These easy Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones are a winner with children and adults, alike. You can make your own dipped cones this July 4th!
I can’t drive by a Dairy Queen or Tasty Freeze without having a deep guttural urge for chocolate dipped cones. Nor can I walk through the freezer aisle at the grocery store without stopping to eyeball the ice cream drumsticks.
With nostalgic appeal, and a crunchy chocolate shell, ice cream dipped cones are hard to beat!
Luckily, homemade Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones are just as fun to make as the are to eat.
This easy ice cream cone recipe, with a chocolate coating that hardens quickly, is just the thing to make your Independence Day celebration memorable.
How To Make Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones
To make your own chocolate dipped Ice cones, simply cut holes in the top of an old egg carton to make an ice cream cone stand. Then scoop your favorite ice cream flavors onto the cones, press down firmly. Then freeze so the ice cream and cone stick together.
(If making ice cream drumsticks with kids, I do this ahead.)
Once the ice cream is frozen solid on the top of each cone, prepare the chocolate coating.
Next set out all sorts of toppings: sprinkles, toasted coconut, chopped nuts, cereal, dried fruit, small candies, etc.
Then dip the cones into the chocolate coating, and sprinkle away!
If you want to finish the Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones ahead of time, place them in the cone stand and put back in the freezer. You can even wrap them neatly in parchment paper to make the ice cream drumsticks easy to pass around.
I’m in LOVE with Martha Wrap. It’s foil on one side and parchment paper on the other side–great for wrapping ice cream drumsticks.
Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones make the perfect treat on a sweltering mid-summer evening.
More Frozen Favorites:
Berry Yogurt Pops ~ Skinny Taste
Raspberry Coconut Pops ~ Family Kitchen
Berry Bliss Rocket Pops ~ Family Fresh Cookin
Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones
Yield: 20 cones
Prep Time:30 minutes active time
Cook Time:2 minutes
Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cones are a winner with children and adults, alike. You can make your own kid-friendly ice cream cone recipe this summer with this quick recipe!
- 1 1/2 pounds semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 pinches salt
- 3 half-gallon containers of ice cream, various flavors
- 20 waffle cones
- Various Toppings: sprinkles, chopped nuts, cereal, toffee bits, small candy, shredded coconut, dried fruits
- 3 empty egg cartons for stands
- Punch holes in the top of 3 egg cartons to make ice cream cone stands.
- Scoop the ice cream and press firmly on top of each cone. Place in the stand and move to the freezer to harden, for at least 1 hour.
- Place the chocolate, coconut oil, and salt in a large bowl. Microwave for 60 seconds and stir. Return to the microwave for another 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until chocolate in smooth. Allow the chocolate coating to cool for 10 minutes.
- Set out the toppings. Then dip the ice cream cones in the chocolate coating and swirl around. Allow the excess chocolate drip off, then QUICKLY sprinkle the tops before they harden. Return to the freezer until ready to serve.
NOTE: If making ahead, wrap well with foil or parchment paper.
Yield: 20 cones, Serving Size: 1 dipped cone
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 450 Calories
- Total Fat: 27g
- Saturated Fat: 18.1g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
- Sodium: 101mg
- Carbohydrates: 55g
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 42.2g
- Protein: 5.3g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!