Italian Chicken Sausage and Roasted Fennel
One Pan Roasted Chicken Sausage with Fennel
One pan sausage and veggies are a classic dinner combination. A winning recipe can include sausage (made with just about any protein) and the sky’s the limit for vegetable choices. Simply toss them together with oil and spices, then oven bake to yummy golden perfection.
This Italian chicken sausage and roasted fennel recipe is a simple low-carb midweek meal, sheet pan style! It has quickly become a family favorite in our household thanks to the deep earthy flavors – and of course, I love it because of how wonderfully easy it is to prepare.
Roasted fennel, healthy chicken sausages, basil, and spice. That’s it! It’s delicious, satisfying, and ready to enjoy on its own or with low-carb sides in only one (nearly effortless) hour.
Ingredients You Need
- Italian chicken sausages – or other Italian sausages
- Fennel bulbs – fennel has an amazingly fresh, delicate licorice-like flavor
- Olive oil – or preferred high heat neutral flavored oil
- Spices – garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper
- Fresh basil leaves – to garnish, optional
How to Make Italian Chicken Sausage and Roasted Fennel
First, preheat the oven to 450°F and set out a large rimmed baking sheet.
Cut the stalks off each fennel bulb. Save the fronds (stalks) to make a bright pesto or sauce, throw them in salads, or use them to make soup stock!
Next, trim the root ends off as well. Then cut each bulb in half and gently cut out the core.
Cut the fennel bulb halves into strips from top to bottom. See the image below for clarification.
Spread the fennel slices onto the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder and smoked paprika. Toss well, then spread out into an even layer and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Place the fennel in the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cut the chicken sausages into long half-inch strips, on the bias.
Get the Complete (Printable) Low Carb Sheet Pan Italian Chicken Sausage with Roasted Fennel Recipe Below. Enjoy!
When the timer goes off, mix the chicken sausages in with the fennel. Then toss together and spread back out into an even layer.
Roast in the oven for another 10-15 minutes, until the Italian chicken sausage and fennel pieces are all golden brown.
Once out of the oven, mix in the fresh basil leaves.
Serve warm on its own as a one-pan dinner, or with your favorite Italian-inspired side dishes.
Frequently Asked Questions
To keep this a low-carb and gluten-free meal, pair with a fresh salad or other sauteed veggies. Or forget about carb counting and serve on warm sub rolls with spicy mustard!
For an even more comforting and carb-y dinner you can enjoy alongside creamy polenta, pasta, and/or homemade garlic knots.
This dish will serve 4-6, depending on desired portion size. If you are enjoying it as a complete one-pan chicken sausage and veggie meal it works well for 4 generous servings. You can easily serve 6 though if pairing with other sides or making sandwiches.
Leftovers are delicious! This sheet pan meal will keep well for up to 3-5 days. Let the Italian chicken sausage and roasted fennel cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. I recommend baking leftovers in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until reheated throughout.
Looking For More Low Carb Dinners? Be Sure To Also Try These Recipes:
- Low Carb Market Chicken Skillet
- Fennel Salad with Roasted Beets and Shaved Asparagus
- Roman Chicken with Peppers and Onions
- Healthy Caribbean Chicken Curry Sheet Pan Dinner
- Baked Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Chicken
Italian Chicken Sausage and Roasted Fennel (Low Carb)
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Set out a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Cut the stalks off each fennel bulb. Trim the root ends off as well. Then cut each bulb in half and gently cut out the core. Cut the fennel bulb halves into strips from top to bottom. (See images for clarification.)
- Spread the fennel slices onto the baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle with garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Toss well, then spread out into an even layer and generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place the fennel in the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the chicken sausages into long half-inch strips, on the bias.
- When the timer goes off, mix the chicken sausages in with the fennel. Then toss and spread back out into an even layer.
- Roast in the oven for another 10-15 minutes. Once out of the oven, mix in the fresh basil leaves and serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!