Crunchy Beet Carrot Slaw, a colorful healthy side dish you can feel good about serving!
Beets… You either love them or think they taste like dirt.
I fall in the “love them” camp and eat them as often as possible.
The most common way to enjoy beets is to roast them, so they have a soft interior, yet are crispy around the edges. Pickling beets is also a popular preparation method. However in the last few years, I’ve found I really love the taste and texture of raw beets.
Not only do you reserve all the nutrients by not cooking the beets, the firm carrot-like texture holds up well in salads and slaws. Even when made several days ahead!
Today’s Crunchy Beet Carrot Slaw is gluten free, vegetarian, and so good for you. It’s made with shredded raw beets, carrots, fresh mint leaves, golden raisins, and toasted almonds.
The shredded beets and carrots create the base of the slaw, while the mint, raisins and almonds provide bold flavor and crunch.
Toss the ingredients with a simple dressing seasoned with cumin, garlic, and ginger. Then serve the slaw right away, or refrigerate it for later.
Crunchy Beet Carrot Slaw is a great way to introduce beets to beet-newbies.
The vibrant flavor combination accentuates the earthy essence of the beets, truly making them shine!
Check out our video tutorial below!
Crunchy Beet Carrot Slaw
- 3 beets
- 3 large carrots
- 30 fresh chopped mint leaves, about 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup sultanas (golden raisins)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey (agave for vegan)
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the beet and carrots well. If the skin looks smooth and clean, leave it on. If it looks rough and dry, peel it off. Shred the beets and carrots and place in a salad bowl.
- Toast the almonds over medium heat in a small dry skillet. Then pour them on a paper towel to cool. Add the chopped mint and sultanas to the salad bowl. Add the almonds once they are cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together the oil, vinegar, honey, ginger, garlic, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper. Pour over the slaw and toss well. Taste, then season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.