Healthy Baked Banana Chips
Healthy Baked Banana Chips Recipe – These simple 2-ingredient chips make marvelous snacks packed with fiber, potassium, calcium, magnesium, and iron!
Nutritious Snack Time
Looking for more nutritious options to make for your family or friends? Today we add Healthy Baked Banana Chips to our repertoire of healthy baked snack recipes.
We all know “fresh is best” and we should eat more fruits and veggies. Bananas are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and nutrients.
Yet it is not always doable to carry fresh fruits and veggies with us throughout our busy days. It is rather unpleasant to discover that your lovely fresh banana has turned into a black mushy mess inside your bag.
There are times when you just want something different. Healthy Baked Banana Chips are a great solution!
You can find banana chips in nearly every grocery, health food, and even convenience store. Yet most of those pre-packaged imposters are fried in oil and coated with ingredients you want to avoid.
The mass-produced banana chips may not be quite as virtuous as you would like to think. So why not make your own?
Our Healthy Baked Banana Chips are so basic and so simple to make. I have made them in a food dehydrator for years, but you don’t have to go out and purchase a new piece of kitchen hardware to make them in your own home.
Your oven will do quite nicely.
No frying is required, and no preservatives are necessary. A few bananas and a couple of lemons are all it takes.
Simple Baked Banana Chips
Now, you can make as many Healthy Baked Banana Chips as you like. However, most ovens will only hold two to three baking sheets at once, and it does take a bit of time to dry them out.
Think of the tortoise and the hare analogy… Slow and steady wins the race. Low and slow is the way to go when baking bananas as well.
The goal here is not to cook the banana slices to death. Instead, we want to cause evaporation, thus preserving the bananas from decomposition.
The thinner the slices are, the more quickly they will dry.
Making Healthy Baked Banana Chips is a perfect multi-tasking opportunity.
Once the bananas are sliced, dipped in lemon juice, and placed on a parchment-covered baking sheet, you have about three hours to relax and enjoy a favorite activity.
Or check a few items off your “To Do” list. Just make sure to stick around the house so you can flip the banana slices over halfway through cooking.
Healthy Baked Banana Chips are an ideal portable snack. Add them to granola, baked goods, salads, and yogurt for a little edible excitement!
What Ingredients You Will Need
- Firm Bananas
- Optional Toppings: sea salt, cinnamon, cayenne pepper
That is all you need!
How To Make Banana Chips
- Slice. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Peel and slice the bananas into 1/16th to 1/8th inch slices. A mandolin slicer makes the job much easier.
- Prepare. Dip or brush the banana slices with lemon juice placing them close together on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake. Bake in the oven for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. They should be able to be peeled off parchment easily, flip banana chips over and continue baking approximately 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer until desired dryness is achieved.
Tips and Tricks
- Check the banana slices occasionally to make sure they are not over cooking.
- They will crisp up as they cool and become firm and leathery, yet remain flexible.
- Allow them to cool completely before storing in an airtight container in a cool dark place. For long-term storage, refrigerate or freeze.
Frequently Asked Questions
When Do You Add The Optional Toppings?
The optional seasonings should go on the banana before you start baking them in the oven.
How Long Do These Last?
Oven dried bananas can stay in your pantry or fridge inside an airtight container or ziplock for up to 2 weeks.
How Do You Serve These Bananas?
You can use these bananas in your favorite fruit dip, yogurt dip, chocolate dip, peanut butter or sprinkle on ice cream. You can even add this as a healthier option to our healthy homemade trail mix recipe.
Looking For More Baked Snack Recipes?
- Baked Beet Chips Recipe
- Cinnamon Apple Chips Recipe
- Healthy Zucchini Chips Recipe
- Baked Sweet Potato Chips Recipe
- Homemade Larabar Snack Bar Recipe
- West Virginia Pepperoni Rolls Recipe
- Easiest Brazilian Cheese Bread (Pao de Queijo)
- Chai Puppy Chow Recipe
- Spicy Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
Healthy Baked Banana Chips
- 4 firm bananas
- 2 lemons, juiced
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Peel and slice the bananas into 1/16th to 1/8th inch slices. A mandolin slicer makes the job much easier.
- Dip or brush the banana slices with lemon juice placing them close together on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 1-1 1/2 hours. They should be able to be peeled off parchment easily, flip banana chips over and continue baking approximately 1-1 1/2 hours longer until desired dryness is achieved.
- Check banana chips occasionally to make sure the are not over cooking. They will crisp up as they cool and become firm and leathery, yet remain flexible. Allow them to cool completely before storing in an airtight container in a cool dark place. For long-term storage, refrigerate or freeze.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!