Jugo Verde (Green Juice)
“Jugo Verde” Green Juice – Mexico’s healthy and delicious green juice is light on the hips and big on flavor!
My Favorite Juice
I love to travel south or the border. One of the greatest joys of waking up in Mexico is sipping a frothy glass of “Jugo Verde” Green Juice first thing in the morning.
Jugo Verde, translated from spanish as Green Juice, might be the thing I miss most from our recent trip to Mexico. Whether we were eating breakfast at the hotel or heading out on the streets to find an open-air cafe, I could count on getting a bright fruity glass of fresh juice for breakfast.
…If only Lt. Dan would serve me freshly-squeezed juice with a paper umbrella every morning. Then I could be truly happy. *wink*
We experienced so many wonderful dishes in Mexico, yet it’s the simple things in life that leave the greatest impact.
Fortunately I can have Jugo Verde any time I want! This Mexican tradition is a simple blend of fruit and vegetables with a clean tropical flavor. Jugo Verde can be made with any combination of fruits and vegetables. However, the key ingredients in the variety we had in the Mayan Riviera are cactus, parsley and pineapple.
If you can’t find cactus paddles in the produce department of your grocery store, substitute a large celery stalk. The flavor will be different, but celery does provide the same “fresh and clean” quality as cactus.
Jugo Verde Tips
To make Jugo Verde at home, you can use a juicer if you have one. Yet I just pureed my green juice right in the blender. You can drink it thick and frothy like a green smoothie, or strain it to remove the pulp.
Either way, Jugo Verde is ridiculously refreshing and so good for you! This is a great way to get your kids to “eat” their veggies. Bonus, there is no need to mention the words vegetable or green in the title. *wink*
The combination of cucumber, cactus, parsley, orange, and pineapple is so vibrant and festive, if I close my eyes, I can almost imagine myself right back in Mexico!
Green Juice Ingredients
- Orange Juice
- Fresh Pineapple Chunks
- Nopal Cactus Paddle (or substitute for celery stalk)
- Packed Parsley or Cilantro
Green Juice Recipe
This is a very simple recipe. All you need is some fresh produce and a blender…
- Set out a bender and add in all the ingredients to the blender jar. Also add in a pinch of salt.
- Cover and turn on the blender. Puree until the contents are smooth.
- Once the juice is blended and its frothy, you can either filter out the pulp or drink it as is!
That’s it. Super simple and very delicious!
Get The Full (Printable) Recipe Below For How To Make Jugo Verde (Green Juice).
Green Juice Benefits
The ingredients in this fresh-made juice are all high in antioxidants which can help with anti-aging and disease prevention.
This juice is also full of key vitamins and minerals that help with your energy levels, so you can feel energized throughout the day to take on your busy life. The nutrients also help your immune system and improves your digestive health.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you peel the cactus or blend it whole?
When I make green juice I blend the whole piece of cactus. This is how I was taught to make it in Mexico.
Why make this drink?
Other than the great flavor of this beverage, it helps you to get in some necessary fruit and vegetables for your daily diet.
How long does this drink last?
You can make green juice up to 5 days in advance. Store it in an airtight container to the refrigerator. Then stir well before serving.
Other Green Recipes
- Detox Celery Juice Recipe
- Basil Beet Juice Recipe
- Green Protein Smoothie Recipe
- Panda Express Super Greens Copycat Recipe
- Lean Green Chicken Soup Recipe
- Mean Green Buddha Bowl Recipe
- Zucchini and Green Chutney Salad Recipe
- Green Risotto Recipe
Jugo Verde (Green Juice)
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pineapple chunks
- 1/2 Nopal cactus paddle chopped (or substitute 1 celery stalk)
- 1 large cucumber with peel, cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup packed parsley or cilantro
- Place all the ingredients in the blender. Add a pinch of salt, place the lid firmly over the top, and puree until smooth.
- Once green and frothy, serve as-is or pour through a sieve to remove the pulp.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!