedges, unpeeled. Then peel and slice the onion into wedges.
- Pile the butternut squash, apples, and onions on a large rimmed 18x13-inch “half sheet” baking pan. Drizzle olive oil over the top and toss to coat. Then spread the squash, apples, and onions out into a single layer. Sprinkle with allspice, salt, and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cut the chicken sausages on the bias, into 1/2-inch slices.
- Flip the veggies, and spread them back out. Make room on the baking sheet to add the sausages. Place the sheet back in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the sausages are sizzling. Serve warm!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!