Spicy Sweet Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad with Newman’s Own® Honey Mustard Lite Dressing is a summer dinner salad that will make you feel like you’re on vacation, no matter where you enjoy it!
Whether we’re at home or off exploring, I want to feel like I’m on vacation from June through August. I do things all summer long to convince myself I’m on an extended holiday… I listen to reggae music, sip tiki drinks, wear my swimsuit under my clothes all day, and even cook meals that remind me of trips past. Please tell me I’m not the only one who does this.
It helps ease the pain of constant adult responsibilities as I watch my kids run free on their break from school. I try not to be jealous.
Cooking meals that remind the whole family of vacations we’ve taken together always creates smiles around the dinner table. I often make dishes that remind us of our trip to Italy last summer or our trip to Mexico last fall.
Yet best of all, I like to make summer dishes that remind us of island life. Fresh, healthy dishes loaded with tropical ingredients and spice.
Our “Summer of Salads” continues today with an island-inspired dinner salad, Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad with Newman’s Own Honey Mustard Lite Dressing.
This easy Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad is piled high with fresh greens, grilled red bell peppers, tangy sweet pineapple, cucumbers, and avocado. Then it’s topped with grilled jerk chicken marinated in a blend of island spices and smoky habanero peppers. Finally, the salad is drizzled with a zippy Newman’s Own Honey Mustard Lite Dressing that everybody loves!
Newman’s Own has a special contest going on this summer called “Greens for Good” Salad Recipe Contest and you can participate!
Since Paul Newman started his “All Profits To Charity” company Newman’s Own, the Newman’s Own Foundation have given more than $430 million to thousands of charities. Paul Newman believed that “From salad dressing, all blessings flow.”
Newman’s Own Green For Good Salad Recipe Contest invites you to showcase your favorite salad, using Newman’s Own Dressing, for an opportunity to direct a $35,000 donation to their charity of choice.
The Greens of Good Salad Recipe Contest is a perfect way to get your daily dose of healthy greens and make a huge impact on a charity you feel passionate about! Entries for this year’s Greens for Good Salad Recipe Contest run from June 23, 2015 to August 21, 2015. You can pop over today and submit a recipe!
On October 21, 2015, Newman’s Own will announce the $35,000 grand prize winner and charity, as well as nine runners-up, who will each direct $1,000 donations to their selected nonprofits. The top ten finalists will be posted online at NewmansOwn.com/GreensforGood for public voting to help determine the top nine finalists and the Grand Prize winners.
Want to enter your best salad? Click Here to Submit Your Recipe. Then stay tuned for updates!
Celebrate the season with salad. Start with our Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad and then make your own summer-inspired salad for Newman’s Own Greens for Good Salad Recipe Contest!
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Salad
Yield: 4 large servings
Prep Time:20 minutes (active time)
Cook Time:10 minutes
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2-4 habanero peppers, seeded
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut into rings
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- 1 english cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 ripe pineapple, cut into chunks
- 1 bottle Newman's Own Honey Mustard Lite Dressing
- For the Jamaican Jerk Chicken: Place all the ingredients, except the chicken, in the food processor and puree until smooth. (If you are sensitive to spicy heat, use only 1-2 habanero peppers.) Pour the marinade into a large zip bag and add the chicken. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least one hour, but up to 16 hours.
- When the chicken is ready to grill, preheat the grill to medium heat. Once hot, remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the grill. Grill for 5 minutes per side. Then allow the chicken to rest 5 minutes before cutting.
- Meanwhile, grill the red pepper rings for 1-2 minutes per side to soften.
- Once the chicken has rested, cut into strips. Arrange the romaine lettuce on a large platter, topped with grilled peppers, cucumbers, pineapple and avocado slices. Fan the chicken pieces over the top and drizzle with Newman's Own Honey Mustard Lite Dressing. Serve immediately.
Yield: 4 large servings, Serving Size: 4
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 604 Calories
- Total Fat: 34.1g
- Saturated Fat: 6.8g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Sodium: 1905mg
- Carbohydrates: 50.8g
- Fiber: 11.3g
- Sugar: 24.9g
- Protein: 26.9g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Newman’s Own All opinions are my own.