Jamaican Curry Chicken
Jamaican Curry Chicken – A classic Caribbean yellow curry recipe made with chicken, potatoes, carrots, and lots of vibrant seasonings. This spicy, saucy dish is perfect to serve with rice and your favorite sides!
We love Jamaican food! After spending several vacations in the Caribbean, we’ve come to crave the bright, bold flavors of Jamaican cuisine as soon as summer arrives. These Caribbean Shrimp Burgers and this Healthy Caribbean Chicken Curry Sheet Pan Dinner are just a couple of examples of some of our favorite island-inspired recipes!
We recently shared an authentic recipe for Jamaican Brown Chicken Stew, made with a thick and rich gravy plus lots of vegetables. While they are equally delicious in their own unique ways, this Jamaican Curry Chicken is pretty different from the stew – it’s a spicier, saucier dish that’s perfect to serve with rice and your favorite Caribbean side dishes.
Classic Jamaican Chicken Curry
Spicy yellow chicken curry is loaded with tender potatoes and carrots in a thin, creamy sauce. You can enjoy it in a bowl by itself like a stew, or serve it right on top of white rice or classic Jamaican Peas and Rice.
This recipe is ready in just an hour and a half. It’s therefore a bit quicker dish than the brown stew, but is just as delicious and satisfying.
And leftovers are fantastic! Make authentic Jamaican Curry Chicken as a relaxing weekend dinner that you can enjoy for several days. The whole family will love it when you bring some Caribbean flavor to the table!
Ingredients You Need for this Caribbean Chicken Recipe
This comforting recipe really lets the vibrant seasonings shine. Many of the ingredients are pantry staples or can be easily found in your local grocery store. For this classic yellow chicken curry recipe you need:
- Lime – juiced
- Bone-in chicken pieces – we use thighs and drumsticks
- Onion – peeled and chopped
- Garlic – minced
- Seasonings – yellow curry powder, adobo seasoning (store-bought or try our easy homemade adobo seasoning recipe!), freshly grated ginger, thyme, allspice
- Habanero pepper (also known as Scotch bonnet peppers) – seeded and minced
- Vegetable oil – or preferred high heat cooking oil
- Potatoes – peeled and chopped
- Carrots – chopped
- Bell pepper – chopped
- Chicken broth – or water + bouillon
How to Make Jamaican Curry from Scratch
Here we share the 4 simple steps to prepare this curry recipe in under 90 minutes.
Step #1 – Prep the Chicken
First, set out a large mixing bowl. Remove the chicken skins but leave the meat and bones intact. Place the chicken in the bowl and squeeze the lime juice over the top of the chicken. Toss to coat.
Step #2 – Marinate the Chicken
To the chicken, add the chopped onion, garlic, curry powder, adobo seasoning, ginger, thyme, allspice, and habanero. Toss well to coat. Then allow the chicken to rest and marinate for at least 30 minutes. You can even do this ahead! Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Step #3 – Brown the Caribbean Chicken
Next, set a large 6-8 quart saucepot over medium heat. Add the oil, and once hot, add half of the chicken pieces. Brown the chicken on both sides, for 2-3 minutes each side. Remove the chicken pieces, and repeat the browning process with the second batch of chicken pieces. Then add the first batch of chicken back to the pot. Pour in all the onions and seasonings from the marinating bowl. Use tongs to stir the onions and garlic. Brown for 2-3 minutes.
Step #4 – Simmer the Jamaican Curry Chicken
Pour in the chopped potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and chicken broth. Stir well to combine.
Get the Complete (Printable) Jamaican Curry Chicken Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Cover the pot and simmer for 25 minutes on medium-low. You can reduce the heat if needed.
After 25 minutes, uncover and simmer the yellow curry for another 5 minutes or so to thicken the broth. Once the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender, taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
Enjoy warm as-is or with your favorite sides. We also like to add sliced scallions for an extra pop of fresh flavor.
What to Serve with Yellow Chicken Curry
Savory and spicy Jamaican Curry Chicken is best to serve with peas and rice or plain white rice. Add a side of Baked Plantains and you’ve got an authentic Caribbean meal that’s delicious to enjoy wherever you live.
And don’t forget the Caribbean Spiced Rum Cake for dessert!
How to Store Leftovers
This Jamaican Curry Chicken recipe is great to make ahead! Let the curry cool, then transfer to an airtight container. Keep in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Yellow chicken curry can even be frozen for up to 2 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight, and reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Looking for More Delicious Curry and Stew Recipes?
- Easy Madras Chicken Curry
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken Curry
- Carne Guisada Recipe (Con Papas)
- Instant Pot Green Chicken Curry
- Brazilian Feijoada (Pork and Black Bean Stew)
Jamaican Curry Chicken Recipe + VIDEO
- 1 lime juiced
- 5 pounds bone-in chicken pieces I used drumsticks and thighs
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup curry powder
- 3 tablespoons adobo seasoning or all-purpose chicken seasoning
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-2 habanero peppers scotch bonnet, seeded and minced
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 ½ cups chopped bell pepper cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- Prep the Chicken: Set out a large mixing bowl. Remove the chicken skins, leaving the meat and bones intact. Place the chicken in the bowl and discard the skins. Pour the lime juice over the top of the chicken and toss them to coat.
- Marinate: To the chicken, add the chopped onion, garlic, curry powder, adobo seasoning, ginger, thyme, allspice, and habanero. Toss well to coat. Then allow the chicken to rest and marinate for at least 30 minutes. (If you want to do this ahead, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator.)
- Brown the Chicken: Set a large 6-8 quart saucepot over medium heat. Add the oil. Once hot, add half the chicken pieces. Brown the chicken on both sides, for 2-3 minutes. Remove the chicken pieces, then brown the remaining chicken pieces in the oil for 2-3 minutes per side. Add the first batch of chicken back to the pot. Then pour in all the onions and seasonings from the bowl. Use tongs to stir the onions and garlic to the bottom of the pot to brown for 2-3 minutes.
- Simmer: Pour in the chopped potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and chicken broth. Stir well. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes, reducing the heat if needed. Then uncover and simmer another 5 minutes to thicken the broth. Once the potatoes and carrots are fork-tender, taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve: Enjoy warm with rice or Jamaican Peas and Rice.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!