3-Ingredient Cherry Limeade
Why We Love This Copycat Recipe
Love those drive-in cherry limeades? Now you can have one whenever you want… without leaving the house!
It is unbelievably easy to make a sweet, tangy, bubbly, and totally refreshing summertime drink in mere minutes with only 3 ingredients: Soda, lime, and maraschino cherries. The taste is practically identical to the classic Sonic restaurant version but, is ready to enjoy in less time than it takes to get the AC going in the car.
This Cherry Limeade recipe is great to make with the kids all summer long. Or add a splash of vodka or rum for a grown-up beverage.
3 Ingredients You Need
- Lemon-lime soda – like 7Up or Sprite
- Maraschino cherries and juice – or maraschino cherries and grenadine
- Lime juice – freshly squeezed lime juice is best + lime to slice and use to garnish each drink
And of course, don’t forget the ice! Use your choice of cubed ice or crushed ice.
How to Make a (Better Than Sonic!) Cherry Limeade
First, fill a high ball glass or tumbler half full with ice. (Crushed ice is best to recreate the classic Sonic drive-in feel.)
Then pour in the fresh lime juice.
Next add the cherry juice or grenadine.
Get the Complete (Printable) Recipe for Homemade Cherry Limeades Below. Enjoy!
Lastly, pour in the lemon-lime soda. Give the drink a stir and garnish with slices of lime and a few maraschino cherries.
Make this Cherry Limeade Recipe with Vodka (or Rum!)
Give your summertime drink a 21+ kick with vodka or white rum! There is basically no limit to the different flavors of alcohol that you can purchase… Lime-flavored vodka or rum are both yummy options that perfectly compliment the sweet citrus taste of a Sonic cherry limeade.
To each beverage add 1-2 ounces of your preferred alcohol before you pour in the lemon-lime soda.
For an even bigger party-time vibe, soak the maraschino cherries in your choice of vodka or rum for at least 24 hours (up to 72 hours) before you add them to the drinks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you make limeades without soda?
You can, but they will obviously not be fizzy without a carbonated beverage as the base. Substitute the lemon-lime soda with pure cherry juice or water sweetened to taste with simple syrup.
Is cherry limeade good for you?
Let’s be honest: Soda drinks are never “good” for you. However, the ingredients in this recipe are relatively simple. And there is no caffeine in this cherry limeade recipe inspired by the Sonic drink!
How do you make a diet cherry limeade?
Use diet 7UP, diet Sprite, or other diet lemon-lime soda you prefer for a low-calorie and low-sugar drink.
What other Sonic limeade flavors can you make at home?
Do not just stop at the cherry limeades! It is easy to make other flavors of Sonic, like strawberry, cranberry, or plain limeade.
For a strawberry limeade, use strawberry syrup and fresh sliced berries. Make a cranberry limeade by using a splash of cranberry juice and whole tart berries. Or enjoy a simple yet refreshing super lime limeade made with more lime juice and sliced limes!
Looking for More Summertime Drink Recipes?
- How to Make Agua Fresca
- Chik-Fil-A Frosted Lemonade
- Cucumber Ginger Mint Agua Fresca
- Pineapple Sugarcane Water
- Easiest Healthy Watermelon Smoothie
3-Ingredient Cherry Limeade (Sonic Recipe Copycat)
- 6 ounces lemon-lime soda like 7 Up or Sprite
- 1 ½ – 2 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice + 2-3 cherries for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Optional: pinch of salt lime slices or wedges
- Fill a high ball glass or tumbler half full with ice.
- Pour in 6 ounces of lemon-lime soda, 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons of cherry juice from the maraschino cherry jar, and 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lime juice. Stir well.
- Garnish with a few maraschino cherries from the jar. For a slightly fancier version, stir in a pinch of salt (to intensify the flavors) and lime slices/wedges.