Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe (CrockPot Taco Meat)
2-Ingredient Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe (CrockPot Taco Meat) – Make fabulous (and healthy) slow cooker Chicken Tacos with just two simple items. A set it and forget it recipe, and bonus, we’re offering Instant Pot instructions as well.
Crockpot Taco Meat
Slow Cooker Taco Meat Recipes have been around for a long time… I am not the first or the last person to ever post a recipe for slow cooker tacos on the web.
However, mine is a little different because it includes shredded chicken instead of beef. I love this simple 2-ingredient version so much, I thought it was worth sharing.
Years ago, I had a friend who used to make shredded taco chicken in the crockpot. She would add chicken, a taco seasoning packet, green chiles, some broth, and fresh cilantro to a slow cooker, then let it simmer all day long.
Later she would shred the chicken and lay out taco fixings. A simple crowd-pleasing dinner, large enough to feed a group!
2-Ingredient Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe
Using a taco seasoning packet is a good way to season taco chicken, yet we’ve discovered we love the flavor even better when the chicken simmers in tantalizing salsa verde all day.
2-Ingredient Crockpot Taco Chicken is essentially that…
- Salsa Verde
Just dump both in the slow cooker, turn it on, and let it work its magic!
Let’s break down what the salsa verde does for the chicken… The tang of tomatillos and lime, mixed with a spicy kick from jalapeños and green chiles, makes the chicken taste especially fresh and zesty.
You are going to love this!
How To Make Taco Meat In the Crock Pot
- Turn a 6-quart slow cooker on low.
- Pour a jar of salsa verde in the bottom of the crock. Place chicken breasts in the salsa verde. Sprinkle salt over the top. Then pour the remaining jar of salsa verde over the chicken.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 hours. (Or 3-4 hours on high.)
- Once cooked through, remove the chicken from the crock. Use two forks to shred the chicken. Stir the shredded chicken back into the salsa verde.
- Turn the slow cooker on warm until ready to serve.
Voila! Beautiful taco meat for any occasion!
Get the Full Printable Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe (Crockpot Taco Meat Recipe)+ Video Below. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Brand of Salsa Verde is Good to Use for This Recipe?
Personally, I like the brands Frontera, Stonewall Kitchen, Mrs. Renfro’s. and Xochitl. If you can’t find any of these, just look for a salsa verde that is chunky with a deep green color.
I also have a salsa verde recipe you can make from scratch, if you feel so inclined or can’t find any salsa verde at your grocery store. Here is the link!
What Do You Top The Tacos With?
In this recipe, I used guacamole, queso fresco, and pico de gallo to finish off my tacos.
Instant Pot Instructions: Can I Make Chicken Taco Meat In the Instant Pot?
Yes! If you’d prefer to use your Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker) that’s totally fine. Plus, it takes only 15 minutes of actual cook time.
- Place the chicken breasts and salsa verde in the Instant Pot.
- Set on Pressure Cook High for 15 minutes.
- Perform a Natural Release.
How To Make Taco Meat – Healthy
We use this Crockpot Chicken Taco Meat recipe as a clean-eating staple in our house.
Whenever we are trying to cut carbs, fat, or gluten, I make a big batch of this 2-Ingredient Crockpot Taco Meat Recipe and we use it on salads all week.
Yet if you are not trying to cut anything out of your diet, pile this Taco Meat into taco shells, on nachos, wrap in burritos or use it in quesadillas.
The possibilities are endless… And yummy!
Serve Crock Pot Taco Meat on Salads, in Wraps, and of course in Tacos!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- Fresh Zesty Guacamole Recipe
- Best Slow Cooker Carnitas Recipe
- Quick-Seared Carne Asada Recipe
- The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 3-Ingredient Magic Taco Dip Recipe
- Chicken Tinga Tacos Recipe (Instant Pot & Stovetop)
- Zesty Ground Turkey Tacos Recipe (or Ground Chicken Tacos)
- Crazy-Good Baja Fish Tacos Recipe (with Fish Taco Sauce and Slaw)
- Ultimate Dorito Taco Salad Recipe
- Retro Taco Pizza Recipe (Layered Taco Dip)
- Buffalo Ahi Tuna Tacos Recipe
- Best Ever Cheese Enchiladas Recipe from House of Yumm!
Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe (CrockPot Taco Meat)
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 32 ounces salsa verde (two 16-ounce jars)
- Turn a 6-quart slow cooker on low. Pour one jar of salsa verde in the bottom of the crock. Place chicken breasts in the salsa verde. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt over the top. Then pour the remaining jar of salsa verde over the chicken.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low. (3-4 hours on high.) Once cooked through, remove the chicken from the crock.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken. Stir the shredded chicken back into the salsa verde. Turn the slow cooker on warm until ready to serve.
- Place the chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, and pour the salsa verde over the top.
- Lock the lid into place, and set on Pressure Cook High for 15 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, perform a Natural Release.
- Open the pot and shred the chicken!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
I do something similar with my instapot chicken for tacos. I love the salsa verde and sometime throw in a bit bigger peppers/chilis as well.
These Salsa Verde tacos were perfection. The flavor was perfect; I love a good easy crockpot meal.
This simple recipe is on the menu often! I’ve been adding about a 1/2 cup of red enchilada sauce to mix it up a bit. So good!
This turned out amazing and since we made a double batch, we ate on it for days!!! Thank you!
This is one of the easiest recipes to make meat for tacos! I am going to be doing this more often! thank you!
I’ve been doing this for years. Also, After removing the chicken I pour some of the verde from the crock pot in a pan and add hominy. It soaks up the flavor and creates a side dish that is a bit different than rice but so good!
This meat is amazing! I love how easy it is to make and that I can make it in the crock pot.
We all love this recipe so much! So easy and seriously delicious!
Nothing can beat a 2-ingredient recipe that is this delicious. SO GOOD!
I loved how easy it was to make! SO good!
Made this for taco tuesday today and it was fabulous! Will make again!
This chicken makes the BEST tacos!! So good!
Love an easy dinner! Makes life so much better.
What all did you put on your tacos?
The taco in the images have guacamole, queso fresco, and pico de gallo. :)
This is one of my favorites for Taco Tuesday! It’s so easy and delicious.
Oh, my gosh, this is genius! My family loved the taste and I loved the ease of the recipe.
I am saving this recipe to make for my family this weekend!
I always love finding new crockpot chicken taco recipes!
I love this! Such an easy meal for weeknights!
This recipe is so perfect for busy weeknights! THANK YOU for sharing!
This is so easy and great for tacos and anything else during the week!
I took your recipe, added chicken broth and it became a delightful soup. I served it with fresh onion, tomato and sour cream on the side. Served hot it’s a comforting meal, served cold in the summer it’s a beat the heat treat.
Just made and very good. Definitely worth making. Not going to post how good it looks without making and trying. Did make my own salsa verde.
Pingback: Two Week Meal Prep in 4 hours – The Powell's Corner
I actually CANNOT believe a recipe with only two ingredients could look so darn good!
A great and easy weeknight meal!
Love the look of those tacos!
Just wondering…what brand of salsa verde would be considered “good” as I am not familiar with any salsa verde products. I am very eager to try this simple recipe. Thanks.
Personally, I like the brands Frontera, Stonewall Kitchen, Mrs. Renfro’s. and XoChilt. If you can’t find any of these, just look for a salsa verde that is chunky with a deep green color.