Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle with Cran-Pomegranate Sauce
Today I’m participating in a virtual Holiday Brunch Potluck, with a Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle with Cran-Pomegranate Sauce.
I’m serving a gorgeous Pumpkin Trifle with old fashioned gingerbread, whipped pumpkin cream, and tangy cranberry pomegranate sauce. To me, these are the flavors that SCREAM holidays, so why not combine them in a vibrant festive showcase?
The gingerbread trifle base starts with dense traditional gingerbread, a heavy, lightly sweetened cake with intense flavor. Light and fluffy pumpkin cream adds contrast to the gingerbread, while the sweet and tart cranberry sauce offers POP with pomegranate essence and a splash of raspberry liqueur. Every holiday dessert needs a little boozy nip to warm the tummy on cold winter evenings.
This Pumpkin Trifle is a feast for the eyes, as well as the palate. In addition, it makes a fantastic edible centerpiece for your holiday table.
Make sure to check out all the glorious dishes on the potluck menu below!
Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle with Cranberry Pomegranate Sauce – Sommer
Almond Brickle Coffee Cake – Kathy from Cooking On the Side
Gingerbread Cupcakes with Brown Sugar Buttercream – Cheryl from TidyMom
Party Favor/Hostess Gift
Dark Chocolate Bark with Ginger, Pumpkin Seeds and Apricots – Sylvie from Gourmande in the Kitchen
For the Cranberry-Pomegranate Sauce:
For the Gingerbread:
- Place a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Place all the ingredients for the cranberry sauce in the pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat a little and simmer for 10-15 minutes to thicken. The sauce should be a thin jelly consistency that will thicken when it chills. Remove from heat and place in the fridge.
- For the gingerbread, grease an 8x8-inch baking dish and preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk the oil, sugar, molasses, egg, spices and salt together until smooth. Slowly add the flour and whisk until well combined.
- Heat 1/2 cup tap water until it’s hot to the touch. Mix the baking soda into the hot water, then slowly whisk the water into the batter. Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 45 minutes.
- Once cooled flip out of the pan and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- For the pumpkin cream, whip 1 cup of heavy cream with an electric mixer. Set the whipped cream aside, and using a separate bowl, beat the cream cheese, pumpkin puree, sugar and pumpkin pie spice together until fluffy and smooth. Scrape the bowl and gently beat the whipped cream into the pumpkin mixture.
- Once the cranberry sauce has chilled, start layering the gingerbread trifle: 1/3 cake cubes on the bottom, 1/3 pumpkin cream, half the cranberry sauce. Repeat. On the top, place the last 1/3 of gingerbread cubes and top with the last of the pumpkin cream. Garnish with fresh pomegranate arils. You should have 3 layers of cake, 3 layers of cream, and 2 layers of cranberry.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!