An artful low carb recipe with bold flavor, Zucchini and Green Chutney Salad.
Salads have the power to be wildly exciting or extremely boring.
When you are trying to follow a low carb diet, salads tend to be the latter. Without the help of nuts, cheese, and croutons, is there hope for salad?
I say yes.
It’s easy to get tired of the plain lettuce leaf variety. Sometimes you just need to branch out and experiment with other canvases.
Zucchini makes a great salad base because it has a mild and cooling flavor. It’s tender and easy to chop, but can also be sliced with a veggie peeler into long thin ribbons for an elegant touch.
This Zucchini and Green Chutney Salad brings together the feel of fine-dining with the flavors of India.
The dressing is a bright, spicy green chutney that draws its texture from pureed chana dal and it’s color and flavor from cilantro and peppers.
The roasted chana dal also provides a deep nutty essence that boosts the fresh cilantro to the forefront.
The salad itself is a simple mix of zucchini ribbons, sliced mango, and thinly sliced red onion. Once the dressing is added and sweetness of the mango and cool texture of the zucchini offer the perfect balance.
Zucchini and Green Chutney Salad is great on its own. Also try it with Indian Spice Rubbed Chicken!
Zucchini and Green Chutney Salad
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:10 minutes
Light and exotic Zucchini and Green Chutney Salad Recipe with amazing Indian style green sauce. It’s low carb and gluten free!
For the Green Chutney:
- ¼ cup chana dal (similar to yellow lentils)
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1-2 serrano peppers, seeded
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems and all
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Zucchini Salad:
- 4 zucchinis
- 1 large mango
- ½ red onion
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place the Chana Dal on a baking sheet and roast for 5-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Then move the Chana Dal to the food processor with a ¼ cup of water and puree until smooth. Add a little extra water if needed.
- Add the serrano pepper, lime juice, garlic, cilantro sugar and salt. Pulse to break down. Then add the remaining water and puree until smooth. Blend in the sugar and salt and pulse to mix. (Makes about 2 cups.)
- Using a veggie peeler, slice the zucchinis into long ribbons and place them in a serving bowl. Peel and slice the mango into thin strips. Slice the onion into thin slivers. Top the zucchini with mango and red onion and drizzle with green chutney.
NOTE: Green chutney can be used as a dipping sauce, and is great with chicken and pork.
Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 4
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 128 Calories
- Total Fat: 1.1g
- Saturated Fat: 0.2g
- Sodium: 608mg
- Carbohydrates: 28.8g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sugar: 19.4g
- Protein: 4.7g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Cruising with Kids: The Perfect Family Vacation Next Post
Sheet Pan Low Country Boil (Broil)