Southern Tomato Slab Pie
Yield: 24 pieces
Prep Time: 15 minutes (active time)
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into cubes (2 sticks)
- 6-8 tablespoons cold milk
- Place the flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Then add the cold butter cubes and pulse into a fine pebble mixture. Add 6 tablespoons cold milk and pulse until the dough comes together into a smooth ball. If needed, add 1-2 more tablespoons milk. Press the dough into a flat rectangle and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, mix the Borden® Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shreds, mayonnaise, garlic, and scallions. Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch rounds and lay the slices on paper towels to drain off excess juices.
- Roll the chilled dough out on a piece of wax paper, into a 12 X 17 inch rectangle. Flip the dough over onto a 10 X 15 inch jelly roll pan. Remove the wax paper. Turn the edges of the dough under and crimp with a fork against the rim of the baking sheet.
- Spread the cheese-mayo mixture over the surface of the crust. Lay tomato slices over the mixture. Cut some tomato slice in half to fill in empty sections along the sides. Sprinkle the basil ribbons over the tomatoes. Then cover the surface of the pie with Borden® Four Cheese Mexican Shreds.
- Bake on the low rack for 30 minutes, until the crust is golden and the cheese has melted. Cool for 5 minutes, then cut and serve warm.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
PAGE: 1 2