Craving Asian flavors? Try our bold Low Carb Slow Cooker Orange Chicken this week!
It’s easy to derail your diet by seemingly healthy foods.
Asian cuisine is always the culprit for me. Yes, there are plenty of Asian dishes that are easy on the waistline. However, if I’ve been limiting my carbs and sugar, it’s the fatty classics like szechuan beef, sesame chicken, and fried rice that start calling my name.
Today I’m sharing a cleaned-up version of a traditional Chinese restaurant favorite so you can satisfy your Asian takeout cravings while sticking to your diet… And I made it in the crockpot!
The slow cooker makes it possible to start dinner and move on to other activities. Then when it’s time to eat, you’ll sit down to a cozy aromatic meal that is not only low carb, but can be made gluten free and paleo.
Low Carb Slow Cooker Orange Chicken is my new favorite thing. It tastes decadent and naughty, yet is guilt-free!
I started with boneless skinless chicken thighs. Then whisked together a quick sauce made with orange juice and zest, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce.
All you have to do is place the chicken in a slow cooker, pour the sauce over the top, and press start. As the chicken cooks, it thickens the sauce into an easy savory-sweet gravy with tons of wow factor.
You can serve Low Carb Slow Cooker Orange Chicken with rice, quinoa, or even cauliflower rice for a complete low carb meal!
Check Out Our Other Health-ified Asian Dishes:
Low Carb Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep Time:10 minutes
Cook Time:2+ hours
A healthy Asian recipe that is paleo diet friendly! Low Carb Slow Cooker Orange Chicken is a fabulous dinner your family will love!
- 3 pounds boneless chicken thighs
- 3 – 4 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder (or corn starch)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger, packed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 1-2 dashes crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Cut the chicken thighs into small bite-size pieces. Place the pieces in the crock of a large slow cooker.
- In a large mixing bowl combine 3 cups orange juice, soy sauce, sugar, arrowroot, vinegar, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, orange zest, and crushed red pepper. Whisk well to remove clumps.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken and toss to coat. Then turn the slow cooker on low and cook for 3 – 4 hours, or cook on high for 1 1/2 – 2 hours. If the sauce seems to thick, add additional orange juice to loosen it up. Serve with rice, or with cauliflower rice for a complete low carb meal!
NOTES: You can enhance the orange color if desired by adding a few drops of orange food coloring. For a completely gluten free and paleo version, substitute apple cider vinegar for the rice vinegar, and coconut aminos for the soy sauce.
Yield: 8-10 servings, Serving Size: 10
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 387 Calories
- Total Fat: 22.9g
- Saturated Fat: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 114mg
- Sodium: 822mg
- Carbohydrates: 17.3g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Sugar: 11.3g
- Protein: 25.8g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!