Simple Egg Drop Soup Recipe
You can never have enough fabulous soup recipes.
Soup has a way of soothing the body and mind like no other food. Yet some soups do it better than others.
I’ve always felt a simple egg drop soup recipe is one of the most comforting soups around. It’s light, with a delicate fragrance and silky texture. Warming and smooth, yet not overpowering.
To me, this Simple Egg Drop Soup is the best version of an egg drop soup – and is even more calming than chicken noodle soup. You know that’s saying a lot.
I like my simple egg drop soup recipe to be really simple. Meaning no mushrooms, or tofu, or little corn kernels floating around. I find them strangely annoying.
In fact, the only garnish or add-in I deem acceptable are chopped green onions, and maybe a few crunchy Chinese noodles on top. I’ve got to draw the line somewhere.
What is your stance on veggies in your egg drop soup?
Get the Complete (Printable!) Simple Egg Drop Soup Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
What You Need for Homemade Egg Drop Soup
Have I mentioned that I like my egg drop soup recipe nice and simple?
You probably have many if not all of these basic ingredients in your pantry and fridge right now.
Here’s all you need:
- Chicken Broth – homemade or store bought
- Cornstarch – or use arrow root powder to make paleo-friendly
- Soy Sauce – or use coconut aminos for paleo version
- Sesame Oil – if not available substitute with another light-flavor oil such as sunflower, avocado, peanut, or canola oil
- Grated Ginger
- Garlic Powder
- Ground Turmeric
- Large Eggs
How to Make Simple Egg Drop Soup
- Bring a pot of chicken broth to a boil over medium high heat, and stir in cornstarch, ginger, garlic powder, sesame oil, and soy sauce. Add a little bit of turmeric for flavor and to achieve that beautiful light yellow color.
- Whisk the eggs together in a small bowl. Once the mixture is gently boiling and slightly thickened, stir the soup into a quick swirl, then slowly pour in beaten eggs. The swirling hot broth will create fine egg ribbons throughout the soup.
- Try the soup and season with salt and pepper to taste.
That’s seriously all it takes to prepare this most comforting of soups! In about 15 minutes you can make a steaming pot that tastes even better than your favorite Chinese restaurant’s version.
Serve this homemade egg drop soup with diced green onions and perfectly crunchy Chinese noodles, or whatever your toppings of preference.
Is This Easy Egg Drop Soup Recipe Paleo and Gluten Free?
It can be made paleo-friendly with just a couple of simple switches! Use arrow root powder in place of the cornstarch, and swap the soy sauce with coconut aminos.
Substituting coconut aminos for soy sauce will also make this egg drop soup gluten free.
Can Egg Drop Soup Be Made Vegetarian?
Absolutely! Just substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
How Long Will This Soup Keep Well?
You can store egg drop soup leftovers for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the fridge, and is delicious reheated for a quick lunch or light dinner.
I do not recommend freezing this soup.
Looking for More Satisfying Soup Recipes?
- Tom Yum Soup (Hot and Sour Soup)
- Light and Creamy Asparagus Soup
- 5 Ingredient Miso Soup
- The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Japanese Clear Soup Recipe
- Vegetarian Navy Bean Soup
Simple Egg Drop Soup Recipe + VIDEO
- Add the chicken broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, sesame oil, grated ginger, garlic powder, and turmeric in a large sauce pot. Whisk well. Then turn the heat on high and bring to a boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs well. Then stir the soup base to get it swirling and slowly pour the eggs into the soup. The eggs swirling into the soup will create ribbons of egg. Turn off the heat.
- Taste the soup and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve as-is, or garnish with chopped green onions, and crunchy Chinese noodles.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!