2-Ingredient Crock Pot Taco Meat
2-Ingredient Crock Pot Taco Meat Recipe: Make fabulous (and healthy) slow cooker Chicken Tacos with just two simple items. A set it and forget it recipe, enjoy! Bonus, we’re offering Instant Pot instructions as well.
Crockpot Taco Meat
Slow Cooker Taco Meat Recipes have been around for a long time… I am not the first or the last person to ever post a recipe for slow cooker taco meat on the web.
However, mine is a little different because it includes shredded chicken instead of beef. I love this simple 2-ingredient version so much, I thought it was worth sharing.
Years ago, I had a friend who used to make shredded taco chicken in the crockpot. She would add chicken, a taco seasoning packet, some broth, and fresh cilantro to a slow cooker, then let it simmer all day long.
Later she would shred the chicken and layout taco fixings. A simple crowd-pleasing dinner, large enough to feed a group!
2-Ingredient Taco Meat Recipe
Using a taco seasoning packet is a good way to season taco chicken, yet we’ve discovered we love the flavor even better when the chicken simmers in tantalizing salsa verde all day.
2-Ingredient Crockpot Taco Chicken is essentially that… Chicken + Salsa Verde.
Just dump both in the slow cooker, turn it on, and let it work its magic!
Let’s break down what the salsa verde does for the chicken… The tang of tomatillos and lime, mixed with a spicy kick from jalapeños, makes the chicken taste especially fresh and zesty.
You are going to love this!
How To Make Taco Meat In the Crock Pot
- Turn a 6-quart slow cooker on low.
- Pour a jar of salsa verde in the bottom of the crock. Place chicken breasts in the salsa verde. Sprinkle salt over the top. Then pour the remaining jar of salsa verde over the chicken.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 hours. (3-4 hours on high.)
- Once cooked through, remove the chicken from the crock. Use two forks to shred the chicken. Stir the shredded chicken back into the salsa verde.
- Turn the slow cooker on warm until ready to serve.
- Voila! Beautiful taco meat for any occasion!
Get the Full (Printable) Slow Cooker Taco Chicken Recipe Below
What Brand of Salsa Verde is Good to Use for This Recipe?
Personally, I like the brands Frontera, Stonewall Kitchen, Mrs. Renfro’s. and XoChilt. If you can’t find any of these, just look for a salsa verde that is chunky with a deep green color.
I also have a salsa verde recipe you can make from scratch, if you feel so inclined or can’t find any salsa verde at your grocery store. Here is the link!
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos: Can I Make Chicken Taco Meat In the Instant Pot?
Yes! If you’d prefer to use your Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker) that’s totally fine. Plus, it takes only 15 minutes of actual cook time.
- Place the chicken breasts and salsa verde in the Instant Pot.
- Set on Pressure Cook High for 15 minutes.
- Perform a Natural Release.
How To Use Healthy Taco Meat
We use this Crockpot Chicken Taco Meat recipe as a clean-eating staple in our house.
Whenever we are trying to cut carbs, fat, or gluten, I make a big batch of this 2-Ingredient Crockpot Taco Meat Recipe and we use it on salads all week.
Yet if you are not trying to cut anything out of your diet, pile this Taco Meat into taco shells, on nachos, wrap in burritos or use it in quesadillas.
The possibilities are endless… And yummy!
Serve Crock Pot Taco Meat on Salads, in Wraps, and of course in Tacos!
other recipes you might like:
- Fresh Zesty Guacamole
- Best Slow Cooker Carnitas
- Quick-Seared Carne Asada Recipe
- The Best Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Best Ever Cheese Enchiladas from House of Yumm!
2-Ingredient Crock Pot Taco Meat Recipe
- 2 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 32 ounces salsa verde (two 16-ounce jars)
- Turn a 6-quart slow cooker on low. Pour one jar of salsa verde in the bottom of the crock. Place chicken breasts in the salsa verde. Sprinkle 1/2 teaspoon salt over the top. Then pour the remaining jar of salsa verde over the chicken.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 hours. (3-4 hours on high.) Once cooked through, remove the chicken from the crock.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken. Stir the shredded chicken back into the salsa verde. Turn the slow cooker on warm until ready to serve.
- Place the chicken breasts n the Instant Pot, and pour the salsa verde over the top.
- Lock the lid into place, and set on Pressure Cook High for 15 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, perform a Natural Release.
- Open the pot and shred the chicken!
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!