Magic All-Purpose Cashew Cream Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Cashew Cream Recipe – This vegan Cashew Cream is simply the best plant-based dairy substitute for all of your favorite rich and creamy dishes – Both savory and sweet!
The Best Cashew Cream Recipe
Whether or not you adhere to a strict dairy-free or vegan diet, it is always great to include more protein on your plate in the form of healthful and delicious cashew nuts.
Magical, marvelous, wonderfully versatile Cashew Cream is easy to make with only 3 ingredients. By far this is the best dairy substitute for vegan and plant-based lifestyles, in my humble opinion. It’s smooth, rich, flavorful, and simple to make as thick or creamy as you like.
And with just a few minor alterations you can use it in place of heavy cream, whipped cream, sour cream and cream cheese!
Uses for Cashew Cream
Cashew Cream is seriously the hardest working all-purpose magic ingredient for making the best sweet and savory vegan recipes.
Here are some savory recipe suggestions:
- Sour Cream – Cashew Cream is the perfect for topping Zucchini and Crimini Street Tacos, Superfood Fajita Bowls, or your favorite veggie enchiladas.
- Cream Cheese – Use a vegan version to make the Best Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms or Hot Onion Dip with Fried Onions for delicious party snacks.
- Heavy Cream – Substitute dairy-based cream called for in these Creamy Roasted Tomato Soup with Basil, Creamy Wild Mushroom Soup, and Crockpot Chickpea Curry recipes.
And you’ve got to try these sweet dishes:
- Cream Cheese – On the sweet side, vegan cashew cream cheese is great for making Cream Cheese Pound Cake, Apple Pie Cream Cheese Wontons, this Layered Pumpkin Turtle Cheesecake, or nearly any cream cheese-based dessert recipe.
- Whipped Cream – Dairy-free cashew whipped cream is great for topping these Coconut Macadamia Nut Waffles for breakfast or dessert (or both!), or a fresh Strawberry Pie, or any of your favorite sweet treats!
Ingredients You Need
The most magical all-purpose Cashew Cream is made with just 3 simple ingredients:
Keep reading for steps to make this multi-talented and super tasty condiment into a variety of other cooking staples… Each suggestion includes other basic ingredients needed to create a delicious dairy-free sour cream, whipped cream, and more!
How to Make Vegan Cashew Cream
The first and most important step is to soak the nuts in boiling water. This makes them soft and tender, and just right for pureeing into a smooth cream.
To do so, simply soak the cashews in 3 cups of boiling water for at least 1 hour. The longer the better!
When you’re ready to make the cream, drain the water from the container.
Place the cashews in a blender with a bit of fresh water and pinch of salt. Cover the jar and blend for about 3 minutes, until very thick and perfectly smooth.
Get the Complete (Printable) Magic All-Purpose Cashew Cream Recipe Below. Enjoy!
Other Variations of this Recipe
With just a few simple tweaks this homemade cashew cream can be turned into several other amazing recipes.
Use it to make a sweet or savory dip! Add in nutmeg, cinnamon, and maple syrup for a lightly sweet dip that pairs perfectly with fresh apple slices or cinnamon pita chips. Or, add chopped scallions, lemon zest, and minced garlic to make a savory dip for enjoying with chips, crackers, or raw veggies.
Here are some more easy ideas you’ve got to try!
How to Make Vegan Heavy Cream
Add an additional 1/4 – 1/2 cup of water to the blender of cashews and puree smooth. This will make a creamy, silky non-dairy cashew heavy cream.
How to Make Cashew Sour Cream
To the blender add an extra 1/4 cup of water, plus 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar. These terrifically acidic ingredients give vegan sour cream that bright tanginess you know and love.
To Make Cashew Cream Cheese
Blend in 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast for a luscious, rich vegan cream cheese.
How to Make Cashew Whipped Cream
This recipe makes a wonderfully sweet and fluffy whipped cream by adding 2 tablespoons of water, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and either 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or sugar OR one large pitted date. Blend until smooth.
How to Store Homemade Cashew Cream
Whether you prepare as a vegan cashew sour cream, whipped cream, or cream cheese, it should be transferred into an airtight container. It will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Dairy-free Cashew Cream can also be stored in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 6 months. Defrost completely in the fridge overnight before using.
Looking for More Delicious Vegan-Friendly Recipes?
- Gluten Free Vegan Fruit Pizza
- No-Churn Mocha Mint Chip Vegan Ice Cream
- Roasted Poblano Dip
- 2 Ingredient Easy Chocolate Fondue
- Cowboy Caviar (Buffalo Style!)
Magic All-Purpose Vegan Cashew Cream
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews
- Boil 3 cups of water. Place the cashews in a heat-safe bowl or container. Pour the boiling water over the cashews and let them soak for at least 1 hour, but longer is better.
For Thick All-Purpose Cashew Cream:
- When ready to make, drain off the water. Place the swollen cashews in a high-power blender. Add ½ cup fresh water and ¼ – ½ salt. Cover the blender jar and puree until very smooth and thick, about 3 minutes.
For Cashew Heavy Cream:
- Add an additional ¼ – ½ cup water and puree to thin the cream out a little.
For Cashew Sour Cream:
- Add an additional ¼ cup water, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar.
For Cashew Cream Cheese:
- Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast.
For Cashew Whipped Cream:
- Add an additional 2 tablespoons water, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons sugar or maple syrup (or one large pitted date.)
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Very versatile cream! Nice recipe
Pingback: How To Prepare Pupusas - Allrecipesweb
Looks so delicious. I can’t wait to try this one out with my family!
This is absolutely delicious! I love that this is a dairy alternative! I would love to indulge and eat as much as I want, unfortunately I’m not supposed to eat too many cashews. My family will have to help me eat this; I’m sure they won’t mind! :) Do you know if this would work out the same if I used pecans or walnuts instead of cashews?
Such a great substitute and so easy too! Excited to give this a try!