Potato Skins Mac and Cheese
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Football season wouldn’t be football season, without a few hearty snacks to go along with it. Today I’ve combined two of the most comforting dishes I know, Baked Potato Skins and traditional Baked Mac and Cheese into one glorious meal! Introducing our Baked Potato Skins Mac and Cheese Recipe.
No, this is not overkill. I promise it’s not.
If you are going to take the time to make homemade baked Mac and Cheese with fresh creamy cheese sauce, you need a killer crust to top it. And what better “crust” than a cheesy potato skins recipe?
You can’t argue with that.
It all started with a bag of the cutest baby golden potatoes.
They were just begging to be turned into something extravagant. Something with a bit of wow-factor.
So I roasted them, halved them, scooped out most of the flesh, and brushed them with oil. Then I gave each tiny potato skin a little kiss of cream cheese.
Rich savory cheese sauce made with more cream cheese, cheddar, and sour cream, replicates the flavors in a baked potato skins recipe.
Then stir in cooked macaroni, crumbled bacon and green onions.
Finally sprinkle the leftover bits of golden potato over the top, arrange the potato skins, and sprinkle with even more cheese.
Bake and sigh…
You want this. You really want this.
And after months of light healthy summer meals, this is the time to splurge a little on this Baked Potato Skins Mac and Cheese Recipe.
More Cozy Pasta Dishes:
Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese
Creamy Avocado Pasta ~ The Comfort of Cooking
Cheesy Chicken Southwest Pasta Casserole ~ Lauren’s Latest
Broccoli Mac and Cheese ~ White on Rice
Baked Potato Skins Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 24 ounces baby golden potatoes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/3 pounds shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 10 ounces cream cheese divided
- 12 ounces bacon fried and crumbled, divided
- 1 cup chopped green onions divided
- Cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of oil. Salt and pepper liberally and shake the pan a little to coat them with oil. Roast for 30 minutes, or until cooked through. Then set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in a large pot of salted water, according to package instructions. Drain and set aside in a colander.
- Using the same pot, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Once melted whisk in the flour and cook the roux (butter-flour mixture) for 1 minute. Then whisk in the milk and add the sour cream and 8 ounces cream cheese. Bring to a simmer and whisk until the mixture is thick and smooth. Add 1 pound shredded cheddar and whisk until smooth. Then add a dash or two of cayenne pepper and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the cooked macaroni, 2/3 cup crumbled bacon, and 2/3 cup green onions into the cheese sauce. Stir to coat. Pour the macaroni into a 9x13-inch baking dish and set aside.
For the Potato Skins:
- Preheat the oven to Broil. Cut each potato in half lengthwise. carefully scoop of most of the flesh, leaving just a little potato attached to the skin. Reserve the crumbled potato flesh.
- Brush the potato skins with oil. With the remaining 2 ounces of cream cheese, place a scant 1/2 tsp dollop of cream cheese in each potato skin.
- Sprinkle the crumbled potato over the mac and cheese. Then arrange the potato skins over the top. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 pound shredded cheddar over the potato skins and add pepper to taste.
- For creamy baked mac and cheese, place the baked mac and cheese in the oven under the broiler for 2-3 minutes, watch carefully. You want the cheese to melt and the tops to toast, but not burn. For more a traditional "firm" baked mac and cheese recipe, turn the oven to 400 degrees, and bake for 20 minutes until the tops are golden. Once out of the oven, sprinkle the remaining green onions and bacon over the top and serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Pingback: 72 Yummy, Filling Potato Recipes For Any Day Of The Week – Folobooks
Pingback: Potato Casseroles - 23 Of The Best Recipes On The Internet - Whimsy & Spice
I made this the first time exactly like the recipe. It was delicious. However, my family and I all decided the potato part was totally unnecessary for the delicious Mac and cheese we were looking for. So now I make it often but without the added work of the potatoes. We LOVE the Mac and chees part. Best I’ve ever had.
Pingback: 20 Incredible Mac & Cheese Recipes You Can't Miss!
Pingback: Pool season is over, it’s time for some CARBS (30 Photos) - Self Scroll is your home for inspiring images and the people who snapped them. Explore Happiness:))
Pingback: Amazing Baked Mac And Cheese Recipe – Allinthenewspapers
Pingback: Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin - A Spicy Perspective
Pingback: 24 Potato Recipes That Should Be Illegal | CNN LIFEHACKS 2015
Pingback: 24 Potato Recipes That Should Be Illegal | One Click Smile
Pingback: 24 Potato Recipes That Should Be Illegal
Pingback: Food Nostalgia: 40 Popular 80’s recipes - GenXZ.com
Pingback: Goat Cheesy Purple Potatoes | grey&brianna's
Pingback: 17 Delicious Ways To Eat Potato Skins |Parkkar Lifestyles and News
Pingback: 17 Delicious Ways To Eat Potato Skins | c7c World
Pingback: 17 Delicious Ways To Eat Potato Skins | SaltyPepper
When roasting the potatoes is it best to cut them in half before
Pingback: Copycat Panera Macaroni and Cheese - Shugary Sweets
Pingback: Potato Skins Mac & Cheese | making it with danielle
Pingback: Potato Skins Mac and Cheese Recipe | Baking Beauty
Pingback: Superbowl Food & Cocktail Ideas | making it with danielle
Pingback: Me Vs. Recipe
Pingback: mac and cheese goodness – life hangover
Pingback: BEST 15 Macaroni and Cheese Recipes | All Yummy Recipes
Such a great and funny post. Well, and looks delish!!!
