Cheesy Southern Tomato Slab Pie elevates summer tomatoes to new levels of goodness!
Southern Tomato Pie… Mmmmmmmmmmm.
Ever tried it? If not, you are really missing out.
Imagine fresh ripe summer tomatoes, flaky pie crust, fresh herbs, a little mayonnaise for tang, and a whole lot of melted Borden® Cheese! That is the epitome of a good tomato pie.
Over the years, I’ve made tomato pie many different ways. Some with mozzarella slabs in a pie pan, some with puff pastry crusts, some with grape tomatoes in a tart pie. Yet my personal favorite is a Southern Tomato Slab Pie.
A large rectangular pie with a higher crust-to-filling ratio than classic round pies.
Not only do you get more buttery crust in each bite, a Southern Tomato Slab Pie:
- Bakes faster than pies with more filling
- Cools faster for impatient pie eaters
- Feeds a crowd for summer parties and entertaining
- Can be served as a hand-held snack!
Right next to ripe summer tomatoes, the most important ingredient for a perfect Southern Tomato Slab Pie is the cheese!
I used two types of fresh Borden® Cheese Shreds in the filling. Sharp cheddar cheese is mixed with mayonnaise, scallions, and garlic to creating a silky molten layer. Then Borden® Four Cheese Mexican Shreds is sprinkled over the top to melt and seal in all the goodness.
Borden® Cheese melts so well, there’s no need to waste time shredding it myself. It makes this amazing summer recipe an absolute crowd-pleaser.
Plus, with Borden® Cheese you are guaranteed your cheese is made with the highest quality dairy, from over 8,000 family-owned farms in the United States.
Ready to give Southern Tomato Slab Pie a try?
Make a quick savory pie crust in the food processor. Roll the crust out into a large rectangle and flip it into a jelly roll pan.
Then spread the cheese, herbs, and mayo blend over the crust and top with fresh sliced tomatoes.
Sprinkle the top with fresh basil and more Borden® Cheese Shreds. Then bake until the crust is golden.
Get ready for ooey-gooey cheesy tomato ecstasy in about 30 minutes!
Southern Tomato Slab Pie is a fabulous recipe to make for Father’s Day and other summertime weekend events. Borden® Cheese brings families together around the table, transforming meals into memorable moments!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Borden® Cheese. All opinions are my own.
Southern Tomato Slab Pie
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into cubes (2 sticks)
- 6-8 tablespoons cold milk
Place the flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Then add the cold butter cubes and pulse into a fine pebble mixture. Add 6 tablespoons cold milk and pulse until the dough comes together into a smooth ball. If needed, add 1-2 more tablespoons milk. Press the dough into a flat rectangle and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and move an oven rack to the low position. In a bowl, mix the Borden® Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shreds, mayonnaise, garlic, and scallions. Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch rounds and lay the slices on paper towels to drain off excess juices.
Roll the chilled dough out on a piece of wax paper, into a 12 X 17 inch rectangle. Flip the dough over onto a 10 X 15 inch jelly roll pan. Remove the wax paper. Turn the edges of the dough under and crimp with a fork against the rim of the baking sheet.
- Spread the cheese-mayo mixture over the surface of the crust. Lay tomato slices over the mixture. Cut some tomato slice in half to fill in empty sections along the sides. Sprinkle the basil ribbons over the tomatoes. Then cover the surface of the pie with Borden® Four Cheese Mexican Shreds.
- Bake on the low rack for 30 minutes, until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut and serve warm.