Chai Puppy Chow Recipe
Chai Puppy Chow Recipe – A completely irresistible snack variation with Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread and exotic chai latte flavor! Plus, it requires only 4 ingredients and just 5 minutes to make.
What is Puppy Chow?
Chances are, if you were raised in the south you have eaten a “Puppy Chow” recipe. (Sometimes also know as Muddy Buddies.)
And if you weren’t raised in the south, and aren’t familiar with this whimsical party snack and edible gift, you need to be.
A Puppy Chow Recipe, as its lovingly called down here in the south-land, is a simple cereal and chocolate based treat. The classic recipe relies on melted chocolate chips and peanut butter to coat Chex cereal, then the pieces are heavily dusted in powdered sugar to give the appearance of… Well, dog food.
As I can see how this might be a turn off, let’s focus on the ingredients at hand: chocolate, peanut butter, cereal and sugar.
How could that possibly be bad?
How My “Chai Chow” Puppy Chow Came To Be
On a recent trip to Kohler, Wisconsin I stopped at The American Club coffee shop one morning and noticed something intriguing sitting in little paper bags among the bagels and danishes on the counter. Chai Chow, the bags read.
Could it be the nostalgic comfort of a classic southern puppy chow recipe, mixed with Nutella and exotic chai spices? Now this was something I had to try!
Yep, fabulous. Empty-bag-in-three-minutes kind of fabulous.
And the bag read only 4 ingredients:
- Cereal (rice or corn based)
- Chai Latte Powder
- Powdered Sugar
Well this girl knew immediately, Chai Chow would be a treat made at home again and again.
How to Make Chai Puppy Chow
Using the same 4 simple ingredients from that delicious bag I found in Wisconsin, my homemade Chai Chow recipe calls for your favorite rice or corn cereal, Nutella chocolate hazelnut spread, powdered sugar, and instant chai latte powder. That’s seriously it!
And guess what… it’s even easier to make than a classic puppy chow recipe. Here’s how to do it:
- First, warm the Nutella in a small microwave-safe bowl in the microwave to soften the hazelnut spread. You’ll want to do short bursts of heat in the microwave, stirring the Nutella between sessions.
- Pour the cereal into a large bowl, and gently stir the softened Nutella into the cereal to coat.
- Then, in a large paper bag add the instant chai latte powder (found in the tea/cocoa section of the grocery store) and powdered sugar. Pour the cereal and Nutella mixture into the paper bag, close, and shake vigorously until the cereal is thoroughly coated with the latte powder and sugar.
Viola! You have Chai and Nutella Puppy Chow!
The rich chocolate nuttiness of the Nutella mixed with all the wondrous spices and black tea flavor in the chai powder, makes a brilliant and addictive coating on the crunchy cereal.
In fact, I advise you not to make this Chai and Nutella Puppy Chow, unless you have plans to bag it up for edible gifts or take it immediately to a party.
You will certainly not be able to stop eating it otherwise!
See the Recipe Card Below for the Complete Chai Puppy Chow Recipe. Enjoy!
Did you notice the super-slick mixing bowl set I used to make this batch of Chai Chow?
They are Porcelain Enamel Hand-Made Mixing Bowls from my favorite lighting company, Barn Light Electric Company.
You read that right…
The same company I used for Porcelain Enamel LED lights in my kitchen makeover last spring, also makes sturdy and gorgeous porcelain enamel home goods, like mixing bowls.
Chai Puppy Chow Q&A
How Far in Advance Can You Make Chai and Nutella Puppy Chow?
Puppy Chow keeps well for 1-2 weeks when stored in an airtight container and kept at room temperature or in the fridge. But I’ve never known a batch to last that long around my house.
I don’t recommend freezing Chai Chow, however, as they have the potential to get soggy during the defrosting process, and you definitely want that nice crunch!
Can This Chai Chow Recipe Be Made Vegan?
Yes! Name brand Nutella itself is not vegan, but there are many non-dairy chocolate hazelnut spread options on shelves. Check your local store!
And be sure that the rice or corn cereal you choose does not have honey listed in the ingredients, to ensure your cereal is vegan-friendly as well.
Is Chai Puppy Chow Gluten Free?
This Chai Puppy Chow can be made gluten free if you choose to make with gluten free cereal and powdered sugar. Just check the ingredients labels on all packages to ensure no wheat-based fillers are used.
Looking for More Easy Snack Recipes?
- Toffee Pecan Popcorn Balls + Chocolate Drizzle
- Homemade Trail Mix Valentine Snack
- Chocolate Malt Popcorn
- Pumpkin Pie Dip + Cinnamon Chips
- Best Homemade Oven Beef Jerky
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Pops
- 3-Ingredient Mini Stuffed Peppers
Chai Puppy Chow
- Mix the powdered sugar and chai latte powder together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Warm the Nutella in the microwave for 1 minute, so it’s easy to pour. Then place the cereal in a large mixing bowl and pour the Nutella on top. Gently mix with a spoon until the cereal is thoroughly coated.
- Pour the powdered sugar mixture in a large paper grocery bag. Dump the cereal on top of the powdered sugar mixture.
- Fold the top of the bag down a few times and shake vigorously to coat, 1-2 minutes. Spread the coated cereal out on wax paper to dry.