Homemade Healthy Trail Mix Recipe
Make your own tasty trail mix from scratch with your favorite goodies! Here you’ll find two delicious recipes: one for a healthy homemade trail mix featuring seeds and nuts, while the other is loaded with sweet treats for a slightly “naughty” snack!
The Best Homemade Trail Mix Recipe
Homemade Trail Mix is one of those terrific no-cook treats that is perfect for just about any activity, from hiking to sitting on the couch and watching TV. Because let’s be real: you don’t actually have to be hitting the trails to enjoy a handful (or three) of a sweet, savory, and crunchy snack mix.
Today we are sharing two of our favorite trail mix recipe blends… One that is very healthy and balanced, using mostly raw nuts and seeds. And another “naughtier” trail mix for parties and picky eaters.
Which one is better? Well, that’s hard to say. Both are considered our best recipes that we repeat regularly. I suggest that you make a batch of each and see which your family prefers!
Ingredients You Need
Below are the ingredients we like to include in our snack mixes, but feel free to omit ingredients or add other goodies you like!
Ingredients to Make our Healthy Trail Mix Recipe
This healthier blend includes a great combo of nuts, seeds, and a couple of sweet goodies. Together they have a wonderful crunchy, slightly chewy texture plus a delicious salty and sweet flavor. You’ll need:
- Raw almonds
- Roasted and salted shelled pistachios
- Raw pepitas
- Banana chips
- Unsweetened coconut flakes
- Dark chocolate chips
Ingredients for a Naughtier Homemade Trail Mix
For this blend we’ve included more traditional trail mix ingredients to make an even sweeter mix. You’ll need:
- Peanut butter pretzel bites
- Roasted cashews
- Roasted peanuts
- Dried cherries
- M&M chocolate candies
How to Make Trail Mix
This 5 minute recipe can be made with either the healthy trail mix or naughtier ingredients. Follow these 3 easy steps to prepare your preferred version. Or hey, go ahead and make both!
- Set out a medium sized bowl.
- Measure and pour in the ingredients. Mix well.
- Transfer the trail mix to an airtight container.
Store the container at room temperature in a cool, dry place for up to 2 months. Or keep it in the fridge if it’s a bit warm in the house.
This homemade snack mix can even be frozen for up to 6 months! Put in a freezer-safe zip bag, and squeeze out as much air as possible before freezing.
Get the Complete (Printable) Healthy Homemade Trail Mix Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Suggestions for Other Add-Ins
Want more goodness in your homemade snack mix? We’ve got some great ideas for extra ingredients!
A few suggestions for swaps and add-ins for the healthy trail mix recipe are:
- Substitute raisins with dried cranberries – or add both!
- Swap banana chips with apple chips – or add both!
- Add raw or roasted cashews
- Skip the dark chocolate chips, swap with semi-sweet chocolate chips, or add cocoa nibs
To the naughtier blend you might consider adding:
- Peanut butter M&Ms instead of plain candies – or any version of M&Ms you like
- Plain mini pretzels in place of the peanut butter pretzels
- Peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips and/or white chocolate chips
- Chocolate covered raisins, almonds, or other chocolate-coated treats you love
Fun Ideas for Ways to Enjoy Homemade Trail Mix
These mixes are great to enjoy as a snack whenever you’ve got a craving for something a bit salty and sweet. They’re also fun to set out in bowls for guests to enjoy at casual parties, or bring to picnics and potlucks to share.
Make tasty edible gifts (personally, my favorite kind of gift) for birthdays, holidays, and individual party favors. Double or triple this recipe, and portion out generous scoops into small Mason jars or other cute storage containers. Add a ribbon around the container and ta-da, you’ve got a present that everyone will love!
You can even use trail mix to top smoothie bowls or scoops of ice cream.
Looking for More Tasty and Easy Snack Recipes?
- Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- Chai Puppy Chow Recipe
- Best Homemade Oven Beef Jerky
- Paleo Bars with Nuts and Chocolate Drizzle
- Easy Homemade Kettle Corn
Homemade Healthy Trail Mix
Healthy Option –
- For either homemade trail mix option, set out a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Measure and pour in the trail mix ingredients. Mix well.
- Pour the trail mix into an airtight container and store at room temperature or freeze.