Skillet Turkey Pot Pie
We are in love with this hearty Skillet Turkey Pot Pie, with a crisp buttery top!
Golden, flaky, crust on the outside. Creamy, savory, and packed with loads of roasted turkey, and veggies, on the inside.
Skillet Turkey Pot Pie is a new take on an old favorite, Chicken Pot Pie.
The major difference is this pot pie is made in one skillet on the stove top and finished in the oven with a top crust.
Not to mention your choice of bird.
There is no foul for switching up your fowl. That’s another great thing about Skillet Turkey Pot Pie; you can switch up your fillings.
If you hate peas you can use another veggie you like, or double up on green beans, and forget the peas.
Personally I really like the combination as is.
My favorite thing about Skillet Turkey Pot Pie, aside from it’s great taste, is that it can be made from fresh veggies and meat, made entirely from leftovers, or a combination of both.
I usually do the latter, leftover turkey and potatoes, frozen peas, carrots, and green beans, fresh garlic, mushrooms and onion, etc… Skillet Turkey Pot Pie is a must for your busy schedule.
The crust can be homemade or store-bought.
Skillet Turkey Pot Pie is a great dish to transform your leftovers into a delicious new meal!
I used a 10 inch x 2 ½ inch cast iron skillet with a removable wooden handle, yet any oven proof skillet will work.
You may need to adjust the amount of filling if your skillet size is a bit different. Just make sure it is nice and full so your pie shell doesn’t sink down into the skillet.
Whether you use fresh or precooked ingredients, combining them in one skillet with a creamy gravy blends everything together beautifully.
Skillet Turkey Pot Pie may become a favorite in your home as well!
Skillet Turkey Pot Pie
- 4 cups cooked turkey, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups cooked potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic (large), minced
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup trimmed green beans
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped tarragon
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2-3 cups leftover turkey gravy
- 1 roll-out refrigerated pie crust or homemade pie dough
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Set a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Sauté the onions or garlic in butter, until soft.
- Add the celery, carrots, fresh herbs, and seasoning. Cook until soft.
- Add in the gravy, and mix in all other vegetables, making sure everything is thoroughly coated in gravy.
- Stir in the turkey and let the mixture cool. When the skillet has cooled off, top it with the crust. Crimp and seal the edges. Then cut decorative slits in crust to let the steam escape. Lightly brush the crust with egg wash.
- Bake for approximately 40 minutes, longer if needed. Skillet Turkey Pot Pie is done when the crust is your desired color and the gravy is bubbling.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
I love pot pies! Especially when Game of Thrones was airing. But I definitely want to bake one for the family during this holiday season. I can’t wait to try out your recipe Sommer =)