5 Ingredient Miso Soup
Today I’m sharing an easy and delightful 5 Ingredient Miso Soup Recipe, that can be made in just 5 minutes! Start out the new year with something light and savory.
Miso soup is something I crave on a regular basis. It’s a guilt-free bowl of comfort with a distinct soy flavor.
I used to think the only way to “make” a bowl of miso soup was to open a packet of dry miso soup and stir it into water.
Then I learned better…
Actually, cooking a homemade miso soup recipe is not much more complicated than using the dry packets. Yet the taste is something to experience! Rich and savory.
With only 5 simply ingredients, and 5 minutes time (provided you have a high heat burner) you can make a fresh robust miso soup recipe that’s good enough to serve to dinner guests.
Here’s what you need…
- Dashi Broth (or Mushroom Broth for a vegan recipe)
- White Miso Paste
- Cubes of Firm Tofu
- Nori Sheets
Dashi is a common asian soup broth made with mushrooms, dried fish, and seaweed. However, it can be tricky to find is certain parts of the country (or world). If you can’t find it, or prefer to make a vegan version, use mushroom broth instead. It resembles the flavor of dashi, without the dried fish.
White Miso Paste can be found in the refrigerated section of the produce department. It has a strong soy flavor with a slight floral essence. It’s fabulous for making sauces, glazes, and of course a killer miso soup recipe.
Tofu can also be found in the refrigerated section of the produce department. Buy a “firm” or “extra firm” variety so it holds together when cut.
Nori Sheets are thin pieces of dried seaweed, often used for rolling sushi. They can be found in the international section of most major grocery chains. If you are using mushroom broth instead of dashi, don’t skip the nori sheets. They really lift the flavor!
Scallions or green onions round out a warm bowl of miso soup. You can stir them into the pot at the end, or use them as a garnish.
Gorgeous Peony Bowls from Q Squared.
All you have to do is bring the broth to a boil, turn off the heat, and stir in the 4 remaining ingredients.
That means, you can have this amazing and healthy miso soup recipe any time you want.
Even at midnight.
5 Ingredient Miso Soup Recipe
- 1 quart dashi broth or mushroom broth for vegan recipe
- 1/2 cup white miso paste
- 3/4 cup firm tofu diced
- 2 nori sheets dried seaweed sheets
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions scallions
- Place the dashi or mushroom broth in a large stockpot. Add 1 quart of water, cover, and bring to a boil.
- While the broth is coming to a boil, dry the tofu with paper towels and dice. Then cut the nori sheets into small 1/4-inch pieces with kitchen shears. Chop the green onions.
- Once the broth reaches a boil, turn off the heat and whisk in the miso paste. Once dissolved, add the tofu, nori, and green onions. Stir and serve.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!