Today I’m serving up a Big Fat Greek Salad. You’re welcome… Shave everything.
If you haven’t seen the movie My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2, you may miss the joke here, but that’s ok.
The first My Big Fat Greek Wedding movie, that came out in 2002, opened the eyes to the rest of the non-greek nation to the joys (and sorrows) of having a large greek family.
The movie had most of us rolling in our theater seats the entire summer of 2002. Then later quoting things like, “You don’t eat no meat?! That’s ok… I make lamb.” Or, “There’s a hole in this cake!”
A greek friend we met when we first moved to Asheville informed us that the stereotypical jokes were somewhat true, right down to spraying Windex on rashes and pimples. I’m sure not every greek family would agree.
When I heard a My Big Fat Greek Wedding sequel was coming out this year, I was ecstatic! I hoped, the sequel wouldn’t be a flop, like so many sequels before it.
Yet to my extremely pleasure, I found My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 to have the same fun-loving attributes as the first movie. Belly laughs, heart-felt moments, lots of togetherness.
So when I decided to share my heavily-loaded, over-flowing, almost-too-many-good-things-in-one-bowl greek salad, there was only one name for it… My Big Fat Greek Salad.
My Big Fat Greek Salad is a little more boisterous than the typical greek salad.
It’s ostentatious… in a good way.
Yes, you’ll find crispy lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, and cool cucumbers.
However, we’re also adding chickpeas, pepperazzis, artichoke hearts, kalamata olives, sun dried tomatoes, and feta cheese, if you so desire.
My Big Fat Greek Salad is a smorgasbord of textures, colors, and intense flavors!
Toss it all together with a fresh-made greek vinaigrette and you have a salad worthy of the greek gods.
My Big Fat Greek Salad is a must-make this season.
I suggest pairing it with my Greek Lemon Chicken Soup and then head off to the movies!
My Big Fat Greek Salad
Yield: 8+ servings
Prep Time:20 minutes
My Big Fat Greek Salad Recipe. Zesty greek vinaigrette tossed with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, olives, artichokes, chickpeas, feta cheese, cucumbers, red peppers and more!
For the Greek Vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
For the Big Fat Greek Salad:
- 12 ounces chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 english cucumber, halved and sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 15 ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 10 ounce jar pepperazzi sweet peppers, drained and halved
- 1 1/4 cups pitted kalamata olives
- 3/4 cup jarred sun dried tomatoes, sliced thin
- 8 ounces feta cheese, cut into chunks or crumbled (optional)
- Place the ingredients for the greek vinaigrette in a jar. Screw the lid on and shake well to blend. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Shake again. (I usually add about 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.)
- Pile the chopped romaine lettuce in a large bowl. Neatly arrange the all the ingredients over the top of the lettuce.
- When ready to serve, shake the dressing again and drizzle over the salad. Toss to coat.
NOTE: If you omit the feta, and use agave syrup in the vinaigrette instead of honey, this salad is vegan.
Yield: 8+ servings, Serving Size: 1/8th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 352 Calories
- Total Fat: 21.9g
- Saturated Fat: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 25mg
- Sodium: 1475mg
- Carbohydrates: 32.1g
- Fiber: 9g
- Sugar: 10.4g
- Protein: 9.4g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!