Gemelli Pasta with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Gemelli Pasta with Mushroom Cream Sauce Recipe – Tender, twisty Gemelli pasta is tossed with an unbelievably rich and creamy mushroom sauce for a delicious dish that is surprisingly easy to make!
Many of my weeknight go-to meals are quick and easy pasta dishes. You know the kind… Those tried-and-true gems that require little more than boiling water and whipping up a simple one-pan veggie sauce, but still deliver delicious and satisfying flavors.
This fabulous Gemelli Pasta with Creamy Mushroom Sauce recipe is a family favorite, particularly during the winter. I often make it to serve as a side dish or enjoy by itself as a warm and cozy one-bowl meal!
Gemelli Pasta and Creamy, Dreamy Mushroom Sauce
Creamy Mushroom Gemelli Pasta is a hearty and luxurious pasta dish that is perfect for the cold weather months.
Thick Gemelli (or your choice of pasta) is tossed with a savory mushroom sauce made with heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Top each bowl with extra parmesan shavings to give every bite just the right balance of tender pasta, rich creaminess, and crave-able salty/umami flavors.
This pasta is seriously decadent, earthy, and irresistible! Serve as a vegetarian main dish or a delicious side with your favorite proteins. Or both! I would not blame you one bit if you made it a couple of times throughout the week.
Ingredients You Need
- Gemelli pasta – or other small spiral noodles
- Butter – unsalted
- Cremini mushrooms – sliced
- Wild or shiitake mushrooms – sliced
- Garlic – minced
- Fresh rosemary – chopped
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Cooking sherry – see FAQ for nonalcoholic substitutes
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese – grated
- Salt and pepper – to taste
How to Make Gemelli Pasta with a Creamy Mushroom Sauce
Set a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring it to a boil. Once the water is boiling, cook the Gemelli pasta according to the package instructions. Drain, and reserve 1 cup of pasta water for later use.
Meanwhile, slice all the mushrooms into thin slices. Then chop the garlic, rosemary, and thyme.
Set a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the butter, mushrooms, and garlic. Then add a good sprinkling of salt to the mushrooms.
Stir and sauté the mushrooms until they release their juices, 5-6 minutes.
Add in the cooking sherry and fresh herbs. Stir well and simmer another 3-5 minutes, until most of the moisture has cooked down.
Stir in the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese.
Get the Complete (Printable) Creamy Mushroom Gemelli Pasta Recipe + VIDEO Below. Enjoy!
Once the cheese has melted into the sauce, place the drained pasta into the sauté pan. Stir to coat the pasta with the mushroom sauce. Add ½ – 1 cup of the reserved pasta water to the pan to loosen the sauce.
Once the pasta is well coated and the sauce has tightened a little, taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
Serve warm with an extra sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
The pasta is scrumptious to enjoy by itself as a vegetarian one-bowl dish. Pair with a green salad and crusty baked bread for an even heartier meal.
Speaking of complete meals, mushroom cream sauce pasta is a fabulous side dish as well. It goes beautifully with flaky white fish, pork chops, or steaks!
Frequently Asked Questions
What other types of pasta can I use?
Can’t find Gemelli pasta? Try this recipe with Cavatelli or Fusilli pasta.
What can I use as a cooking sherry substitute to make this recipe without alcohol?
Sherry has a very distinct flavor that is hard to replicate. However, you can swap the sherry with just 1 tablespoon of nonalcoholic apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar, or white cooking vinegar.
How long do leftovers last?
This dish is delish the next day! The flavors get even more robust as the pasta and cream sauce sit together. Transfer cooled leftovers to an airtight container and keep them in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Microwave in short 30-second bursts to reheat.
How did Gemelli pasta get its name?
This pasta got its name from an Italian word that is translated into English as “twins” because of its unique shape. It was created in the Puglia region of Southern Italy.
Can I add some kind of protein to this recipe?
This delicious meal would pair well with chicken, shrimp, or sausage! You can also add in your favorite vegetables for more variety.
Looking For More Delicious Pasta Dishes? Be Sure To Also Try These Recipes:
- Balsamic Roasted Cherry Tomatoes (with Pasta)
- Avocado Pesto Stuffed Shells
- Creamy Spinach Artichoke Pasta
- Italian Mac and Cheese
- One-Pot Spinach Ricotta Pasta
Check the printable recipe card below for the nutrient information including calories, protein, and total fat percentages.
Gemelli Pasta with Creamy Mushroom Sauce Recipe + VIDEO
- 16 ounces gemelli pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 16 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 10 ounces wild mushrooms or shiitake sliced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup cooking sherry
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Set a large pot of salted water over high heat and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, cook the gemelli pasta according to package instructions. Drain reserving 1 cup of pasta water for later use.
- Meanwhile slice all the mushrooms into thin slices. Then chop the garlic, rosemary, and thyme.
- Set a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the butter, mushrooms, and garlic. Add a good sprinkling of salt to the mushrooms. Stir and sauté the mushrooms until they release their juices, 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the cooking sherry and fresh herbs. Stir well and simmer another 3-5 minutes, until most of the moisture has cooked down.
- Stir in the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Once the cheese has melted into the sauce, place the drained pasta into the sauté pan. Stir to coat the pasta with the mushroom sauce. Add ½ – 1 cup of the reserved pasta water to the pan to loosen the sauce.
- Once the pasta is well coated and the sauce has tightened a little, taste, then salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve warm with an extra sprinkling of Parmesan cheese.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: Gemelli Pasta Recipes - Delight Your Taste Buds Now!
This was excellent. Delicious complex flavours, like sausage, but without the meat. I made a half recipe for two of us and it was just right.
Wow, this Gemelli pasta with mushroom sauce was so delicious! I’m going to be adding this to the weekly recipes at home.
This pasta has become my favorite dish to make and I love the creamy mushroom sauce! thank you for sharing this recipe!
Such a delicious pasta recipe. I love the creamy mushroom sauce, easy to make and so good!