Our Classic Stromboli Recipe is the mother of all comfort dishes. Bold and cheesy with a yeasty crust.
The brisk wind whipped leaves around my ankles as I pushed open the door of a small Italian cafe. The aromas of garlic and yeast mingled with sugar and coffee, brought on a strange sensation of both exhilaration and ease.
I swept my disheveled hair out of my face, sat down at a table, and focused on the deli case. What would it be today? Panini? A cannoli? Thumbprint cookies maybe?
Then I saw something that captured my attention. A loaf, of sorts, obviously stuffed with filling. But this was no pastry or hand pie. This was enormous and inviting with a hearty crust. Just the kind of thing to nosh on a chilly day.
I walked up to the counter and waited my turn. When asked what I would like to order I answered, “May I ask what that is?”
“What is inside of it?”
“Everrrrything wonderful” she replied.
That was all I needed to know. I bought the entire Stromboli loaf, ate two warm slices there in the cafe, then took the rest home to share with my roommates. Thus begun my love-affair with Stromboli.
Luckily, it doesn’t have to be 20 degrees outside to enjoy a hearty Stromboli Recipe. This classic stromboli recipe makes a large golden loaf that is perfect to take on picnics or to a party.
When sliced, the lovely swirling pieces relieve a little bit of “everything wonderful”… Italian sausage, artichoke hearts, tender basil leaves, green olives, molten cheese, and zesty marinara.
How to make our Classic Stromboli Recipe
- Roll out the dough on a piece of parchment paper, into a 11 X 15 inch rectangle.
- Layer the dough with toppings.
- Then gently roll into a log with the seam facing down.
- Brush with melted butter and bake!
Easy enough, right?
You’ve got this!
Our Classic Stromboli Recipe is a fabulous party snack or mid-week meal.
Classic Stromboli Recipe
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time:15 minutes
Cook Time:30 minutes
Italian Stromboli loaf with artichokes, olives, sausage, and Red Pepper Marinara. Our Classic Stromboli Recipe is the mother of all comfort dishes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Roll out the pizza dough on a piece of parchment paper, into an 11 X 15 inch rectangle.
- Spread 1/2 cup marinara over the dough, leaving a 2 inch border around all sides.
- Top the marinara with fresh basil leaves. Layer the sausage, olives, artichokes and cheese over the basil leaves.
- Then lifting the parchment paper, gently roll one short end toward the other short end, creating a log with the seam facing down.
- Brush the loaf with melted butter, then sprinkle with pepper. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. Allow the stromboli to rest 10 minutes before slicing.
Yield: 12 servings, Serving Size: 12
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 326 Calories
- Total Fat: 22.1g
- Saturated Fat: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
- Sodium: 896mg
- Carbohydrates: 24.7g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 7.7g
Making this recipe? Why not take a quick shot and share it on Instagram! Make sure to tag it #ASpicyPerspective so we can see what you're cooking!