Decadent Frozen Hot Chocolate, a cool treat for hot summer days!
Sometimes we crave things at the wrong time of year… Am I right?
For instance, right now when I should be dreaming about berry desserts and watermelon I have my heart set on pumpkin cheesecake bars. Obviously I could go ahead and make them, but it just seems wrong to make pumpkin anything until at least September.
However, I have found a way to fudge on these unspoken seasonal rules to some degree. Like serving hot things cold, when it’s best suited to do so.
Say hello to Frozen Hot Chocolate… A normally warm beverage recreated in a frozen state of being.
By this time of summer, you’ve probably had fresh fruit smoothies and milkshakes so much you are ready for a change of pace. Frozen Hot Chocolate is just the thing to dazzle the senses and cool you off on a hot day!
Simply melt dark chocolate in a small pot with cocoa powder, sugar, milk, and a bit of instant coffee granules. The coffee granules are added to enhance the deep chocolatey flavor, but do not overpower.
Then pour the hot chocolate mixture into a blender and add more cold milk, vanilla extract, and ice. Puree until the mixture it thick and frosty.
Pour the Frozen Hot Chocolate into glasses and serve as-is, or topped with whipped cream and all your favorite sweet garnishes.
The kids love them with whipped cream and sprinkles. For an enticing visual effect, I like to shmear hot fudge sauce around the inside of the glasses and let it drip down the side before adding the Frozen Hot Chocolate.
Frozen Hot Chocolate can also be “turtled” by adding chocolate sauce and caramel sauce to the insides of the glasses, then topping each glass with whipped cream and chopped pecans!
Surprise your friends and family this week with an unexpected summertime treat. Frozen Hot Chocolate is guaranteed to conjure up big smiles!
Frozen Hot Chocolate
Yield: 4 servings
Frozen Hot Chocolate Recipe – A cool creamy blend of sweet chocolate and milk, topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
- 5 ounces dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 cups ice
- Possible garnishes: whipped cream, chocolate sauce, hot fudge, shaved chocolate curls, chopped nuts, caramel sauce, sprinkles
- Place the chocolate, sugar, cocoa powder, instant coffee granules, and 1 cup milk in a small sauce pot. Warm over medium heat and stir until the chocolate has melted into the milk. Once smooth, remove from heat. Do not let the mixture boil.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into a blender. Add the remaining milk to the blender, along with the vanilla extract and ice. Cover and blend until very smooth.
- Pour into glasses and add whipped cream and garnishes if desired!
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 4
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 317 Calories
- Total Fat: 14.8g
- Saturated Fat: 9.8g
- Cholesterol: 20mg
- Sodium: 84mg
- Carbohydrates: 40.3g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sugar: 37.3g
- Protein: 7g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!