Mexican Mocha Recipe (Mexican Coffee)
Mexican Mocha Recipe (Mexican Coffee) – Rich chocolatey coffee with a kick of cinnamon and spicy heat. This latin-inspired mocha recipe will keep you warm, down to your toes, all through the chilly months.
Why We Love This Mexican Mocha Recipe
Ever had a Mexican Mocha Recipe?
It’s a cafe mocha drink with the addition of rustic spices and spicy heat!
When I step into a coffee shop, it’s the first thing I look for on the menu. This rich blend of coffee and cream with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cayenne pepper makes this warming beverage even more stimulating. As far as coffee drinks go, this one is a definite favorite of mine.
The spices add an extra layer of warming-power that makes my throat tingle and my heart happy. And the cocoa adds loads of chocolatey flavor without being overpoweringly sweet like chocolate syrups!
My recipe today is written for one beverage. Yet, this is a great mix to make in a larger batch for edible gifts this season.
Just imagine packaging up a jar of Mexican Mocha Recipe Mix with some aromatic roasted coffee beans, and a cute little instruction tag!
Personally, I like to make a large batch of Mexican Coffee Mix to keep in the pantry for rainy days.
Ingredients You Need
- Strong Coffee – or two shots espresso will work as well
- Powdered Sugar – to sweeten things up!
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – dutch cocoa is best
- Cinnamon – warming spice
- Nutmeg – another super comforting warming spice
- Cayenne Pepper – for a hint of spice!
- Heavy Cream – half & half is a good substitute, as well as cashew cream
How To Make Mexican Coffee
- Mix. In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
- Combine. Pour the coffee into a large mug, and stir in the cocoa mix, until smooth. Then add cream to taste.
- Enjoy. You can sprinkle some of the spices on top of the coffee for an added effect.
I usually like to make a larger batch of the Mexican Mocha Mix so I can make them quickly when needed. See batch instructions below.
See The Recipe Card Below For How To Make A Mexican Mocha Recipe (Mexican Coffee) + VIDEO. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- For less caffeine, make your Mexican mocha with decaf coffee or espresso! Or, make it a Mexican hot chocolate by using hot milk as the liquid instead.
- Instead of heavy cream, you can use whole milk! It just won’t be as creamy, but still delicious! Skim milk will result in a more watery flavor and darker color.
- The powdered sugar serves as the sweetener here, however, if you want some extra sweetness you can add a dash of maple syrup or honey!
- To make your easy mocha recipe extra creamy, serve with some whipped cream on top! And don’t forget to garnish with a cinnamon stick. So cute!
- Serve as a pick-me-up with some Mexican chocolate crinkle cookies or shortbread!
Frequently Asked Questions
If you make a batch, what is the serving size?
If making a large batch, the recipe makes enough mix for 8 servings. 3 tablespoons of the mixture should be added to 6 ounces of coffee plus 1-3 tablespoons of cream. So it should equal approximately 1 cup per serving.
If you make this with the espresso shots, do you add water to your mug?
Yes, if you are using the espresso shots, add hot water like an Americano. Make sure to leave enough room for the cocoa mix and cream.
How can I make strong coffee without an espresso machine?
To make a batch of strong coffee, you can use a French press or a normal coffee machine, but you will want to add almost double the amount of ground coffee than usual! This will ensure some nice, strong coffee.
Can I make vegan Mexican mocha?
Definitely! If you want, you can use plant-based milk like cashew cream, coconut milk, oat milk, or almond milk! Use whichever is your favorite. You will still have an absolutely delicious spicy coffee!
Can you use this recipe to make Iced Mexican Coffee?
Yes, absolutely! To make an iced Mexican mocha, remix the ingredients for 3-4 mugs in a pitcher. Then cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days. When ready to serve, shake well, and pour over ice cubes. In this case, you can use a cold brew coffee instead!
Looking for More Warm Beverages to Try? Be Sure to Check Out:
- Retro Hot Buttered Rum Recipe (Crock Pot)
- Hot Apple Cider Wassail Recipe
- Salted Caramel Hot Apple Cider Recipe
- Best Chai Tea Recipe
- French Hot Chocolate Recipe
- Lemon Ginger Detox Tea Recipe
- Mulled Wine (Wassail Recipe)
- Drinking Caramel Recipe
- Toffee Caramel Latte Recipe from Battery Park Book Exchange
Mexican Mocha Recipe (Mexican Coffee)
- In a small bowl, mix the dry ingredients together.
- Pour the coffee in a large mug, stir in the cocoa mix, until smooth. Then add cream to taste.
- I usually like to make a larger batch of the Mexican Mocha Mix so I can make them quickly when needed. See batch instructions below.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. cinammon
- 2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Use 3 tablespoons per cup.