Supreme Pizza Baked Ziti Recipe
Two family favorites rolled into one, Supreme Pizza Baked Ziti Recipe. This cozy, hearty dish is just the thing to draw your family to the dinner table!
There are days when only a robust pasta dish will do for dinner.
We’ve had a few of those days lately. Whether its a rough day at work or a troublesome test day at school, a cozy pasta dish always makes the cares of the day seem a little less problematic.
Our most recent comforting cure-all pasta dish is a pan of cheesy goodness we call our Supreme Pizza Baked Ziti Recipe.
Actually, it’s a baked penne recipe if we’re being technical. Ziti and penne are so similar, you could use either one. Penne typically has pointed ends while ziti has flat ends. Also penne usually has ridges to hold onto the sauce. I prefer DeLallo Organic Pasta and used their whole wheat penne for this recipe because is has a nice hearty texture and extra nutritional value.
It’s called a Supreme Pizza Baked Ziti Recipe because it contains all the standard components of a supreme pizza: tomato sauce, pepperoni, italian sausage, bell peppers, onion, garlic, and olives.
These ingredients are mixed with a pound of partially cooked DeLallo Organic Whole Wheat Penne Rigate, then poured into a baking dish, covered with cheese, and popped into the oven.
The oven time allows the pasta to finish cooking in the sauce while the cheese oozes down into the pasta.
It’s a beautiful thing.
Note, I also used DeLallo Pomodoro Fresco Sauce (and olives) in this recipe because it’s so fresh and flavorful, it tastes like homemade sauce.
This takes out the unnecessary step of making your own marinara prior to making the Supreme Pizza Bake Ziti Recipe. Less steps, less stress.
I tell myself our Supreme Pizza Baked Ziti Recipe is healthier than serving classic supreme pizza because of the whole wheat pasta, and the fact that we’re using less cheese per serving.
Plus I would choose pasta over pizza any day of the week.
Our family Supreme Pizza Baked Ziti Recipe is a great addition to the weekly menu this fall.
It’s easy to put together, loaded with zesty flavor, and ridiculously inviting.
If your family is anything like mine, this recipe will come in handy on days your dinners need a little extra comfort.
Pasta + Pizza is a sure-fire pick me up!
Supreme Pizza Baked Ziti Recipe
- 1 pound Italian pork sausage
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 1 bell pepper seeded and chopped (any color)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound DeLallo Organic Whole Wheat Penne Rigate
- 3 ounces pepperoni slices cut into strips
- 3.8 ounces DeLallo Sliced Black Olives
- 25 ounces DeLallo Pomodoro Fresco Marinara or Tomato Basil or Roasted Garlic Sauce
- 2 1/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the Italian sausage in a large skillet over medium heat and saute for 5 minutes to brown. Break it into pieces with a wooden spoon. Once mostly cooked, push the sausage to the edge of the skillet and add the chopped, onion, pepper, and garlic. Saute another 3-4 minutes. Then mix in the sausage and remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Once boiling add the DeLallo Organic Whole Wheat Penne to the pot and stir to separate. Cook the pasta for 5-6 minutes, until mostly cooked, but still firm. Drain the pasta in a colander.
- Pour the marinara sauce into the pasta pot. Dump the drained pasta back into the pot and mix in the cooked sausage and veggies, along with the sliced pepperoni and olives. Mix well.
- Dump the pasta into a 9x13-inch baking dish and spread evenly in the pan. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over the top and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Serve warm.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: The post is sponsored by DeLallo Foods. All pasta-loving opinions are my own.
Pingback: Weekly Meal Plan - The Cookie Rookie
Pingback: Easy Weekly Meal Plan #83 - Sweet C's Designs
Pingback: WEEKLY MEAL PLAN (WEEK 83) - Diethood
Pingback: Weekly Meal Plan #84 - LemonsforLulu.com
Pingback: Weekly Meal Plan - Pass The Sushi
Pingback: Easy Meal Plan Week 83 - Foodie With Family
Pingback: Weekly Meal Plan Week 83 - Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
If you would like to add some spicy flavor… Let me recommend you the mango habanero salsa from Spicy Adama… you can find them on www.spicyadama.com
This is dinner perfection! My boys would love it!
Mix and match dinner favorites are the best!
This looks like comfort food at its finest! I’m sure it would be a hit in my house, we go nuts for anything pizza or pasta related!
cozy pasta dishes are a serious win! and I’ll take pizza in every form I can get!
Ooooh yum. Such a fun and creative weeknight meal!
rare amazing baked ziti recipe, great healty dinner
Great ziti recipe…..my kids will LOVE it!
Loving all that gooey cheese on top!
Would it be wrong to ask for a plate of this for breakfast? I love ziti and this recipe look too-legit-to quit!
Great weeknight dinner idea!!!
I love their whole wheat organic pasta! What a yummy dish. Pasta gets a bad rep lately, but we eat it at least once a week.
I’ve been waiting for the perfect baked ziti (or penne!) recipe, and I think I’ve finally found it! Pure comfort food!