Retro Crock Pot Hot Buttered Rum
Retro Crock Pot Hot Buttered Rum Recipe – Get ready to cheers the holiday season with mugs of deliciously rich and spicy Hot Buttered Rum. This recipe is easy to make in the slow cooker or on the stovetop!
There’s nothing quite like a mug of hot, spicy, super buttery buttered rum to bring back warm nostalgic feelings.
It’s a wonderful treat for cold winter nights, and adds an air of festivity to any gathering! In fact, you’ll always find a big crockpot full of Hot Buttered Rum at our annual holiday parties.
This tried-and-true family recipe makes the richest, most flavorful Hot Buttered Rum batter ever. As the Crock-Pot base heats throughout the day it creates deep and spicy flavor, while also filling the house with the most amazing aroma.
You can make this on the stovetop as well, but the extra time in the slow cooker really intensifies the flavor. Give our recipe a try this winter and I’m sure it will become a part of your holiday traditions, too!
The Best Easy Hot Buttered Rum Mix Recipe
Let’s discuss Hot Buttered Rum methods… Most OG recipes include rum, water, sugar, spices, and of course butter. However, there is currently this trend to make (ahead) a hot buttered rum “batter” using ice cream as a base to keep the butter from pooling on top of the rum.
In my opinion, this is totally unnecessary, and a waste of good ice cream.
Instead, it is much easier and more efficient to make a simple hot buttered rum mix that cooks hands-off in the crock pot. Then you simply whisk in a little heavy cream before serving, and it does just about the same thing as a pre-made batter… The cream perfectly thickens the rum, and allows the butter to emulsify with the liquid.
My ice cream-free method also gives you a more pure buttered rum flavor, instead of turning it into a cloyingly sweet dessert beverage.
What Ingredients You Need
Hot Buttered Rum includes all of the most beloved flavors of the holidays in one warm, cozy mug of goodness. To make the best batch from scratch in the slow cooker, you need:
- Water – as the base
- Light brown sugar – for just the right amount of sweetness
- Salted butter – I love using salted butter for the greatest depth of flavor
- Cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, and ground nutmeg – together these infuse each mugful with the taste of the holidays
- Cayenne pepper – adds a lovely kick of spice to balance the sweet notes
- Spiced or dark rum – your choice, depending on the desired level of spiciness
- Heavy cream – to create a perfectly creamy, luxurious Hot Buttered Rum with no batter needed!
Be sure to have some extra ground nutmeg on hand for garnishing!
How to Make Crock Pot Hot Buttered Rum
This is a fantastic 3 step retro recipe that you’ll love busting out every year to impress your holiday guests!
Here’s the easiest recipe for making Hot Buttered Rum in the slow cooker:
- Combine all of the ingredients except for the rum and heavy cream in the Crock Pot.
- Then cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or high for 3 hours.
- Whisk in the rum and heavy cream when you’re ready to enjoy.
You can serve the mixture in the slow cooker turned to Warm or completely off.
Keep a ladle by the crock to allow guests to serve themselves, if you like.
Hot mugs of homemade buttery rum are the best when enjoyed with whipped cream and an extra pinch of nutmeg on top.
Get the Complete (Printable) Retro Crock Pot Hot Buttered Rum Recipe Below. Enjoy!
How Long Does Homemade Hot Buttered Rum Keep Well?
I do not recommend making this recipe in advance. Once the Hot Buttered Rum is heated thoroughly in the Crock Pot you do not want it to cool and re-heat. This is because the rich cream and alcohol will separate when cooled, and does not come back together well once heated again.
However, you can make the mix – minus the rum and heavy cream – a few days ahead of time using the slow cooker or stove top. Then cool and store in the fridge, and pour back into the Crock Pot on the day you want to serve. Once hot, whisk in the rum and heavy cream per the recipe instructions.
Looking for More Delicious Holiday Drink Recipes?
- Champagne Holiday Punch Recipe
- Holiday Apple Cinnamon Old Fashioned
- Orange Clove Hot Toddy
- Holiday Wine Punch Cocktails
- Salted Caramel Hot Apple Cider Recipe
Retro Crock Pot Hot Buttered Rum Recipe
- Place the water, brown sugar, butter, and all spices in a large crock pot. Stir well to dissolve the sugar.
- Cover the slow cooker for 3+ hours on HIGH heat or 6+ hours on LOW heat.
- When ready to serve, whisk in the rum and heavy cream. Taste, and add a pinch of salt or extra cayenne if needed. Ladle into mugs and serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!