Kulfi Indian Ice Cream
Kulfi Indian Ice Cream – An easy no-churn authentic kulfi ice cream recipe made with pistachios, cardamom, and a hint of saffron. Perfect to serve by the scoopful or enjoy as pistachio ice cream pops!
Kulfi Indian Ice Cream
When I was younger I spent several summers in India, where I learned a plethora of delicious recipes made with vibrant seasonings and spices. I have very fond memories of walking the sweltering streets of India and ducking into cafes and shops to cool down for a moment.
A popular treat served in India to beat the heat – and one of my personal favorites – is Kulfi Ice Cream. It’s a decadent dessert made with saffron and crushed pistachios (kesar pista) folded into rich, creamy ice cream. So every wonderfully cold bite is flavorful and refreshing, with a bit of crunchy texture.
We developed our homemade NO-CHURN Indian pistachio ice cream recipe to be authentic and easy to make, no ice cream machine needed. Prep is just 10 minutes, and doesn’t include heating any ingredients on the stove. Simply whip, fold, and freeze.
Prepare this dessert in a large batch and serve in scoops, or make handy ice cream pops. Or both! Garnish with your favorite toppings and enjoy these bold, sweet, and nutty flavors all season long.
Ingredients You Need
This fantastic and vibrant ice cream is made with 6 ingredients. While some of them might be considered specialty items, they all should be easy to find in most grocery stores.
To make authentic kesar pista Kulfi Indian Ice Cream you need:
- Heavy cream – absolutely a must-have for ultra-creamy ice cream
- Sweetened condensed milk – adds sweetness without needing to heat sugar on the stovetop
- Ground cardamom – for a deep, earthy flavor that balances the sweet flavors
- Vanilla extract – for a deep earthy taste that goes great with the nuts and seasonings
- Pistachios – crunchy, nutty, with a distinct almost-like flavor
- Saffron – adds a light floral taste that pairs perfectly with the sweeter and earthy ingredients
How to Make the Best Saffron and Pistachio Ice Cream
You first need to soften the saffron to bring out the robust flavor and make it easier to combine with the other ingredients.
Place 1 tablespoon of hot tap water in a small bowl. Add a pinch of saffron and let it soak to extract the color and flavor.
Meanwhile, set out an electric mixer with a whip attachment. Add the heavy cream, ground cardamom, and vanilla extract. Whip at high speed until firm peaks form. Take care to not over-whip, so the cream is smooth, not clumpy!
The mixture should be soft and fluffy. Scrape the bowl down with a rubber spatula, then whip in the saffron and water.
Next, use the spatula to fold in the sweetened condensed milk. Again, do not over mix! You want to keep as much air in the ice cream as possible.
Get the Complete (Printable) Malai Kulfi Ice Cream Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Once it looks smooth and even, fold in the chopped pistachios.
Pro Tip: If making popsicles, chop extra pistachios to garnish the bottom of each pop.
For scoopable ice cream, place the Kulfi in an airtight container and freeze for at least 3 hours.
How to Make Kulfi Ice Cream Pops
Easily prepare cute and convenient handheld treats by making pistachio ice cream pops.
Before freezing, scoop the mixture into 16 small cups and insert a popsicle stick into the center of each cup.
Garnish the bottom of each pop with chopped pistachios while the ice cream is still soft.
Freeze for at least 3 hours. To serve, gently turn the ice cream pops out of the cups or use kitchen shears to carefully snip and pull off the paper.
Garnish with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
Top bowls of kesar pista ice cream with more chopped pistachios and a generous dollop of homemade whipped cream. Add extra sweetness by topping Kulfi with toasted coconut, caramel sauce, and/or white chocolate chips.
Swap the pistachios with cashews or almonds for an equally tasty crunch.
Absolutely! Leave out the pistachios if you have an allergy or just aren’t a fan.
I have not tried to prepare vegan Kulfi, but I’m sure it could be done. It won’t have the same ultra-rich and creamy texture, but you can try our dairy-free Coconut Milk Ice Cream as a base. Then just add other ingredients per this recipe.
Keep in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 4 weeks.
Looking for More Delicious Frozen Treat Recipes?
- Mango Lassi Homemade Popsicles
- No-Churn Mocha Mint Chip Vegan Ice Cream
- Pineapple Orange Creamsicle
- Blackberry Ice Cream with Anise
- Vietnamese Coffee Popsicles
Kulfi Indian Ice Cream Recipe + VIDEO
- Place 1 tablespoon hot tap water in a small bowl. Add a pinch of saffron and let it soak to extract the color and flavor.
- Meanwhile, set out an electric mixer with a whip attachment. Add the heavy cream, ground cardamom, and vanilla extract. Whip at high speed until firm peaks form.
- Scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula. Then whip in the saffron and water.
- Use the spatula to fold in the sweetened condensed milk. Once it looks smooth and even, fold in the chopped pistachios.
- Either place the kulfi in an airtight container and freeze, or scoop into small cups for popsicles and inside a popsicle stick in the middle of each one.
- Freeze for at least 3 hours.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!