Irish Beer Cheese Soup
Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep Time:5 minutes
Cook Time:15 minutes
Creamy Irish Beer Cheese Soup for Saint Patrick’s Day! This easy beer cheese soup recipe is rich and alluring, with only a handful of necessary ingredients.
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter (or bacon grease)
- 2 – 12 ounce bottles Harp Irish Style Lager
- 32 ounce chicken broth
- 14 ounces Irish cheese, shredded (Dubliner, Irish Cheddar, Skellig, etc.)
- 14 ounces low fat cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or arrow root powder)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Garnishes: crumbled bacon and chive
- Set a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add the butter, onions, and garlic, and sauté for 3-5 minutes. Scoop the softened onions into the food processor (or blender) and add one cup chicken broth. Puree the onions and broth until completely smooth.
- Pour the onion mixture back into the sauce pot, and add the remaining broth and both bottles of beer. Bring to a boil.
- Toss the shredded Irish cheese with corn starch. Add the shredded cheese, cream cheese, and dijon mustard to the broth. Whisk to melt the cheese and break up the cream cheese cubes. Whisk until the soup is completely smooth and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Taste, then salt and pepper as needed. Serve as-is, or garnish with bacon and chive if desired.
NOTES: The beer broth will foam up quite a bit when boiling. Make sure to use a large pot, so it doesn’t boil over.
Yield: 8-10 servings, Serving Size: 1/10th recipe
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 596 Calories
- Total Fat: 14.9g
- Saturated Fat: 8.3g
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- Sodium: 835mg
- Carbohydrates: 39.2g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sugar: 1.1g
- Protein: 20.1g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!
PAGE: 1 2
Healthy Chicken Cacciatore Soup Next Post
Irish Soda Bread with Cherries and Granola Top