Parmesan Pesto Chicken Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Parmesan Pesto Chicken – Simple and sensational pesto chicken served over fresh summer pasta salad. This pesto chicken pasta dish is sure to be your new go-to dish this season!
Simple Chicken Bake
Less is More. The older I get, the more often I find I stand by this motto.
I don’t want my house to be full of stuff, trying to keep up with the Jones’. We are experience-driven people and would rather spend our money on memory making, instead of nesting.
And I certainly don’t want to throw extra ingredients into a recipe, just for the sake of making it seem more chic or gourmet.
Good food does not always have to be complicated.
Anyone that thinks otherwise is trying too hard, in my opinion. Often the simple things in life provide the most satisfaction. And that’s exactly how I feel about today’s pesto chicken.
Simple Dinner Plans
When I’m in a hurry, yet want to make something wonderful, I often rub DeLallo’s traditional basil pesto over chicken breasts. Then I sprinkle the top with shaved parmesan cheese, and bake it. The basil pesto provides rich sweet and savory flavors to the juicy chicken, and the parmesan baked into an effortless nutty crust.
While the pesto chicken is in the oven, I have time to make the gorgeous summery italian pasta salad I shared before on the blog.
The combination of the fresh cool citrus, golden tomatoes, basil, and pasta, with the hot crusty pesto chicken makes the most amazing pesto chicken pasta ever!
I love this dinner duo so much. And I think you will too.
Pesto Chicken Ingredients
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- DeLallo Traditional Basil Simply Pesto
- Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
This recipe consists of three carefully selected ingredients: organic chicken breast, DeLallo Simply Pesto (Traditional Basil), and fresh shaved parmesan cheese.
That’s it. (Oh, and a little salt and pepper.)
How to Make this Chicken Pesto Bake
- Make sure to preheat the oven first, to get it to the temperature needed to bake. Set the oven at 400 degrees F. Place the chicken into a square (or rectangular) baking dish and pat them dry with some paper towels. This will help with the crispness on the outside along with the pesto and cheese.
- Scoop some of the pesto over each chicken breast and spread it in an even layer. Turn the chicken pieces over and do the same thing to the bottom piece of the chicken.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper on top of the chicken, then also sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top of the salt and pepper.
- The size of the chicken breast you have determines the time of baking (whether they are small or large-sized pieces of chicken). When the chicken comes out of the oven, allow it time to rest and cool off for about five minutes.
- Slice and serve over our Italian Summer Pasta or with any other side dishes that you made.
Get The Full (Printable) Recipe Below For How To Make Parmesan Pesto Chicken.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are you sure about the short cook time?
Yes, this was not a typo! Since the temperature of the oven is so high, the chicken doesn’t need to be in the oven as long as you might think. If the chicken pieces are on the smaller side, then 15 minutes in the oven will fully cook the chicken while creating a nice cheesy crust. If the chicken pieces are bigger, then bake it for 20 minutes for the fully cooked chicken and cheesy crust.
How do you know when the chicken is fully cooked?
The internal temperature of the chicken should be at 165 degrees F to be fully cooked and considered safe for eating. If you don’t have a thermometer, touch the center of the chicken. If it seems to bounce back immediately it is most likely done. It should feel soft, but tight… Not hard and dry.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
- No-Boil Chicken Parmesan Pasta Recipe
- Pesto Baked Chicken Tortellini Recipe
- Parmesan Lemon Chicken and Rice Skillet Recipe
- Creamy Parmesan Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe
- Healthy Pesto Chicken Kabobs with Cool Quinoa Pilaf Recipe
- Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Shells Recipe
- Tavern Fried Chicken Recipe
Parmesan Pesto Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast 2 large or 3-4 average breasts
- 1/4 cup DeLallo Traditional Basil Simply Pesto
- 3 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place the chicken breasts in a rimmed baking dish and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Scoop 1/4 cup DeLallo Simply Pesto on the chicken and rub to coat the chicken on both sides. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then top each chicken breast with shaved parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked through. Allow the chicken to rest for at least five minutes. Then slice and serve over Italian Pasta Salad with Sweet Oranges, Basil and Golden Tomatoes.
Making this recipe? Follow us on Instagram and tag @ASpicyPerspective so we can share what you’re cooking!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by DeLallo Foods. All opinions are my own.
I’ve made this several times. So easy and very good!
This is so easy to marinate and make! Delicious. I love the Italian salad that you paired it with too.
Love how easy this was to make! We added it to the lemon basil pasta salad we eat during the summer. It was so juicy and will be a repeater in our house.
Thanks for allowing me to impress my family! This recipe is so easy to follow and full of flavor. It was a hit with everyone.
Pingback: Summer Picnic Food Ideas
Pingback: Parmesan Pesto Chicken – Walrus recipes
This looks lovely! I love quick easy meals with just a couple ingredients! I do something really similar with Roasted Red Pepper Pesto and chicken in the crock pot. Just shred it up and throw it on some noodles with some shredded Asiago!
I have a roasted corn salad that this would serve perfectly over!!!! thinking about trying out that combo tonight :)
Goodness . I love this.. perfect summer picnic dish..
Perfect weeknight dinner!! Love simple meals like this :)
Pesto is so wonderful for brightening a dish and that salad is gorgeous!
I am totally with you on “less is more” and I soooo want this chicken. So simple, yet actually so elegant in a way.
This is wonderful- added to my 3-ingredient recipes Pinterest board!
I love your philosophy. A complicated recipe is fun—at times. There is not enough time is such a tired statement. I don’t even like to say it. However there are so many things I am involved in that I have filled up my time slots. BUT I still like to eat tasty food. This is such a perfect and special representation of what can be done. It’s the reminder of not focusing on the problems—not enough time—and focusing on a solution.
This looks like a fabulous meal to whip up during the week! I adore DeLallo products!
Love this and it’s a great weeknight meal!
Bake only 15-20 minutes??? Is that a typo? I don’t think I would trust a large chicken breast to be cooked completely in that period of time. The recipe sounds yummy except for the short cooking time.
Hey Wanda, with the temperature so high, the chicken cooks through faster (15 mins for small breasts and 20 mins for large) while still creating a nice cheesy crust. Promise!
Oh, I love fast, easy and delicious meals like this- great chicken Sommer!
this looks perfect! I need to find some of that pesto in a major way!
This is GORGEOUS, Sommer!
Love DeLallo’s pesto!
Now this is a stunning pasta salad. Love the sweet oranges in there :)
Love your philosophy that you don’t throw in an ingredient in a dish just b/c it’ll make it more chic! Love your re-use of your pasta and adding pesto chicken on top – great idea!!
Sometimes you just need a quick yummy recipe in your arsenal when you’re pressed for time and most of us are these days. Sounds yummy and looks pretty!
I need to try this pesto. So many jarred pestos are so flat but I have faith in delallo! PS: Love those tomatoes!
The tomatoes were delish Liz!
I love simple dishes like this, totally amazing for summer!
Thank you Gaby!
Love how quick this is for a perfect weeknight meal!
Thank you Tieghan
Look absolutely delicious! We love pesto.
So nice and quick, easy and tasty!
These are my favorite meals – ones where the ingredients shine! LOVE that there is only 2 ingredients (not counting chicken, salt and pepper) and pesto and parmesan are such a YUM combo! Pinned!
Thank you Taylor!