Grilling doesn’t have to be the same-old same-old all the time. How about pulling steaming hot Thai Satay off the grill this summer and dunking them heartily in Peanut Dipping Sauce? Our Thai Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce are a lovely departure from boring hotdogs and hamburgers.
Have you noticed our outlook on life in different in the summer?
Relaxed, peaceful, less aggressive, not in a hurry, more focused on family and making memories. I like the summertime me.
Although I wish I could stay this harmonious all year long, I think the transformation in attitude is part of what makes summer special.
Grilling is an extension of this tranquil mindset. It’s a no-fuss, take-your-time way of cooking. Grilling makes me feel like I’m on vacation even when I’m standing in my own backyard.
I love dabbling around the deck, with tongs in one hand, beverage in the other, watching the kids kick the soccer ball across the yard. I love rocking under the sun umbrella with my sweet hubby, as a smoky mesquite cloud wafts over our heads, reminding us of the good things to come.
Grilling is happiness.
One thing I love to do with my grill, is prepare dishes that are an escape from the mundane. Here I’ve made a vibrant Thai Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce. The chicken satay skewers soak in a rich marinade of coconut milk and spices, that develops a bright and earthy skin when grilled.
The spicy peanut sauce is rich and creamy with a pop of heat from the chile-garlic sauce. It’s perfect for dipping Thai satay… and for dipping your fingers.
Thai Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce is truly one of my favorite dishes. I always hope there will be a little peanut sauce leftover to eat with veggies the next day!
Thai Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce
Yield: 4 servings
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Grilled chicken satay skewers with sweet and spicy peanut sauce
For the chicken satay:
- 1-1 ½ pounds chicken tenders
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Wooden Skewers, soaked
For the Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- ½ cup peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon chile-garlic sauce (optional)
- Combine the coconut milk, brown sugar, fish sauce and spices in a large zip lock bag. Shake and add the chicken tenders. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Soak the skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to direct medium heat. Weave each tender onto a skewer and lay on a foil-covered cookie sheet.
- Grill the Thai chicken satay for 3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, puree all the ingredients for the peanut sauce in the blender and set aside.
- Serve the chicken satay skewers over jasmine rice with spicy peanut sauce for dipping.
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!