Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
Hot zesty Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe with creamy Tzatziki Sauce for dipping!
Depending on where you live, you have probably dusted off your grill for the season. If not, maybe today’s recipe will inspire you to do so!
Meat on a stick is a definite favorite at our house through the spring and summer months. I could grill chicken or steak and everyone would be satisfied. Yet for some reason, when I cut the protein up into little chunks and slide them onto skewers, they suddenly seem more exciting. Add a dipping sauce and I’ve got a meal my kids will beg for!
I have always loved traditional greek souvlaki. For those not familiar with the term, I’m speaking of simple meat-heavy greek kebabs, served in Greece as a fast-food lunch or dinner.
Pita bread is often served with the kebabs, so you have the option to slide them off the stick and make a sandwich.
However, I like to enjoy my Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe with a side of yogurt Tzatziki for dipping, and a big greek salad. That way, it’s a low carb veggie-packed dinner.
Today’s Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe is so simple to make. Even a souvlaki novice can achieve winning results with just a few quick tips.
Tips for Making a Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
When grilling kebabs on wooden or bamboo skewers, always soak the sticks for at least 30 minutes in water. Otherwise they will burn to ash on the hot grill.
Let the chicken marinate for 20-30 minutes as well, so the flavors soak in and the lemon juice tenderizes the chicken.
Adding extra lemon slices to the skewers, not only makes them look pretty, it helps keep the chicken extra moist on the grill.
Grill over medium heat. If you don’t happen to have a grill, a good grill pan will do the trick!
Finally, prepare a light creamy Tzatziki Sauce for dipping, using low fat yogurt, cucumber, lemon, and fresh dill.
Try serving this Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe with…
Greek Chicken Souvlaki Recipe
For the Chicken Souvlaki:
- Place 8-10 wooden skewers in a shallow pan of water to let them soak before grilling. It's best if they soak at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the chicken breasts into 1-inch pieces and place them in a large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice from one lemon. Add the olive oil, garlic, oregano, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper. Toss and let the chicken marinade for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a second bowl mix the ingredients for the Tzatziki Sauce. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir well, then place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Preheat the grill (or a grill pan) to medium heat. Slice the remaining lemons into thin rounds. Slide 7-8 pieces of chicken onto each skewer, with a folded lemon slice in between every 2 or 3 chunks. Once all the skewers are ready, grill the Chicken Souvlaki for 5 minutes per side, 10 minutes total. Be careful that the wooden skewers are not resting directly on the grill, or they will burn up.
- Break open one large chicken chunk to make sure they are cooked through. Then serve the Chicken Souvlaki with Tzatziki Sauce for dipping.