Holiday Apple Cinnamon Old Fashioned
I’m sort of a light weight when it comes to cocktails.
One makes me extreeeeemely open and honest.
Two drinks put me under the table.
So when it comes to mixing drinks, Lt. Dan knows he has to make the first one count, because it will probably be my only beverage.
He’s gotten really good at making cocktails that have a touch of sweetness to cut the hard liquor, yet are delicately complex, so you savor every sip to decipher what he put in it.
…I love that.
Festive Favorite: Apple Cinnamon Old Fashioned
His holiday Apple Cinnamon Old Fashioned recipe is a new favorite for the winter season. Dark, rich depth from Musselman’s Apple Butter helps accentuate the bourbon and bitters.
The combination makes you want to either curl up beside a roaring fire or clink glasses with a roomful of your friends. However you choose to enjoy this New Year’s Eve cocktail, you’ll certainly get that warm holiday feeling from this delightful drink.
Get the Full Apple Cinnamon Old Fashioned Holiday Cocktail Recipe Below!
What You Need to Make Holiday Old Fashioned Cocktails
Have all of your ingredients ready to go at your bar-area, so you can shake up each of these Apple Cinnamon Old Fashioned cocktails fresh for your holiday guests.
- Sugar cubes
- Aromatic bitters
- Musselman’s Apple Butter
- Apple peel
- Club soda
- Ice cubes
- Bourbon – our favorites are 4 Roses and Bulleit
- Cinnamon sticks
TIP: If you want to peel your apples before hosting your New Year’s Eve party, immediately put in the freezer after peeling. Apple peels will keep well stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to three months.
How to Make an Apple Cinnamon Old Fashioned
I love a good hefty stemless glass for serving bourbon-based cocktails like this Apple Cinnamon Old Fashioned. For each cocktail, simply follow these steps:
- Place one sugar cube, Musselman’s Apple Butter, a few dashes of the aromatic bitters, apple peels and club soda in the bottom of a glass. Muddle together in the glass.
- Add several ice cubes and 2.5 ounces of bourbon.
- Finally, add a few more apple peels and stir with a cinnamon stick to serve.
There you have it: the perfect bold and zesty holiday cocktail for ringing in the New Year! The strong bourbon and bitters are beautifully mellowed by the slight sweetness of apple, and cinnamon wraps it all together with a festive bow of winter flavor.
Let’s all cheers to Lt. Dan!
Is There a Non-Alcoholic Version of this Apple Cinnamon Old Fashioned?
You certainly can serve this variation of an Old Fashioned as a mocktail! Barley tea is a recommended substitute for the bourbon. Also, there are now several non-alcoholic distilled spirits available at stores – check with your local grocer!
Looking for More New Year’s Eve Cocktail Recipes?
- Holiday Wine Punch
- Spiced Manhattan
- Sparkling Champagne Punch
- Darjeeling Milk Punch
- Smoke and Mirrors Cocktail
- Champagne Holiday Punch
Apple Cinnamon Old Fashioned Recipe
- 1 sugar cube
- 3-4 dashes aromatic bitters
- 2 teaspoons Musselman's Apple Butter
- 2 strips apple peel
- 1/2 ounce club soda
- 2 1/2 ounces bourbon We like 4 Roses and Bulleit
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Place the sugar cube, bitters, Musselman's Apple Butter, apple peels and club soda in a glass. Muddle in the glass.
- Then add ice and bourbon. Stir well and add the cinnamon stick.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!