Pingback: Goat Cheesy Purple Potatoes | grey & brianna's
omg sommer, this is ridiculous! gimme a plate!
Pingback: Friday Favorites | Pittsburgh AmeriCourier
Pingback: Friday Favorites + Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons | Iowa Girl Eats
Pingback: Meal Plan 10/15 - 10/19
Pingback: High Five Fridays: Weekly Meal Plan (10.05.12), Football Food
Bleepity bleep, that looks AMAZING. Wow. Football food of the year!
Oh my gosh, girl… are you kidding me? This sounds AMAZING!
Wow! This looks amazing! I think I need to get on the football train just for the food.
Pingback: The Weekend Dish 9/22/2012
Okay I’m just going to revert into full country mode here…”Lawdy ha mercy on my soul!”
Whoa. That looks crazy fantastic!!
I literally could not stop thinking “oh. my. gosh” the entire time I was reading this.
I want it so badly.
This looks totally insane and totally yummy! I would not hav ethought to combine the two – but it’s brilliant!
Oh yeah. I want to douse the cheese sauce on everything! So yum :)
This is pure evil goodness~~ my kids would rip through this !!
Ummm, yes PLEASE!
I just made this and it is absolutely delicious! Real comfort food. I have also made the lavender and dark chocolate ice cream. Both are scrumptious!
Thanks and have a nice week!
This sounds amazing! Making the next time I’m asked to bring a dish to pass. Definitely not on the diet, though…
WOW. I don’t think I would have thought of this in like a million years, but I love it!
Oh man….you are genius! Two of my favorites in one?! Sign me up! :)
Holy smokes! This is easily the best mac and cheese recipe, EVER!
Oh wow…I love the idea of using baked potato skins in this dish. It’s so unique and sounds super delish!
how fun!! Sometimes you just gotta indulge :) this would be a must-have super bowl dish!
What an interesting version of Mac n Cheese!
Oh I want some, It looks fantastic!
What a cool twist on mac and cheese. Sounds and looks absolutely delicious.
Oh my word! This looks absolutely delicious, I think I might scrap my plans for dinner and make this instead!!
Wow…this looks really nice. I think you can have any ingredients you prefer for this recipe. Maybe can add some mushroom, hard-boiled egg and shrimp. It must be really yummy. :)
Wow, I think I just gained a few pounds looking at these mouth-watering photos. This looks like mac & cheese heaven!
Now that’s wow factor for you! I love the shot of the casserole with the spoon resting on it in the middle, beautiful.
You are right. I want this! Serves 8, you say?? In this house, it might serve 2. And that could be me eating it two times – once for lunch and again for dinner :-)
Are you kidding me with this?!! Holy heck. I am in cheesy, potato, pasta heaven!
Wow, what a great dish! This would sure be a family or party favorite! I love it!! I can’t wait to try it!!
What a great idea!
Oh man! Two things I love (that i can’t eat, but never mind that) in one recipe!
This is just evil….but I’ve been known to like evil things so I imagine it will all work out. Looks AMAZING…love your dishes too.
OMG, you combined two of my favourite foods!
Oh man, just when I was feeling so much resolve about my diet. This is insaaaaane. In a good way, of course. :)
I think you just created THE BEST mac and cheese ever!
This is amazing Sommer, a total crowd-pleaser!
holy cow. this is insane and you are amazing.
looks amazing! What a great idea
These look like just the thing for football season!
Heck yes! This has to be good.
This is officially going down as the most excitement my eyeballs have ever had.
I just…..can’t. I don’t…wow.
You’re killing me!! I want this. I might have to plan it for when hubs is away ha
I could eat this whole pan by myself. I’m not kidding.
There go the 15lbs I lost over the summer! :) Autumn is here and I Just want to eat constantly!
Whoa! This looks amazing!
WOW Sommer! this is fantastic!
Oh my gosh I am drooling over this. Well done. Well done.
Mac and cheese is one of those dishes that was meant to be over-the-top… and boy is this decadent! Now my tummy is gurgling. Hmmmmm, maybe I need some breakfast.
Cream cheese?! Macaroni?! Potato skins?! Sommer, will you marry me?
Awww yeah! This sounds so freaking delicious!
THIS might not be overkill, but I’m pretty sure I’ve overkill it by overeating….