German Potato Salad Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This warm and cozy German Potato Salad Recipe is infused with bacon, onions, and a touch of mustard, creating a delicious blend of sweet, tangy and smoky flavors!
Comforting German Potato Salad
The first time I ever tasted german style potato salad was at an Octoberfest street fair years ago. As I walked down the street I smelled an intoxicating aroma of bacon mixed with something tangy.
The fragrance seemed to pull me toward a large cast iron kettle filled to the brim with potatoes, onions, and bacon. I asked the attendant for a serving of whatever-that-is, and she genuinely seemed concerned that I was unfamiliar with german potato salad.
Never had I tasted potato salad that was so rich and tangy with a hint of sweetness… Plus it was warm, not cold, like the potato salads I was used to.
Although I love making classic chilled potato salads through the spring and summer, the moment the kids are back in school I immediately switch over to this classic German Potato Salad Recipe loaded with crispy bacon, sweet onions, fresh parsley, and tons of tang!
In my German Potato Salad Recipe I like to use the multicolored new potatoes you find in 1-2 pound bags in the produce department. However, you can use any type of new potato you like.
How to Make German Potato Salad
To make this German Potato Salad Recipe start by boiling the potatoes until fork-tender. Then chop them into bite-size pieces.
Meanwhile, sizzle the bacon in a large saute pan or deep skillet. Pour off some of the bacon grease, and cook the onion with the bacon until soft and golden.
Whisk apple cider vinegar, water, whole grain dijon mustard, and sugar to make the tangy dressing. Then toss it with the chopped potatoes and parsley. You’ll have a warm comforting potato salad the whole family with love!
I could honestly eat this classic German potato salad on its own, but you can serve it along with so many other meal options, too! Try pairing it as a side dish with some of my other favorite recipes like:
- Maple Mustard Chicken
- Oven “Fried” Turkey Breasts
- Apple Stuffed Baked Ham
- Grilled Pork Chops with Carolina BBQ Sauce
- Slow Cooker Spiced Apples
- The Best Broccoli Salad
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts Gratin
German Potato Salad Recipe
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of water. Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cook until fork-tender, about 6-10 minutes. Then drain off the water. Chop the soft potatoes into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, place the bacon in a large saute pan. Set over medium heat and cook until the bacon is red-brown. Then pour off half the bacon grease and add the onions. Saute until the onions are soft and starting to caramelize around the edges.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup of water, Dijon mustard, and sugar. Whisk to combine. Then pour the chopped potatoes into the pan. Toss well to coat. Taste, then season with salt and pepper as needed. Toss in the fresh parsley and serve warm!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!