Spiced Apple Ice Cream
This homemade ice cream recipe is sooooo good with intense apple flavor from apple butter. Spiced Apple Ice Cream is the perfect accompaniment to cookies and cakes.
Homemade ice cream recipes are something I love playing with.
When you walk down the ice cream isle at your grocery store, there are cases and cases of ice cream tubs, but not that many flavor options.
Once you get past the standard chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, butter pecan, cookies and cream, and candy bar swirl varieties, what do you really have?
You certainly won’t find chocolate lavender ice cream or whiskey walnut…. Specialty ice cream flavors are something you’ll most likely have to make at home.
Learning how to make homemade ice cream, is much easier than you might think. There’s quite a bit of waiting around involved, but other than that, it’s simply whisk-simmer-churn.
This Spiced Apple Ice Cream is something I came up with to serve with my most recent cookie recipe, Cinnamon-Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies.
I thought, what better to go along with cinnamon and oats than intense spiced apple flavor!
I adjusted my favorite vanilla ice cream recipe to include Musselman’s Apple Butter. The richness and spice from Musselman’s Apple Butter was just the punch needed to turn this Spiced Apple Ice Cream into something spectacular.
It’s creamy and loaded with spice and that distinct apple butter flavor that reminds us of childhood.
I am in love with this Spiced Apple Ice Cream, and hope you will be too!
Ice Creams to Try:
Cheesecake Brownie Ice Cream ~ Journey Kitchen
Honey Almond Ice Cream ~ A Sweet Simple Life
Spice Apple Ice Cream
- Place a sauce pot over medium heat. Add the half & half, egg yolks, Musselman's Apple Butter, sugar, vanilla and salt. Whisk well.
- Continue to whisk as the mixture warms and thickens. Bring to a low boil and remove from heat.
- Place the lid on the pot and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or overnight. *If you're in a hurry, place in the freezer for 1 hour, but stir every twenty minutes. Don't forget about it!
- Turn on the ice cream machine. Place a sieve over the top to remove any egg clumps, and pour the ice cream mixture into the frozen ice cream bowl.
- Churn for 20+ minutes until thick like soft serve ice cream. Then scoop the Spice Apple Ice Cream into an airtight container and freeze to harden.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!