Best Slow Cooker Carnitas
Crock Pot Carnitas
What is it about Mexican cuisine that makes us ravenously woozy with anticipation?
I can’t quite put a finger on it, but I can tell you, tender shreds of spicy pork served with cheese, veggies, and warm tortillas always sounds good to me.
Crock Pot Pork Carnitas Recipe
We make carnitas as a base recipe for all sorts of Mexican creations.
Seriously… you can use a good carnitas recipe in anything from chili, to quesadillas, to nachos, even on pizza. I’ll stop now before I pass out from the thought of a steaming pork carnitas pizza covered in cheese.
Traditional carnitas are made in a dutch oven, but I like to prepare my Best Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe in the crock pot, so I can start it in the morning and not think about it again until dinner time.
Slow Cooker Carnitas Ingredients
- Bacon Grease – To add extra pork essence.
- Onions and Garlic – The essentials for deep flavor.
- Pork Butt – Buy one big roast and cut it into large chunks.
- Orange Juice – This offers sweetness and tang.
- Liquid Smoke – To mske the pork taste like it was cooked on a smoker.
- Ground Cumin – To a peppery note.
- Ancho Chile Pepper – The most flavorful chile pepper, in my humble opinion.
- Salt and Pepper – Add a little before cooking. Then season to taste at the end.
How To Make the Best Slow Cooker Carnitas
This is so easy, guys…
- You simply dump all the ingredients for the carnitas recipe in the slow cooker
- Set it, and walk away.
With sweet and tangy orange juice, aromatic spices, and a little bit of liquid smoke mingling with the pork for hours, how could this not be divine?
Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas
Once you’ve cooked the tar out of the carnitas (in the words of my dad) the pork is so tender, it nearly falls apart when you shred it with a fork.
Then either serve the Best Slow Cooker Carnitas as-is, or crisp-ify it under the broiler.
Personally, I’m crazy over the little crispy bits.
Get the Full (Printable) Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe Below
This simple “Best Slow Cooker Carnitas” recipe is a must-have in your arsenal of recipes.
We use it most often in “street tacos” with onions, cilantro, and fresh warm puffy tortillas. Es increíble!
More Comforting Recipes We Love
- Slow Cooker Jambalaya
- Spicy Southwest Pumpkin Soup
- Chicken and Dumplings Soup
- Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja
- 2-Ingredient Crock Pot Chicken Taco Meat
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Beef Tenderloin
- Crock Pot Chickpea Curry
- The Best Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- Baked Turnip Fries
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Jalapeno Corn Cakes with Avocado Salsa
- Taco Mac & Cheese Bundt Cake
Best Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Smear the bacon grease on the bottom of a large slow cooker. Cut the pork into large chunks and place inside the slow cooker. Then add ALL remaining ingredients around the pork.
- Turn the slow cooker on: Low for 8-10 hours, or High for 4-6 hours. Once the pork is fork-tender, use 2 forks to shred the meat into the juices.
- If you like your carnitas crispy on the edges (like it's served in restaurants) use a slotted spoon to scoop the meat out of the juices and spread in a thin layer on a baking sheet(s). Place on the upper oven rack and broil for 2-5 minutes, until darker crispy edges form. Do not take your eyes off the broiler, you can burn the carnitas quickly. Serve over rice, taco, or on top of salads!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!