Savory Breakfast Corn Cakes with Avocado Cream sauce. These pancakes take breakfast to a new level of goodness.
Sigh… the word itself makes me smile.
In our house, Lt. Dan is usually the head chef for breakfast. I’m in such a daze in the morning, an apple will subside, but not for Dan. He wants a full scale breakfast of eggs, bacon, hash browns, and pancakes.
Usually he settles for a self-made scrambled egg bowl topped with guacamole, salsa, and cilantro. However, on the weekends I appease him by making a big hearty breakfast fit for a king.
I love making pancakes, but can’t always handle the sugary syrup first thing in the morning. That’s where savory pancakes come in.
Who says pancakes have to be sweet? What better complement to cheesy scrambled eggs and crispy strips of bacon than a stack of buttery savory corn cakes?
Today’s savory corn cakes are accompanied by a cool avocado cream made with Wholly Guacamole. Have you tried this stuff? So. Good.
Wholly Guacamole makes the absolute best prepackaged guacamole, from fresh hass avocados and all natural ingredients. They never add preservatives to keep the guacamole from browning. Instead they use a special high pressure packaging process so the guacamole stays airtight.
I love homemade guacamole, but Wholly Guacamole is so fresh and tasty, and so convenient to keep around.
I added fresh lime zest to the corn cake batter to accentuate the corn flavor (like in good quality tortilla chips.) Then I mixed Wholly Guacamole with sour cream to make a cool savory avocado cream sauce to top the corn cakes.
This is such a simple, but divine combination.
I could eat these every single day… Suddenly I feel inspired to make breakfast more than once a week!
Corn Cakes with Avocado Cream
Yield: 12 pancakes
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
Corn Cakes with Avocado Cream – Tender buttery corn cakes are a wonderful addition to a hearty breakfast, topped with silky avocado cream.
For the Corn Cakes:
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (yellow or white)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder (or paprika)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter + extra butter for the griddle
For the Avocado Cream:
- 7 ounce package Wholly Guacamole (or 1 cup smashed avocado)
- 1 cup sour cream
- For the Avocado Cream: Place both ingredients in the blender. Puree until smooth, and set aside.
- Preheat a griddle (or large skillet) to medium heat. Then mix the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, garlic powder and chile powder together in a large bowl. Whisk in the milk, eggs, and melted butter until smooth.
- Butter the griddle. Using a 1/4 cup scoop, ladle the corn cake mixture onto the hot griddle. Cook for 3-4 minutes per side. Flip when bubbles form on the top of the corn cakes. Repeat with the remaining corn cake batter.
- Serve warm with a generous dollop of avocado cream.
Yield: 12 pancakes, Serving Size: 3 pancakes
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 638 Calories
- Total Fat: 36.1g
- Saturated Fat: 17g
- Cholesterol: 147mg
- Sodium: 766mg
- Carbohydrates: 68g
- Fiber: 6.9g
- Sugar: 4.5g
- Protein: 15.2g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
More Savory Breakfast Recipes
BLAT Omelett Wrap ~ Diethood
Poached Egg with Sautéed Spinach and Mushrooms ~ Tartelette
Cheddar Chive Popovers ~ What’s Gaby Cooking
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Wholly Guacamole. All avocado-loving opinions are my own.